Never thought it would come to this

swissie

4 hours ago, JSixpack said:

I think what's changed is merely that after more than 3 decades of tourism Pattaya Thais have learned to recognize at a glance a tight old fart who probably posts whinges and Thai bashes on TVF. I have a lot of friendly interactions w/ Thais in Pattaya. :smile:

The only bone I can throw out for you disaffected is the crucial revelation—good news, ultimately—that Pattaya treats you differently. It's merely trying to help you reach ASAP the terminal "last nail in the coffin" and "killed the goose" gibbering stage and bugger off. After all, that would be best for you and spare the rest of us more of your bashing. It's the only way, as reasoning is utterly futile.

Fact is, now, that Pattaya somehow detects your puckered sphincter even before you start mindlessly chanting the forum wank-words: "tea money," "scam," "promenade," "dead," "tunnel," "condo glut," "stupid," "unwanted," "quality tourists," "targeted," "shoddy," family resort," "CCTV," "pollution," "Ocean 1," "balcony," "lowest ever," "inside job," "jet ski," "tour buses, " "minivan," "baht bus driver," "Chinese," "TAT," "Starbucks," blah, blah, blah. (Whew! Need me a cold shower . . . .) KNOWS that you just ain't gonna be able to enjoy our street carnival daily. Never gon' let a due appreciation for surreal sidewalks, cold Chang from a 7/11, a cheap haircut, and classic Pattaya double bubble sandwich massages outweigh what you think are the negatives.

You just ain't no hansum man and that's all there is to it. Why? Who knows. Maybe you're too superior. Too negative. Too weak; too delicate. Too inflexible. Too intolerant. Can't accept risk. No street smarts. Can't learn any Thai. Don't have the money. Can't find a way to cope. Whatever. You can be in Pattaya but never of Pattaya.

So Pattaya simply figures that, in the absence of all hope of your redemption and achieving true cesspoolian status, you gotta go.

What Pattaya's Gon' Do For Ya

So Pattaya's gon' warp the local reality surrounding you personally to help you reach ASAP the terminal "last nail in the coffin" and "killed the goose" gibbering stage.

In all benevolence, with your very best interests at heart, cashiers shortchange you without even a smile; mechanics leave lug nuts off your wheels; dentists extract the wrong teeth; parking attendants suddenly appear in vacant lots; barbers give you white sidewalls; ladies all have unexpected appendages; baht bus drivers charge you 20 baht; Air Asia won't refund your money; ISPs block and throttle your internet; ATMs swallow your cards; loud music or karaoke plays nearby so you can't sleep; the pumping station by the entrance to Walking Street stinks at you. And your eyesight! The shops at CentralFestival seem always empty. Bars are filled with those golden eggs-laying geese, but you can't see 'em!

Yeah, everything just piles on to make your life as miserable as possible. Oh, torture without end. Oh, whingeing, cynical, fatuous posts without end.

Obviously, now, the beach has biases against certain people and so it treats them differently. If an old doomsayer walks near, it will immediately send a turd floating by to be the subject of a later indignant TV forum rant against The Great Satan: City Hall. City Hall is always wasting and stealing their flyspeck of tax paid.

JSixpack, on 2014-05-17 17:57:06

The idea is for you to take the sphincter, shut up and ah! bugger off to find happiness in a different country entirely whence you won't be coming back to Pattaya and, one HOPES (as it's not always the case), can forget about Thailand. And then start bashing and whinging about that country instead. Here for example in the paradise of Portugal is an obvious Pattaya refugee:

Whatever happened to the noise abatement act?

I KNOW it's summer,I KNOW everyone is outside having fun! Actually the tourists aren't the problem..It's the wretched services..Maybe it's me?but has anyone else noticed how b****y noisy all the garden equipment is these days.?We no longer use our gardeners because quite frankly-they don't garden!.What they do is TRIM and BLOW. They use industrial size hellishly noisy machines to reduce shrubs,hedges and even some trees into bald submission.Ditto for the very few lawns we have around us. They don't coordinate this activity either, they do it on every single day of the week bar sunday,and at every concievable time from 7.30 am onwards.I know I sound like a GOW,but at least I know it will magically stop at the end of the season.The poor tourists have PAID for this awful intrusion. This area is known as the Areio do Sonho..Place of dreams...hardly!!!

