If one has 10M baht is it possible to get around 8% with minimal risk.

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Very good points made so far and appreciated.  Last night got me thinking about some comments and suggestions.

I had a couple of comments on new and upcoming companies that had great returns on their first year and banks in Cambodia and trading currencies.

I am a sole believer in only buy into what is established / proven over past history.  Only buy into a stock that has been established for some time and is not debt ladden. 

Real estate is safe as houses as you cannot lose ... or if their is a glut in the housing market your lose is minimal and you can claim depreciation on your tax.

Stocks I would look at would be NOC Northrop Grumman in the US, A long established stock that has a proven history of reasonable returns.  Maybe a titanium producer, titanium has performer well over the past few years. Also,  as mentioned maybe a good mid-long term mutual fund 3-5yr with a return of around 6-8% 

The past is no predictor of the future.  Real estate??????Ask all the people who got burned in the US during the great meltdown.  Want another example?  Ask all the RE investors in Japan who lost alot of money and have been in a recession since 1990!

Edited by norrska
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

Invest in Brazil, not for the faint of heart but a country wealthy in resources. Invested in Itau and Bradesco CDB in Sept2016 when the Xchange rate was 

R$ 4.10 to US$ 1.00. Today's rate R$ 3.29 and the economy on the upswing. Interest, although currently at a paltry 7% has averaged over 12% after tax during that 18 month span. Total liquidity, I can cash out tomorrow having an average 36% return YOY. Trick is gaining Brazilian residency which is not so easy.

no need for residency neither for currency nor shares. the latter are available offshore in ADRs and Reais can be traded by NDFs (non deliverable forwards).

caveat: huge swings USD/BRL!

usdbrl.png

Vietnam gets you 7.6% per annum in Saccom Bank, but is in Vietnam dong  -  can be changed and transfered into Thai Baht if you can prove you brought it into country. that equates to 7 Billion one hundred & fifty dong   x 7.6% in a year risk free.  Just sayin

Edited by TunnelRat69

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Vietnam gets you 7.6% per annum in Saccom Bank, but is in Vietnam dong  -  can be changed and transfered into Thai Baht if you can prove you brought it into country. that equates to 7 Billion one hundred & fifty dong   x 7.6% in a year risk free.  Just sayin

Risk free you say.......so the currency is very stable and its exchange rate against THB and AUD is assured?

And there's a deposit protection scheme in the banks so you'll get your money back if the bank fails, right?

And the democratically elected government is stable and would never sequester funds from foreigners right?

And no taxes are ever likely to be imposed on the repatriation of those funds, right?

And foreign currency controls will never be established, right?

It might just be a good deal, I don't know but it certainly isn't risk free, in fact I'd rate the risk as quite high.

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Risk free you say.......so the currency is very stable and its exchange rate against THB and AUD is assured?

since mid 2015 VND has lost 18% vs. THB, yield result zero. during the same period Dong was stable vs. AUD.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

And there's a deposit protection scheme in the banks so you'll get your money back if the bank fails, right?

And the democratically elected government is stable and would never sequester funds from foreigners right?

And no taxes are ever likely to be imposed on the repatriation of those funds, right?

And foreign currency controls will never be established, right?

It might just be a good deal, I don't know but it certainly isn't risk free, in fact I'd rate the risk as quite high.

8 years now for me, I transferred 2 Million baht back to Thailand from Saigon just 4 months ago, as a bit of a hassle, but it got there....minimal cost .....okay, considering your comments, I don't call some of them risks, they are the cost of doing business, taxes, transfer fees, etc etc, my bank is one of the oldest and insured banks in Vietnam, I am not sweating collapse.  Zero interest on $$ accounts in Vietnam,  by law,  just used as an avenue to bring money into country.  The interest rate is worth it in my opinion, my family of four live on the interest alone with touching the principle, I'd say that is pretty good, beats Thailand by a long shot.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Naam said:

since mid 2015 VND has lost 18% vs. THB, yield result zero. during the same period Dong was stable vs. AUD.

