Student intern blows the whistle on poverty centre’s alleged Bt6.9 embezzlement scam

webfact

Student intern blows the whistle on poverty centre’s alleged Bt6.9 embezzlement scam

By SIVA LOHO 
THE NATION 

8ae974177be6b4232a24f64bbc46298d-sld.png

AN ONGOING investigation has found that several officials at the Khon Kaen Protection Centre for the Destitute have allegedly embezzled Bt6.9 million of state funds using forged signatures after an intern exposed alleged wrongdoing at the facility.

Panida Yotpanya, a 22-year-old student at the Mahasarakham University’s Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, alerted officials about the alleged wrongdoing and is a key witness in the case. 

“There is solid evidence against five officials,” Office of Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) assistant secretary-general Pol Lt-Colonel Wannop Somjintanakul said yesterday. 

Panida and three of her friends joined the Khon Kaen Protection Centre for the Destitute as student trainees and, during their apprenticeship, they were told to forge the signatures of more than 2,000 people.

The order prompted Panida and her friends to report the matter to their faculty. They also lodged complaints with the Social Development and Human Security Ministry. 

Worried that no concrete action had been taken against the officials had who ordered the forgery, Panida petitioned the PACC and the National Council for Peace and Order. 

In response to her complaint, Wannop yesterday led a team to Khon Kaen province to gather evidence, finding that people listed as having received financial help from the Khon Kaen Protection Centre for the Destitute either had not received any money or had received less than what the centre claimed they had received. 

Sopa Jomkhamsing, a member of a local occupational group, said the centre gave her group Bt30,000 in financial support but documents showed the group had received Bt90,000. 

Wannop said the PACC should be able to conclude its investigation in the case within six months. 

“We also plan to expand the investigation to cover all protection centres for the destitute in the country,” she said. 

Panida said she decided to speak up to protect her own name and also the public. 

“I sought an apprenticeship at the Khon Kaen Centre for the Destitute because I have always wanted to become a great social worker,” she said. 

“I hope I will be able to serve society and help millions of destitute people after my graduation. So, I refused to stay silent after detecting such irregularities.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30338579

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-12
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Why not?  Another cover-up. 

Do I detect a wave - well - a ripple of integrity beginning to take hold in the Kingdom?  1st Wichien refuses bribe money & prosecutes an untouchable and now another National heroine.

As you say, a ripple, not quite a wave. I really do hope your use of the word 'integrity" is correct and is hopefully encouraging others to do the same.

Edited by bluesofa
smelling mistake

Odd! As the amount of money is exactly the same to be set aside for the new Pattaya sewerage plant posted today. Coincidence or what? Where, in the Pattaya sewerage fix, I responded in that article that by the time the money filters down past developers and politicians nothing would be left. Here in this article is supporting evidence!

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

There is a special place in hell for people who steal from the poor.

Throw them in jail, and be very sure to tell all the other inmates exactly why they are there...

PS Good on you, young lady! Perhaps there is hope...

yes indeed. perhaps a spontaneous gene mutation causing "integrity"

• Haha 1