Australian man victim of violent assault in popular Pattaya bar - report

Jonathan Fairfield

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Self defence repeatedly kicking the guy in the face and head while he is down??????

He was pre-defending himself. If the guy can’t get up he’s safe.... maybe.

Pretty low act stomping on a guys head. To do it multiple times is indefensible.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, FinChin67 said:

What ever the technicality etc. I am ok with as long as the thug goes to Thai prison for minimum of 25 years for taking another persons life.

Why sometimes justice can be served on the streets 

6 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

He was pre-defending himself. If the guy can’t get up he’s safe.... maybe.

Pretty low act stomping on a guys head. To do it multiple times is indefensible.

He must have  pissed them off 2 sides to every story 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, puffy said:

Murder does not require premeditation, the law is clear, if the act is likely to cause death in the eyes of a reasonable person it is murder.

For example the guy who drove the wrong way down a highway and killed someone was charged with murder. This was because a reasonable

person would be able to fore see that this action is likely to cause a persons death. A premeditated murder will often result in a longer jail term.

The question as to whether this is murder is whether a normal person in the same circumstances could predict that his actions would likely 

result in that persons death.Stop getting your info from movies.

How do you know it was not premeditated he might have had fantasies of stomping on somebodys head until they were dead and then take photos , a suitable sentance would be to put him in a jail cell and let the relatives of the deceased go in there kick him till he is unconscious then wait till he wakesup and stomp on his head 3 times for good luck ! then put him in front of the firing squad as they do in thailand and if he still has not apologised shoot him in the balls and take pictures of it and laugh and joke in front of him to show him what its like to have it done to him and then finish him off with firing squad !! NOW THATS JUSTICE !! ha ha  

7 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

"Thaivisa hasn’t been able to confirm the incident and has received conflicting reports on the condition of the victim, with one witness saying the victim later died in hospital"

This isn't stated categorically in the article (only by "a witness").

The headline doesn't mention a fatality either.

Do try to keep up!

Australian Sun Herald newspaper reported

Thai police identify Melbourne man brutally killed in bar.

Fatal bashing Benjamin Mathew Robb, 42, has been identified as the man killed after being brutally punched and stomped on in a notorious Thai party town.

That should confirm the incident that took place and that the victim has died

My thoughts go to those who were witnesses to this particularly those drinking  with this thug...

They were material witnesses and in such a incident giving false information or withholding evidence, including not staying to give the police vital information as they probably knew the thugs identity should be treated seriously.

Remember most of us are either tourists or longer term guests with no right of permanent residency and Thailand can deport if they so wish, tough if you have to cut short ones holiday, disastrous if one has job, family and/or property in Thailand.

1 hour ago, hottrader77 said:

but it would have gone well for me with my boxing and black belt in karate training 

Funny that one of the top guys in the world in BJJ says the only defense against an attack by a mob is to run like hell.  There is no martial art (except in the movies) that can defend against a mob.  And I'd characterize 5 drunks out looking for trouble as a mob- especially if they're so eager to get in someone's face.  You go ahead and risk it.  It's your life. 

Me, I'll run like a little girl.  Or better yet, not antagonize a bunch of proven crazies by flipping them off in the first place.

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

Funny that one of the top guys in the world in BJJ says the only defense against an attack by a mob is to run like hell.  There is no martial art (except in the movies) that can defend against a mob.  And I'd characterize 5 drunks out looking for trouble as a mob- especially if they're so eager to get in someone's face.  You go ahead and risk it.  It's your life. 

Me, I'll run like a little girl.  Or better yet, not antagonize a bunch of proven crazies in the first place.

Very good point about the mob attack.

to many wannabe movie watchers here who wanna be heroes.

BTW from the story it dont sound like the guy 'antagonized' the crazies. 

It says he was messing with a girl at the bar and the yank stepped in.

ill bet he probably blindsided him and the Aussie had no chance to recover.