I'm not an economist, I just see my bank statement every month, compared to Thailand, I am making bank..............to each his own.

30 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I'm not an economist...

that goes without saying and neither am i :smile: but the fact remains if the Vietnamese Dong loses 18% in a period of 2½ years versus Thai Baht (minus 7% per annum) then the 7% interest paid for Dong results in a small loss. over a longer period it might turn out profitable but that also involves a certain risk.

38 minutes ago, steven100 said:
41 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

my family of four live on the interest alone with touching the principle, I'd say that is pretty good, beats Thailand by a long shot.

you mean without touching the principle.

what he means is principal but TunnelRat is obviously not aware that the principal lost 18% (compared to Thai Baht) during the period i mentioned.

however, the picture looks different when the comparison is made e.g. VND / USD. in this case principal loss is 4.8% vs. a gain in interest of 17.5% results = +12.7% in favour of Dong.

in both cases any potential miniscule interest for THB or USD is not considered.

On ‎14‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:25 AM, Naam said:

no need for residency neither for currency nor shares. the latter are available offshore in ADRs and Reais can be traded by NDFs (non deliverable forwards).

caveat: huge swings USD/BRL!

usdbrl.png

Residency, a RNC, CPF required to open a bank account. To get exceptional rates of return you must have a currency with wide swings, patients and like I say not be faint of heart. Having made 36% the last 18 months and owing to the fact the Brazilian economy has turned the corner along with corruption on it's heals for the first time ever I am very happy to stay put. I see 4% growth in GNP in 2019 and R$ 2.80 to US$ 1.00. If we see a bump to 3.6-3.7 before the election I may even deposit another hundred grand into the Real. The deal for me is the liquidity and that I can logon and move my funds elsewhere instantly. Brazil is huge and commodity rich, isn't 20 trillion in debt and in fact holds a good portion of that US debt. Personally for me investing in the US Stock Market is like investing with the Kardashians, neither of them have actually produced anywhere close to the value they are demanding. Just a question of which will pop first.

On ‎14‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:41 AM, norrska said:

High risk market with major economic difficulties....residency?????you must be kidding, as it is more dangerous than even Mexico!

Correct, difference being in Brazil there is light at the end of the tunnel which creates opportunities short as well as long. In the US it looks to be darkest before it goes totally black due to trillion dollar deficits, entitlement bubbles about to blow which combined add up to a US$ 60-80 trillion debt crisis. Why is it that 60% of US retirees have less than $25K in savings? Is it because the government has done a wonderful job overseeing the economy?

Ever lived in Brazil? Didn't think so. Like most cases one can find danger if they seek it out. The vast majority of violence in Brazil is the ongoing war between Fed. Police and drug gangs in the favelas. If you are a 15-35 year old black male living in the slums it is not a good life at all. If you are a 55 year old gringo living in a gated community looking out at Atlantic it is like Miami without the crime. A 55 year old farang here in Pattaya drinking a case a beer and a quart of liquor per week, riding around on a scooter just powerful enough to get run over and hanging out a Ruby's on #6 every other evening stands a far greater risk of violence than living a responsible life in Brazil. I know because I have done both, Miami, Costa Rica, Bahia and Thailand. Generally speaking Thailand and Costa Rica are a dead heat for #1 places to wake up dead IMO.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

Correct, difference being in Brazil there is light at the end of the tunnel which creates opportunities short as well as long. In the US it looks to be darkest before it goes totally black due to trillion dollar deficits, entitlement bubbles about to blow which combined add up to a US$ 60-80 trillion debt crisis. Why is it that 60% of US retirees have less than $25K in savings? Is it because the government has done a wonderful job overseeing the economy?

