If one has 10M baht is it possible to get around 8% with minimal risk.

20 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I doubt you'll find an investment with that yield and a guaranteed return of the principle. But if you are holding Aus $ you might want to consider an established foreign market with a weak currency, as you'll get more bang for your buck. The UK is an obvious market and major Australian miners are listed in London. UK focused stocks have been weak following the referendum vote. You'd get a reasonable yield and commodities usually hold firm in an inflationary environment, which we might well be going into these next couple of years. If interest rates do start to rise it would be wise to avoid companies with high leverage (debt). So low or no debt, established brands, strong cash flows. A bounce back in the UK GBP would be an added bonus. It also requires a strong stomach as market volatility looks to be the theme for 2018.

What you say makes sense but you might wait a long time for the exchange rate to reverse and make money. 

If the Fed raises rates this yr all the markets around the world will correct. 

Ive sold all my shares for this reason. The U.S share market is insanely overpriced. I dont know about the uk. 

On 12/02/2018 at 9:18 AM, norrska said:

Finding a quality dividend stock over 3-4% is almost impossible.  check out vanguard dividend etf if you dont believe me.

Not true.

Heaps of 'quality dividend stock' paying over 3-4%, especially now the big market sell off yields have risen even more. You really need to get it right before giving incorrect info. Mind you, like most here you are a blow hard who like to post utter drivel.

Edited by SpeakeasyThai

1 hour ago, Naam said:

and also taxed if you are a foreigner. "fully franked" = my butt

Not sure of the point you are making, is the term fully franked incorrect, Australian shares are not fully franked ???

As an Australian tax resident, I get a percentage of my income from fully franked Australian Shares, 30% tax credit. Because I get not much other income in Australia, I get back the 30% tax against the 18k tax free threshold.

Yes, taxable for foreigners dependant on tax treaties and Australian tax status as to wheather you get a tax credit etc..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Not true.

Heaps of 'quality dividend stock' paying over 3-4%, especially now the big market sell off yields have risen even more. You really need to get it right before giving incorrect info. Mind you, like most here you are a blow hard who like to post utter drivel.

yields are 30% and 40% for lt holders.

43 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

What you say makes sense but you might wait a long time for the exchange rate to reverse and make money. 

If the Fed raises rates this yr all the markets around the world will correct. 

Ive sold all my shares for this reason. The U.S share market is insanely overpriced. I dont know about the uk. 

You're comments about the US market are correct, but bear in mind it is less obscene in an era of historically low interest rates. The interest rate is used when calculating the net present vale of future cash flows (the valuation model for share prices). The lower the interest rate the more valuable those future cash flows are, and therefore you get a higher valuation for the stock price. The Fed is scheduled to raise rates three times this year, I don't think that will change. That has been known for a long time. The "shock" last week was that they might have to accelerate those interest rate hikes ... so four times rather than three. The US market has not corrected for a very long time, this might just have been the excuse for that to happen ... a shock exacerbated by people betting on low volatility (low VIX rate) led to big falls. Not a bad move on your part ... just sit back and wait and watch what happens with no pressure.

This looks a bit like 1987. The economy was fairly stable and you had a violent crash, exacerbated by automatic selling. It quickly rebounded. Personally, I think we have a little bit more to go as world growth is picking up and earnings are improving. Albeit more volatile than before. When a recession is more clearly on the horizon we'll see a bear market. It is inevitable, but may not be imminent. Also, some talk of investors changing to value stocks, you'll find some in UK domestic stocks.

The UK, especially domestic stocks, has been hit by a currency fall and growth slow down following the referendum. So GBP is historically cheap, as are domestic stocks, and business confidence is fragile. That may well reverse once the UK-EU negotiations are complete and things become more clear.

My point in my last post is that if you have Aus $, you can buy the UK cheap, with decent dividend yields. As it recovers you get a capital gain and a currency boost. It was just an idea. And requires a strong stomach and a long-term holding. Bear markets tend not last more than a couple of years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexRich said:

You're comments about the US market are correct, but bear in mind it is less obscene in an era of historically low interest rates. The interest rate is used when calculating the net present vale of future cash flows (the valuation model for share prices). The lower the interest rate the more valuable those future cash flows are, and therefore you get a higher valuation for the stock price. The Fed is scheduled to raise rates three times this year, I don't think that will change. That has been known for a long time. The "shock" last week was that they might have to accelerate those interest rate hikes ... so four times rather than three. The US market has not corrected for a very long time, this might just have been the excuse for that to happen ... a shock exacerbated by people betting on low volatility (low VIX rate) led to big falls. Not a bad move on your part ... just sit back and wait and watch what happens with no pressure.