Sad,

i also find very weird why people want to debate about laws and charges these guy should get?

debating western laws from a western viewpoint mean absolutely Jacksht here.

if they got big money the judge will make a big thing about how ge turns himself in.

then we wont hear a thing. 

just like the Aussie that ran over the Thai guy abd chased him with the machette.

what happened to him?

some news guys here really should do follow up on these stories but never heard of again

2 hours ago, roadrunner32 said:

It's not a manslaughter it's a voluntary murder. If you hit a head by punches and kicks using brutal force  you are well aware that this can lead a people to death. It's not like as in the movies that they always get up. Therefore no excuses no extenuating circumstances. 

mur·der

ˈmərdər/

noun

noun: murder; plural noun: murders

the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

"the stabbing murder of an off-Broadway producer"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

man·slaugh·ter

ˈmanˌslôdər/

noun

noun: manslaughter; plural noun: manslaughters

the crime of killing a human being without malice aforethought, or otherwise in circumstances not amounting to murder.

"the defendant was convicted of manslaughter"

------------------------------------------------------------------

Both are 'homicide.'

The key word to prosecute for murder is "Premeditation."  The police may 'charge' murder, but the courts will prosecute for Manslaughter unless they believe that they can prove premeditation.

It doesn't seem as if this man walked into the bar with plans of killing anyone. It happened during the fight.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, tingtongtourist said:

That comment about not flipping off crazies was aimed at the guy I was replying to, and not in reference to the OP.   He was pleased that he got off a couple of one finger salutes. 

I'd have just let it go.  It's not as if a belligerent drunk is going to recall being humbled by the finger the next day anyway.  But I remember every trip I've ever made to the hospital.  Fortunately, never for flipping off a bunch of drunks.

1 minute ago, FolkGuitar said:

It doesn't seem as if this man walked into the bar with plans of killing anyone. It happened during the fight.

Maybe not while walking into the bar, but stamping on a person's head 20 times while they are on the ground is trying to murder/kill them.

It's not like he punched the guy one time while standing and the guy fell over and somewhat randomly died ...that would be manslaughter in my eyes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, impulse said:

That comment about not flipping off crazies was aimed at the guy I was replying to, and not in reference to the OP.   He was pleased that he got off a couple of one finger salutes. 

I'd have just let it go.  It's not as if a belligerent drunk is going to recall being humbled by the finger the next day anyway.  But I remember every trip I've ever made to the hospital.  Fortunately, never for flipping off a bunch of drunks.

ok understood sorry.

I also agreed with your viewpoint. 

If it been a group of Thai guys he did it to i dont think he would have been walking away so good.

Guys who been here a while  you think about self preservation.

i dont know what goes through these other guys heads tho?

it must be a special kind of stupid.

just a first thought of.....

dealing with police, possible hospital term, long term injury, possible charges and jail sentance, big money payout, deported for 100 years..on and on 

for what?

idiots!

Just now, tingtongtourist said:

ok understood sorry.

I also agreed with your viewpoint. 

If it been a group of Thai guys he did it to i dont think he would have been walking away so good.

Guys who been here a while  you think about self preservation.

i dont know what goes through these other guys heads tho?

it must be a special kind of stupid.

just a first thought of.....

dealing with police, possible hospital term, long term injury, possible charges and jail sentance, big money payout, deported for 100 years..on and on 

for what?

idiots!

No apologies necessary...  Yours was a very reasoned post.

53 minutes ago, impulse said:

Me, I'll run like a little girl.  Or better yet, not antagonize a bunch of proven crazies by flipping them off in the first place.

i go in hard 1st eliminate the weight first. They rest are movement order. And the BJJ man you know is lieing 

41 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

ill bet he probably blindsided him and the Aussie had no chance to recover.

Sad,

i also find very weird why people want to debate about laws and charges these guy should get?

debating western laws from a western viewpoint mean absolutely Jacksht here.

if they got big money the judge will make a big thing about how ge turns himself in.

then we wont hear a thing. 

just like the Aussie that ran over the Thai guy abd chased him with the machette.

what happened to him?

some news guys here really should do follow up on these stories but never heard of again

oh bla bla get off the  sofa. I spent exactly 28 years training MA.boxing and BJJ..These yanks picked a weak mark. As l said wish I was there's 

God Bless

36 minutes ago, Air Smiles said:

Maybe not while walking into the bar, but stamping on a person's head 20 times while they are on the ground is trying to murder/kill them.