Anyone else as fed up as I am over this ever increasing mechanical intrusion?

GeniB, NOISE!!!

Here Ya Go

Lemme give you a nudge in the right direction; anything for a good cause. Reading material:

thalandcambodia.jpg.ed8ae4fd9c7866444c094a4eefc08ccf.jpg

Emigration patterns from Patters

you know you have reached rock bottom, when you quote yourself as a reference in your own posts!

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, uffe123 said:

Any more Thailand really sucks. You cant breathe the air, you cant get a good beer, all the vegges are laced with pesticides, Paraquat one of the most deadly pesticides, banned in Europe. The military have confiscated all the farm land from the farmers and are telling them what to plant. Prices are going through the roof for food. 

Time to leave this place so I can at least live a few more years of my retirement without having emphysema or lung cancer.

Been here for over 20 years and it used to be a decent place, but greed has take over and "they" dont give a chit about the common  poor Thai person.

Pity those people who dont have the luxury to leave.

Always look on the bright side!

21 hours ago, swissie said:

Not quite. Over the years, I have spent about the same amount of time in rural areas as I have spent in Pattaya. Travelled exensively. Had my domicile in a small village in the sticks for almost 5 years.
I never considered myself as a "Pattaya-Addict".

But it is in Pattaya, where I notice a detoriation of friendly interactions between Thai's/Farangs, not in rural Thailand.
My thread is about Pattaya, not Thailand as a whole.

As I mentioned in my OP, I can tolerate and accept a certain amount of change. I just came to the conclusion, that if negative changes outweigh positive changes, this might be a good time to leave. And I did. No big deal. The "Pattaya-Wheel" will keep on turning. Although to me, the "Pattaya-Wheel" is staring to take the shape and form of a downward spiral. And I am not the only one.
Cheers.  

If I had arrived in Pattaya 20 years ago and decided to ruin it, I'd do everything that has been done in the past 20 years.

It's not surprising to me that people don't like it as much now.

The line about Thai friendliness never having been genuine is bullshit! You can’t throw all the Thais into one pot! I lived in Thailand for 10 years and I got to know lots of genuine friendly Thais over the years! They’re hard to find in the typical tourist places, though, because they have to put up with lots of nagging  tourists all the time. I can’t really blame them, though. I witnessed lots of tourist tantrums about nothing really. If I had to put up with that on a daily basis I probably wouldn’t be in the best mood either! 

And what a lot of the falangs don’t understand is that Thais hate confrontation. So when the ones that don’t like confrontation get into a confrontation their default mechanism is to smile, which the falangs then mistake for not being genuine friendly. Learn to read between the lines, guys!

Also, bargirls getting fatter is an argument that can come only from a chauvinist. 

Finally, in case it slipped your attention: the entire world is getting more expensive over time, why should Thailand be an exception?! 

On 2/9/2018 at 1:10 AM, swissie said:

It's not about leisure activities or the price of beer. It's about the detoriating interaction of Thai's and Farangs.

The Polo Players living in their gated communities are ill equipped to comment on the "state of affairs" concerning Pattaya. I realise, that a membership in Pattaya at the Country-Club (with Golf Course"), costs probably 90 % less than Pebble-Beach.

Cheers.

Nothing is like it used to be is it?

Nothing is as good as it was.

Because you're OLD.

On 2/9/2018 at 12:21 AM, swissie said:

"Him know too much". Ergo: Can not be overcharged

Thais don't say this.  The vast majority have little to no knowledge of the objective forms of pronouns, so the above will most consistently come out as, "He know too much."

On 09/02/2018 at 4:18 AM, ezzra said:

I happen to bar-monger in several girly entertainment countries in my younger hay days,

non of those places got any better in the way of friendlier or cheaper and better looking

'hostesses' they went downhill, sign of the time, government regulations, morals have changed

and people become more lazy...