This looks a bit like 1987. The economy was fairly stable and you had a violent crash, exacerbated by automatic selling. It quickly rebounded. Personally, I think we have a little bit more to go as world growth is picking up and earnings are improving. Albeit more volatile than before. When a recession is more clearly on the horizon we'll see a bear market. It is inevitable, but may not be imminent. Also, some talk of investors changing to value stocks, you'll find some in UK domestic stocks.

The UK, especially domestic stocks, has been hit by a currency fall and growth slow down following the referendum. So GBP is historically cheap, as are domestic stocks, and business confidence is fragile. That may well reverse once the UK-EU negotiations are complete and things become more clear.

My point in my last post is that if you have Aus $, you can buy the UK cheap, with decent dividend yields. As it recovers you get a capital gain and a currency boost. It was just an idea. And requires a strong stomach and a long-term holding. Bear markets tend not last more than a couple of years.

The flaw being that some 60% of FTSE stocks have overseas earnings, mostly denominated in USD, the Pound fell after the referendum but the FTSE increased in value by a corresponding amount as a result. If the Pound does recover and that's a big if in the short/medium term, expect the value of the FTSE to get badly hurt as a result.

22 hours ago, Ricardo said:

I've seen adverts on the www which suggest, that a risk-free guaranteed 10%-14% return can be achieved by investing in Pattaya-condos, however I remain slightly sceptical. :wink:

I asked who the guarantor would be, the developers' sales man said "we of course". 
Am not considering this golden opportunity.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

If one ie you has 10 million send it to me and I can do 8.5% or even 9% totally risk free but hurry terms and commissions apply.

We apply proprietary unique A.I. algorithms in our research to achieve best-in-class performance but, nevertheless our success fee is set at just 2 percent per annum.
Our guarantee is that, in the extremely unlikely case of not meeting the Benchmark, we will not charge the success fee payable for every percent, or part of a percent, that our investment product outperforms the average as offered by the local banks.

It's all risk/reward, but some of the Thai property funds pay around 6-7% dividend, which is taxed at 10% unless the company is BoI promoted, so you end up with around 6% nett. The capital cost may vary 10-15% in a year so it's important to time entering the stock well; look at the historic charts.

No it is not possible to get a risk free investment that pays 8%. Either back home or here in Thailand. 

Risk and Reward go hand-in-hand. A 8% Return on your Investment is a very good return by most peoples standards. As somebody already pointed out here some of the safest investments are Saving Accounts or Government Bonds. But the Return on these Investments is barely enough to keep up to Inflation, and if it even does.

This doesn't mean you have to invest in some Penny Stock drilling for Gold in China someplace to get a decent return on your investment. Many Stocks pay regular Dividends which almost always outdo Savings Accounts and Government Bonds. Major Banks and Utility Companies are famous for that.

Of course the more stable this stock is, the less it pays on Dividends, because there is less risk on them defaulting on there Dividend Payment to the Stock Holders. So Major Banks, Utility Companies, Satellite and TV Cable Service Providers,  and the Food Service Industry like Boston Pizza, Pizza Hut, KFC, McDonalds, all mostly pay Dividends as well. Presently I earn about 6.5% Dividend in the Food Service Industry from a long running stable stock. 

Stay away from Speculation Stocks and things like Bitcoins. Especially if you don't understand how they work Probably better off in the long run to go to Los Vegas and role the dice then invest in these type of investments with little knowledge about them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

The flaw being that some 60% of FTSE stocks have overseas earnings, mostly denominated in USD, the Pound fell after the referendum but the FTSE increased in value by a corresponding amount as a result. If the Pound does recover and that's a big if in the short/medium term, expect the value of the FTSE to get badly hurt as a result.

Agree. But note that I only referred to UK domestic stocks, the one's that have had the biggest beat-down since the referendum. The FTSE 100 contains the big multi-nationals, and it did well after GBP plunged. The domestic stocks do not generate a great deal of business overseas and so the currency fall increased the cost of their inputs, damaging their valuations. I wasn't referring to Glaxo, Astra-Zeneca, Shell, BP, etc ... more FTSE 250 domestic stocks. They benefit from a stronger GBP and the greater clarity when the EU-UK negotiations end. 

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Not sure of the point you are making, is the term fully franked incorrect, Australian shares are not fully franked ???

in my case being a foreigner who keeps all his holdings in a corporate trust my comment ''fully franked my butt'' is justified and applicable because the trust is registered in an offshore tax haven without any double tax agreement and therefore neither a refund nor a tax credit is possible even though the trust's beneficiaries are natural persons (my wife and myself).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AlexRich said:

If you had to suggest 3 top dividend stocks in the Uk what would they be in your opinion?

