Never thought it would come to this

swissie

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/9/2018 at 7:44 AM, LennyW said:

From the OP's previous posts .....i am surprised it has taken this long, non stop complainer!!!

Can post complaints in the HH forum after. Trouble is, complainers usually love complaining about Pattaya after they've left. Gives meaning to life, I suppose.

1 minute ago, JSixpack said:

Can post complaints in the HH forum after. Trouble is, complainers usually love complaining about Pattaya after they've left. Gives meaning to life, I suppose.

I've seen these people bounce from Pattaya to HH to CM. Why don't they get some wheels and drive around looking at other places or book some cheap flights and see what's out there?

22 hours ago, norrska said:

And I bet everyone still calls you hansum sexy man....maybe they also lowered their standards?:sleepy:

That is fine with me.  I shower every day, do not smell badly, do not not abuse anybody and pay fair prices and tip pretty well.  They are free to think whatever they want.

On 2/9/2018 at 12:34 AM, tonray said:

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high but at least the damage is contained to a few Sois in HH. Pattaya has not been very "Thai-ish" for a decade now. 

I would say that Pattaya hasnt been "Thai-ish" for a lot longer than the last decade, infact, has Pattaya EVER been Thaish"

14 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I would say that Pattaya hasnt been "Thai-ish" for a lot longer than the last decade, infact, has Pattaya EVER been Thaish"

Banglamung is Thaish yet very close by. Why move as far as HH and have to ride the ferry back and forth?

Gotta agree with the OP and if you put a 1 in front of his total trips of 48 you're still nowhere near mine

Times have changed. Internet let the genie outa the bottle over Pattaya as it took off with forums after the turn of the century

Adapt to it or give up

On 2/8/2018 at 12:37 PM, champers said:

If you can't last more than a month in Pattaya you won't last more than a week in Hua Hin.

Unless a beach destination is a must, give Chiang Mai a try. 

Nonsense. Hua Hin has completely different  demographics. The quality and type of services reflect that demographic.

1 hour ago, Justfine said:

Phuket/Samui would suit you. Much nicer beaches. HH is for old Euro families and Thais on weekend trips. HH is a boring place.

Old Euro families? What does that mean?  Palm Beach & San Diego USA, the South of France, Sardinia, Whistler, BC all attract their version of upscale "old" people too. However, there are also large  numbers of young people. The difference is that the young people skew to an educated,  middle class to wealthy demographic. Hua Hin is for people who have better things to do than to sit in filthy cheap bars/whore houses. In HH, aside from the very small tourist ghetto, if one goes out for a drink, it typically  will be in a place with some ambiance and where the staff are not sex trade workers.
Yes there are  old farangs, but they are active and often in great physical shape. That's why they come with someone or have families.  They don't need to go the hooker route of Pattaya. 

You consider Hua Hin boring. Well, there is plenty of excitement and action to be had. It seems your idea of fun and excitement differs from those of us who are active and lead healthy stable lives. Hua Hin is for  active people. The beach is relatively empty so it is ideal for running or walking. There isn't a whore on every corner and no  transvestites/transexuals harassing anyone. Best of all, the  socio-ethnic demographic of foreigners is conducive to a pleasant environment.

44 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Nonsense. Hua Hin has completely different  demographics. The quality and type of services reflect that demographic.

Old Euro families? What does that mean?  Palm Beach & San Diego USA, the South of France, Sardinia, Whistler, BC all attract their version of upscale "old" people too. However, there are also large  numbers of young people. The difference is that the young people skew to an educated,  middle class to wealthy demographic. Hua Hin is for people who have better things to do than to sit in filthy cheap bars/whore houses. In HH, aside from the very small tourist ghetto, if one goes out for a drink, it typically  will be in a place with some ambiance and where the staff are not sex trade workers.
Yes there are  old farangs, but they are active and often in great physical shape. That's why they come with someone or have families.  They don't need to go the hooker route of Pattaya. 

You consider Hua Hin boring. Well, there is plenty of excitement and action to be had. It seems your idea of fun and excitement differs from those of us who are active and lead healthy stable lives. Hua Hin is for  active people. The beach is relatively empty so it is ideal for running or walking. There isn't a whore on every corner and no  transvestites/transexuals harassing anyone. Best of all, the  socio-ethnic demographic of foreigners is conducive to a pleasant environment.

My comment was directed at the OP, who clearly stated what his preferred type of holiday was, and my comment to him was purely on that basis. 

Try not to fall off your high horse.

6 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

I recommend a good diet and exercise program, intermingled with a wide selection of naughty massages.:smile:

Pattaya is being transformed in to a mass tourism destination. I can try and ignore that, but all it takes is a walk along the beach to confirm it.:sad:

Agree that it's becoming a mass tourism destination, but I'm puzzled as to why, given it's got nothing attractive about it ( outside the bars ).

Only explanation I can come up with is that the places they come from must be REALLY horrible.

5 hours ago, Jip99 said:

God’s waiting room it may be......... but it is better furnished than Chiang Mai.

I have never found a decent view talay in CM.

IMO no difference between them other than one having a beach that vanishes at high tide and horse poo.

Both are boring.

However, boring is not necessarily bad. I'm happy with boring at the moment. When I'm not I'll go elsewhere.

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

That's funny. Place is apparently full of people that only look like Thais, but aren't. 5555555555555

Well, would consisting only of a small fishing village be sufficient to qualify for the elusive "Thaish" label?

3 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

I agree with part of that, but unless you are saying the "quality" of services suck in HH I have to disagree with that part.