Here's a Like, just for surviving all that bar-mongering.

10 hours ago, fordguy61mi said:

Reminds me of being a young US Marine in the early 80s. I was stationed in Okinawa and the Okinawans in town would smile as we handed them our money but we all knew they hated us. We were their income so they had to be nice. I think it’s probably the same everywhere in tourist areas. I think you can cultivate relationships and make genuine friends outside of those areas, but you really shouldn’t expect too much from them in those areas. It kind of amuses me that someone goes to someone else’s country and then complains about their prostitutes.

Likewise fordguy, I've never worked in another country, and felt genuinely welcome.  I've felt tolerated, at times approaching acceptance, but never welcome.   They knew we were needed there, but there was always an undercurrent that made me feel uneasy.

The possible exception was Cambodia in the early 2000's, but I suspect as the country gets on its feet after their terrible time under Pol Pot, and its people become more independent, the resentment will creep in.

Why do those leaving have to announce it to the world? Do they tell the world they are now going for a dump?

Were not going to talk you out of your stupid decision. 

But, he'll continue posting on TV and mostly likely will be like the other high posters, a non resident.

4 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Why do those leaving have to announce it to the world? Do they tell the world they are now going for a dump?

Were not going to talk you out of your stupid decision. 

But, he'll continue posting on TV and mostly likely will be like the other high posters, a non resident.

There are no rules on posting intentions, or posting by non residents.

14 hours ago, lagavulin1 said:

Went in 2006 with wife to be. Quiet clean beach but noisy on the strip.

Returned 2013. Beach covered with horse and donkey shit. Water packed with kite surfers. Not my place at all. Leave tonray to answer on the other sorts of pattayafication.

HH was ok til about 2007. Totally ruined since with buildings blocking the beach.

8 hours ago, tlock said:

I lived in Pattaya for 10 years and loved it, and I moved away at the end of 2016.  Just another vote that it's definitely gotten shittier.  

Oddly, I stopped visiting in about 2006 because I thought the place had become unbearable, the further back in time you go, the better it was -  I thought it was great in the 1990's but there's no way I'd even visit today.

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

Oddly, I stopped visiting in about 2006 because I thought the place had become unbearable, the further back in time you go, the better it was -  I thought it was great in the 1990's but there's no way I'd even visit today.

Peoole say that every decade about beach locations. Development does ruin them. Thais are experts at it.

It's not just beach resorts it's pretty much the whole country. Any country that endures 35 million tourists every year is going to suffer some negative impacts, in Thailands case those visitors are focussed on about a dozen different locations which mean those areas suffer disproportionately. Not only has the infrastructure not kept pace with tourist growth numbers but things such as zoning laws and refuse collection and disposal are seriously outdated or have never been properly formulated in the first place. I fear that in ten years or so time, unless something changes substantially, many of those dozen or so locations will also become unattractive and Thailand will become a decaying and empty theme park that nobody wants to visit.

17 hours ago, Acemaker said:

Some people need more than one Shower a day, usually the sweaty smelly ones.

In the tropics everyone showers 2 or more times a day unless they are happy being sweaty and smelly.

On holidays if you are active during the day more like 4 or 5 times. You already paid for room.

I stay, after a few years in Hua Hin, now sins 4 years in Korat and i feel great. Nearly no

farangs and if i want to meet some i go to the mall.

Last year i want to visit with my thai wife a friend in Pattaya. After a stay from only one hour my

wife want to go back to Korat, she said 'thats not Thailand here' and was ashamed what's going

on in that part of her country.

2 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

It's not just beach resorts it's pretty much the whole country. Any country that endures 35 million tourists every year is going to suffer some negative impacts, in Thailands case those visitors are focussed on about a dozen different locations which mean those areas suffer disproportionately. Not only has the infrastructure not kept pace with tourist growth numbers but things such as zoning laws and refuse collection and disposal are seriously outdated or have never been properly formulated in the first place. I fear that in ten years or so time, unless something changes substantially, many of those dozen or so locations will also become unattractive and Thailand will become a decaying and empty theme park that nobody wants to visit.