Heres a copy and paste by 13D research:

Will there be a failed rally in the S&P 500 or will we see modest new highs before the decline resumes in earnest? Many comparisons to 1987 have been floated in recent days—with good reason. Recall that the die was cast after the Plaza Accord in 1985, when the G4 agreed to a big dollar devaluation because the enormous rally in the greenback under Reagan and Volcker was harming U.S. export-competitiveness.  In 1987, the U.S. dollar was falling rapidly, accompanied by soaring bond yields—while the stock market was hitting new highs. If there ever was a signal to be cautious, that was it.  

One important unanswered question is how will bonds respond if U.S. stocks continue to decline at this rate? Will Trump tweet angry messages to the Fed? What impact will this have on the perception of the Fed’s independence? And how will that impact the U.S. dollar? Is it possible that this time, after rallying briefly, bond prices will fall, accompanied by a falling dollar? And, what if this turns into a self-fulfilling downward spiral?

Four things caused the recent decline in U.S. equities—and they aren’t going away anytime soon. First, inflation is finally coming and will likely overshoot. Second, bond yields are responding by breaking out to the upside. Third, the U.S. budget deficit—due to the tax-cuts and end of spending restraint—could easily exceed $1.2 trillion next fiscal year, with trillion dollar deficits as far as the eye can see.  Fourth, when the Fed began tightening its monetary policy a few years ago, it had little impact on U.S. asset prices because of the inflow of liquidity from Japan and Europe that was triggered by the extraordinary level of quantitative easing going on in those countries. Now, the Fed is scheduled to increase the runoff this year from its portfolio from $20 billion a month to $50 billion a month—at the same time that the ECB and the BOJ will begin withdrawing their monetary stimulus. 

The wildcard in the market outlook is the algorithmic trading and all the new financial products initiated since 2008 in the U.S.—reminiscent of the program trading so widely blamed for triggering the October 1987 market debacle. A 1987 type event is therefore entirely possible. 

The following observation by Vitaliy Katsenelson, in a recent Marketwatch.com opinion article, underscores the risks we see: “The consequences of well-meaning (but not all-knowing) economists setting the cost of money are widespread, from the inflation in asset prices to encouraging companies to spend on projects they shouldn’t. But we really don’t know the second-, third-, and fourth derivatives of the consequences that command-control interest rates will bring. We know that most likely every market participant was forced to take on more risk in recent years, but we don’t know how much more because we don’t know the price of money.” 

The sharp reversal in U.S. stocks is unprecedented. We quote from a Bloomberg article entitled, “This Is the Worst Momentum Swing for U.S. Stocks in History”: “The S&P 500 Index’s 14-day relative strength index—a technical gauge of the magnitude and speed of price movements—has swung 57 points lower over the past two weeks. ‘The journey from ecstasy to agony is entirely unprecedented, in the United States at least,’ writes Bloomberg macro strategist Cameron Crise, who earlier noted this inauspicious achievement. ‘That’s the largest momentum swing in history—and it’s not particularly close.’”

U.S. Treasury 30-year bond yields have risen sharply and are now testing the 2015 downtrend line. Intermediate-term momentum is rising sharply. Will investors buy UST bonds to hedge against a falling U.S. stock market? Or, will investors sell bonds to hedge against sharply rising inflation?

Has the long-term cycle in the global reflationary forces reached a critical point? Trump’s election in late 2016 triggered the “Trump reflation trade”, the first important sign in the financial media of a shift in investor psychology from deflation to reflation.

Market evidence suggests a much more powerful and sustained shift in investor psychology toward inflation could be near. The breakdown in U.S. Treasury bonds, the confirmed bear market in the U.S. dollar index (DXY) and the contagion of reflation market breakouts suggest that the reflationary forces are now far more widespread and global in nature.

As we have noted previously, some of the most valuable clues regarding market trends occur during periods of intense market volatility. While it is too early for conclusions, price-action since the January 26th top in the S&P 500 suggests that the global reflation trends and capital dispersion into the longest-depressed markets could accelerate further. We also learned this week that there is the risk of indiscriminate selling due to the machines and market calls.

I really think we are going to see huge corrections this yr. Stocks are extremely overvalued in the U.S.   If a crash happens Im buying back in for sure when tech stocks are on sale. Cant wait. Cash is in the bank ready and waiting

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Naam said:

in my case being a foreigner who keeps all his holdings in a corporate trust my comment ''fully franked my butt'' is justified and applicable because the trust is registered in an offshore tax haven without any double tax agreement and therefore neither a refund nor a tax credit is possible even though the trust's beneficiaries are natural persons (my wife and myself).

does any one else use this "fully franked" concept other than Australia.....very weird and provincial!