Hua Hin is for people who have better things to do than to sit in filthy cheap bars/whore houses.

Plenty of filthy bars/ whore houses in HH, but not cheap, for sure.

They don't need to go the hooker route of Pattaya. 

Perhaps you didn't get out much on your visit to Pattaya, but no one was ever forced to go the "hooker route" in Pattaya, and many farangs live there without ever going anywhere near a hooker.

The beach is relatively empty so it is ideal for running or walking.

Best not to do that at high tide as there is no beach then due to all the illegal reclamation below high tide mark

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO no difference between them other than one having a beach that vanishes at high tide and horse poo.

Both are boring.

However, boring is not necessarily bad. I'm happy with boring at the moment. When I'm not I'll go elsewhere.

Indeed.

I used to live in a village and occasionally go to Skegness for a ‘fix’.

Nothing much has changed really, Pattaya is simply a Skeg Vegas on steroids.

58 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's funny. Place is apparently full of people that only look like Thais, but aren't. 5555555555555

Well, would consisting only of a small fishing village be sufficient to qualify for the elusive "Thaish" label?

No, I didnt say that they were not Thais !!!!!!!!!

If you do not understand what I meant, I have no time to explain 

7 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Just for the record, Pattaya also has plenty of people, including my partner and I, who 'have better things to do than to sit in filthy cheap bars/whore houses' .  And, there are tons of nice places to go here where the staff are not 'sex trade workers'.  With more added every day.  That's what's great about Pattaya--something for everyone.  We checked out HH a few years ago and, to quote Gertrude Stein, there's no there there.  At least for us.  But, to each his own. 

On 9.2.2018 at 1:54 AM, simoh1490 said:

If bars and hookers are an important part of your lifestyle here, how can you possibly attack the decline of Thai/farang relationships overall, mostly on the basis of those two things - and if Pattaya and tourist destinations are your sole focus, why not consider the opposite, non-tourist denominated locations, you seem to have existed in a microcosom of the real Thailand, and arguably the seediest part at that!

Is Hua Hin going to be any different for you.....I doubt it, it sounds like it's your attitude that needs to change.

Not quite. Over the years, I have spent about the same amount of time in rural areas as I have spent in Pattaya. Travelled exensively. Had my domicile in a small village in the sticks for almost 5 years.
I never considered myself as a "Pattaya-Addict".

But it is in Pattaya, where I notice a detoriation of friendly interactions between Thai's/Farangs, not in rural Thailand.
My thread is about Pattaya, not Thailand as a whole.

As I mentioned in my OP, I can tolerate and accept a certain amount of change. I just came to the conclusion, that if negative changes outweigh positive changes, this might be a good time to leave. And I did. No big deal. The "Pattaya-Wheel" will keep on turning. Although to me, the "Pattaya-Wheel" is staring to take the shape and form of a downward spiral. And I am not the only one.
Cheers.  

After working all year in Myanmar, I spend my annual holiday in Pattaya.

Nope, it's not for the bar-girls, bar-boys or bars. I like central Pattaya for the friendly Thai people (of all social classes), the beach promenade for early-morning jogging and people-watching, the ease and low-cost public transport, the huge choice of restaurants and selection of food in the supermarkets.....

I used to work in Pattaya some years ago (software Engineer and volunteer tourist police translator). Pattaya and Jomtien both offer something to keep everyone happy.

My only moan is about Tony's gyms, which seem to have ancient and badly-maintained exercise equipment. Apart from that, Pattaya floats my boat :)

11 hours ago, swissie said:

Not quite. Over the years, I have spent about the same amount of time in rural areas as I have spent in Pattaya. Travelled exensively. Had my domicile in a small village in the sticks for almost 5 years.
I never considered myself as a "Pattaya-Addict".

But it is in Pattaya, where I notice a detoriation of friendly interactions between Thai's/Farangs, not in rural Thailand.
My thread is about Pattaya, not Thailand as a whole.

As I mentioned in my OP, I can tolerate and accept a certain amount of change. I just came to the conclusion, that if negative changes outweigh positive changes, this might be a good time to leave. And I did. No big deal. The "Pattaya-Wheel" will keep on turning. Although to me, the "Pattaya-Wheel" is staring to take the shape and form of a downward spiral. And I am not the only one.
Cheers.  

You have got to try and write a hit single with that catchy thread  title, "Never thought it would come to this".    It's got a bit of sizzle like a Whitney Houston song, or Dionne Warwick's "I'll Never Love This Way Again"

I was invited to a New Year party by the women at the salon where I have my hair cut. They and their husbands/boyfriends/ parents/siblings made sure I was included in all aspects and had a good time. Your experience depends on the company you keep and how you interact.

The Thais that work out at my gym are very nice and also helpful.

Pattaya still has places as friendly as they were when I retired here in 2003 .......... you just need to find them. It's no good going to the same places you've been to over the years ........ you need to broaden your horizons. Transport is essential to do this & I very carefully ride around on my bike looking for new places to visit during the day time. It amazing what you can find when you set your target each day to find a new place, you meet new people ....... & also new friends, not the same old faces you see every pool or darts league nights. With "pc plod" on the prowl these days it does make life difficult enjoying life in the evening with a a few beers, however I get over that problem with staying overnight wherever I end up & home in the late morning ....... or afternoon dependant on how lucky I've been! There's still something for everyone here, but avoid Walking Street, your local bars as they are full of "SAS" men & tourist areas ........... it's a fun place & I still enjoy life here after 15yrs. Sun, sea & sand ....... plus cheap living.

Archived