Ever lived in Brazil? Didn't think so. Like most cases one can find danger if they seek it out. The vast majority of violence in Brazil is the ongoing war between Fed. Police and drug gangs in the favelas. If you are a 15-35 year old black male living in the slums it is not a good life at all. If you are a 55 year old gringo living in a gated community looking out at Atlantic it is like Miami without the crime. A 55 year old farang here in Pattaya drinking a case a beer and a quart of liquor per week, riding around on a scooter just powerful enough to get run over and hanging out a Ruby's on #6 every other evening stands a far greater risk of violence than living a responsible life in Brazil. I know because I have done both, Miami, Costa Rica, Bahia and Thailand. Generally speaking Thailand and Costa Rica are a dead heat for #1 places to wake up dead IMO.

The light at the end of the tunnel is a training heading full speed at you.  Brazil was touted as the next great superpower in the 70s and instead is on course to continue to be the world's leading basket case.  The post-Olympic facilities are a disaster and it is dangerous to walk down the street.  All the wealthy retirees from Sao Paulo are locked into their Rio condos by sundown for fear of crime.  Not gonna spend alot of time digging out links, but google, Formula 1 drivers robbed, Ronaldo carjacked, and here is one link for you,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Brazil

According to most sources, Brazil possesses high rates of violent crimes, such as murders and robberies;

While I respect your opinion, think I will go with most sources on this one!

Edited by norrska
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, norrska said:

The light at the end of the tunnel is a training heading full speed at you.  Brazil was touted as the next great superpower in the 70s and instead is on course to continue to be the world's leading basket case.  The post-Olympic facilities are a disaster and it is dangerous to walk down the street.  All the wealthy retirees from Sao Paulo are locked into their Rio condos by sundown for fear of crime.  Not gonna spend alot of time digging out links, but google, Formula 1 drivers robbed, Ronaldo carjacked, and here is one link for you,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Brazil

According to most sources, Brazil possesses high rates of violent crimes, such as murders and robberies;

While I respect your opinion, think I will go with most sources on this one!

Your entire knowledge base is what you read in the media. "All the wealthy retirees from Sao Paulo are locked into their Rio condos by sundown for fear of crime. " Please spare me, where do I start with such a statement? "All" Are these retirees in Sao Paulo or Rio? If everyone based their decisions on what they read in the media Pattaya would be a ghost town. I have lived in Bahia-Brazil for over 10 years, own a beautiful beach front home on the crystal blue Atlantic. There absolutely is violence almost exclusively in the poorest favelas. Bahia has far worse crime stats than either S.P or R.J. and I certainly am not "locked down in fear of crime".

People in my neighborhood walk/jog everywhere. I spend most days on the beach or restaurants in Itapúa. Never in over a decade have I had any issue with crime.

Crime in Brazil has distinct demographics of which I don't fit. I am neither black, poor or a drug user/dealer. Police protection where I reside is infinitely better than Pattaya. I just returned from Carnaval yesterday, my sixth this decade. Five days of street parties and music, over 2 million people, not one murder associated with the event which is typical. The lifestyle I lead in Bahia is far and beyond safer than that of the typical expat in Pattaya. The biggest problem with this blog are the want-to-be authorities on subjects of which they have absolutely ZERO first hand knowledge. If getting drunk and riding around on streets crammed with drunk, uneducated reckless drivers and hanging out at brothels filled with alcoholics and druggies till 2am is your idea of a safe environment then best of luck to you.

dser.jpg

cnnn.png

• Thanks 1

"The deal for me is the liquidity and that I can logon and move my funds elsewhere instantly. Brazil is huge and commodity rich, isn't 20 trillion in debt and in fact holds a good portion of that US debt."

You're contradicting yourself here,  If Brazil does in fact hold a lot of US debt, and the US economy goes south, that debt will be erased from Brazil's assets.  It will be an uncollectable I.O.U.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:51 PM, Peterw42 said:

Have a look at Kiatnakin Bank 7.5%  or MCS steel 9%

I would recommend Stepan, the only legal importer of the coca leaf to the US.

Check SCL share price.

There is also a strong correlation to their share price and cocaine use in the US.

Edited by Bikeman93
addition

• 4 weeks later...