It's not like he punched the guy one time while standing and the guy fell over and somewhat randomly died ...that would be manslaughter in my eyes.

You're correct. He WAS trying to kill him. But he didn't plan it out beforehand. And THAT is the difference between 'murder' and 'manslaughter'  in the eyes of the law.

• Sad 1

I've never heard of this level of violence between farangs in Chiang Mai, perhaps the bargoers are older and more sensible.

I am really fed up with excuses being made as to being drunk/on drugs/provocation etc. All BS, someone who kills someone else is responsible. I hope the scumbag gets 40 years of cockroach sandwiches to think about what he has done.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, blankagain said:

who ever he is, he needs locking up for a long time. clearly a complete sick lunatic if the report is correct. and his mates too for being sick bastards taking photos

American Military guys?? might explain the lack of names photos etc

10 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

You're correct. He WAS trying to kill him. But he didn't plan it out beforehand. And THAT is the difference between 'murder' and 'manslaughter'  in the eyes of the law.

In the eyes of what or who's law.

Your definition is it written in Thailand's laws

It did not happen in the UK, USA, Australia or any other country, it happened here in Thailand and it comes under Thai law definition of murder or manslaughter

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Media1 said:

i go in hard 1st eliminate the weight first. They rest are movement order. And the BJJ man you know is lieing 

I agree (assuming you are in a situation that doesn't let you escape easily).
I was always taught to go for the biggest guy first because if you don't, he's going to get you anyways. Also, seeing you go after the biggest guy may make the others pause and if you can make him bleed (i.e. broken nose or busted mouth), the others may think twice about even joining the attack.

After the big guy, you go for the "mouth". The guy that's (usually) doing all the talking and egging everyone else on (while trying to keep a safe distance). His balls are almost always in direct proportion to the number of people he has helping him. Make him bleed and his balls shrivel in a hurry and the mouth stops. That could make the others pause or lose interest altogether as well. 

Of course, nothing ever happens on the street like you train for in the gym/dojo. Too many variables. That's why when you see videos of actual fights they often look ridiculous. 2 (or 3) guys throwing "slap fists" at each other and trying to kick each other in the shins because they can't lift their legs more than 6 inches off the ground.

As for this case, what pretty much everyone needs to keep in mind is that this is THAILAND and no one (in the Thai Justice system) gives a **** what constitutes murder or manslaughter in your home country.
Also, keep in mind that this is THAILAND and they don't have "jury" trials.
And no, the Americans can't just say "drop the charges and give him back to us because we don't think he should go to jail". 

• Like 1

Thai Criminal Code:

Section 290. Manslaughter

Whoever, causes death to the other person by inflicting injury upon the body of such person without intent to cause death, shall be punished with imprisonment of three to fifteen years.

If the offence being committed under any of the circumstances mentioned in Section 289, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment of three to twenty years.

Also note (for the people that laughed and took pictures):

Section 294. Death as a Result of Mob Activity

Whoever participates in a public order offense among three persons upwards, and any person, whether such person participated or not has died, shall be imprisoned not more of two years or fined not more of four thousand Baht, or both.

If the participant in such affray can show that he or she has acted so as to prevent such affray or in lawful defense, such participant shall not be punished.

17 hours ago, smedly said:

there are certainly bar brawls that happen but this was a particularly brutal attack that is not the norm, at some point during this serious assault it could be argued that the motive changed to "wanting to kill"

Someone died and the Thai police cannot and will not ignore that fact, if not murder it sure is manslaughter and will carry a hefty jail term, fish head soup for at least 15 years

I would also be doing a background check with the US authorities - if the account of what happened is even half right this thug will have previous form in the US

RIP to the guy 

America seems to be home to more than it's fair share of psychopaths and sociopaths. Levels of violence seem to escalate more quickly and more regularly there for whatever reasons. And some export that mentality and culture when travelling. Wild West mentality?

Remember the two American-Chinese students who carried out a very vicious assault on a young Aussie? The got away with it once one of their millionaire dad's whizzed in throwing his weight about. So will all depend on who this disgusting pyscho thug is; who his friends are; their connections and wealth. Sad, but based on previous that's how it is.

• Like 1