Not whole country, only places with tourism or growing cities.

1 minute ago, Justfine said:

Not whole country, only places with tourism or growing cities.

What tourists don't see in this exercise is the effect of tourism on the villages in the rural areas, ultimately the money earned from tourism flows back into the hinterland which then become a subset of the tourist destinations - unzoned, unplanned devlopments and covered in litter, the competition is on in many villages to build the biggest house! In the village where my MiL lives there is now an array of unproductive shops built in front of homes, all supported by relatives working in the tourist industry, the villages will barely support a single shop let alone the ten or more that exist currently.

Drive down the interprovincial expressways and you'll see one off themed business in the middle of nowhere, all hoping to catch some passing motorway trade - there's one just south of Lamphun with a herd of sheep in the field out front for gods sake. When we asked the owners why sheep she said, people will want to stop and see them and spend money here, this is her retirement business having previously made money out of tourism in the islands! Zoning and planning laws would go a long way here, not just to stop people getting on the tourism bandwagon but also to control the urban sprawl.

2 hours ago, swissman53 said:

I stay, after a few years in Hua Hin, now sins 4 years in Korat and i feel great. Nearly no

farangs and if i want to meet some i go to the mall.

Last year i want to visit with my thai wife a friend in Pattaya. After a stay from only one hour my

wife want to go back to Korat, she said 'thats not Thailand here' and was ashamed what's going

Not sure if this job is still available, but why not have a look?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/09/27/hermit-switzerland-michael-daum/91164116/

Why a Swiss town pays $24,000 a year for a hermit

GENEVA — Wanted: Hermit to live in secluded cave-like cabin to take care of nearby chapel and gorge, dispense wisdom and talk to tourists. Position pays $24,000 a year, plus room and board and a paid vacation. ........

3 hours ago, swissman53 said:

I can't stand 2 minutes in the company of someone like that.

The worst ones are the ones that used to live in Pattaya meet someone and go off somewhere to farang land to live and come back for a holiday and think their shi% don't stink! Get the <deleted>% away from me!

On 2/9/2018 at 12:45 AM, Ruffian Dick said:

Yeah, you'll love the smoke.

The smoke is now a fraction of what it was when I first moved here 10 years ago.  Back then there were 3 housing estates in a 5 klm distance, with acres and acres of rice paddies.  The burning season was horrible.  Now?  Not a rice paddy in sight.  New housing developments, stores, you name it.  I don't know where you live, but where I live there is no smoke problems any more. 

5 hours ago, swissman53 said:

Perfect! So then you said, "OK, see you to the station, ready to leave now? Say hello to *mae for me. See ya in a week or two! Miss ya, babe."

18 hours ago, Mansell said:

Do you want to live in a place with genuine Thai people, or a place full of bars and the ladies that serve there?

Simplistic binary thinking. Pattaya has both, I can assure you. I deal w/ genuine Thai people in Pattaya all the time.

Pattaya 20 years ago was much more laid back, way quieter for sure. There were no malls, no Chinese or korean tour busses, and a lot less lady boys; and it seemed safer.

These days it is what it is......for me it’s a love hate relationship❤️?

21 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

And what a lot of the falangs don’t understand is that Thais hate confrontation. So when the ones that don’t like confrontation get into a confrontation their default mechanism is to smile, which the falangs then mistake for not being genuine friendly. Learn to read between the lines, guys!

Also, bargirls getting fatter is an argument that can come only from a chauvinist. 

Finally, in case it slipped your attention: the entire world is getting more expensive over time, why should Thailand be an exception?! 

Thais have no problem with confrontation as long as they outnumber the opposition 10 to 1.

I guess you were not around when there was no such thing as an obese bargirl, while now plump is the norm.

If saying that makes me a chauvinist, OK. 

Price of food and accommodation has gone up minimally in real terms over 30 years, but price of bar girls and drinks has gone up far far more than normal inflation, while the service has been getting worse.

Archived