13 minutes ago, norrska said:

does any one else use this "fully franked" concept other than Australia.....very weird and provincial!

I have never really understood the American system were the company pays tax on the dividend then the person pays tax on the rest of the dividend, double taxation. To me its like paying wages out of after tax profit then have the wage earner pay tax again.

In Australia its taxed once at 30% by the company and thats it. (you make up the difference if your personal rate is higher than the 30%) . 

It explains why Americans find it hard to believe a 6-8% dividend yield, as that would be 3-4%.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I have never really understood the American system were the company pays tax on the dividend then the person pays tax on the rest of the dividend, double taxation. To me its like paying wages out of after tax profit then have the wage earner pay tax again.

not only in America mate! all over Europe and in many other countries too. :ermm:

Invest in Brazil, not for the faint of heart but a country wealthy in resources. Invested in Itau and Bradesco CDB in Sept2016 when the Xchange rate was 

R$ 4.10 to US$ 1.00. Today's rate R$ 3.29 and the economy on the upswing. Interest, although currently at a paltry 7% has averaged over 12% after tax during that 18 month span. Total liquidity, I can cash out tomorrow having an average 36% return YOY. Trick is gaining Brazilian residency which is not so easy.

5 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Invest in Brazil, not for the faint of heart but a country wealthy in resources. Invested in Itau and Bradesco CDB in Sept2016 when the Xchange rate was 

R$ 4.10 to US$ 1.00. Today's rate R$ 3.29 and the economy on the upswing. Interest, although currently at a paltry 7% has averaged over 12% after tax during that 18 month span. Total liquidity, I can cash out tomorrow having an average 36% return YOY. Trick is gaining Brazilian residency which is not so easy.

The basic investing rule that Buffet has used for 50 years is only invest in something you understand and can value. If you don't understand or can't accurately value something you are throwing darts.

If the pie shop down the road makes great apple pies you wouldn't fly to Brazil to find a better one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Justfine said:

The basic investing rule that Buffet has used for 50 years is only invest in something you understand and can value. If you don't understand or can't accurately value something you are throwing darts.

If the pie shop down the road makes great apple pies you wouldn't fly to Brazil to find a better one.

Tell me exactly where that pie shop is that affords a 36% return on what amounts to CD that can be converted the next day? I have been successfully investing in overseas RE and currencies for over 25 years. Retired at 45. You are correct, Buffet is one of a few good dart throwers, the rest of you are clueless.

Very good points made so far and appreciated.  Last night got me thinking about some comments and suggestions.

I had a couple of comments on new and upcoming companies that had great returns on their first year and banks in Cambodia and trading currencies.

I am a sole believer in only buy into what is established / proven over past history.  Only buy into a stock that has been established for some time and is not debt ladden. 

Real estate is safe as houses as you cannot lose ... or if their is a glut in the housing market your lose is minimal and you can claim depreciation on your tax.

Stocks I would look at would be NOC Northrop Grumman in the US, A long established stock that has a proven history of reasonable returns.  Maybe a titanium producer, titanium has performer well over the past few years. Also,  as mentioned maybe a good mid-long term mutual fund 3-5yr with a return of around 6-8% 

15 minutes ago, Justfine said:

What's great today can easily fall out of favour tomorrow, great businesses fail for a raft of reasons. That's why if you must invest in apple pies, it's only sensible to invest in that great apple pie shop down the road, and the one in Brazil and half a dozen others in different countries also.

The smart money, however, would not invest in apple pies directly, instead, it would invest in a fund that is led by an experienced fund manager with a proven track record, somebody who understands all aspects of apple pie supply and demand and someone who also understands markets.

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

Very good points made so far and appreciated.  Last night got me thinking about some comments and suggestions.

I had a couple of comments on new and upcoming companies that had great returns on their first year and banks in Cambodia and trading currencies.

I am a sole believer in only buy into what is established / proven over past history.  Only buy into a stock that has been established for some time and is not debt ladden. 

Real estate is safe as houses as you cannot lose ... or if their is a glut in the housing market your lose is minimal and you can claim depreciation on your tax.

Stocks I would look at would be NOC Northrop Grumman in the US, A long established stock that has a proven history of reasonable returns.  Maybe a titanium producer, titanium has performer well over the past few years. Also,  as mentioned maybe a good mid-long term mutual fund 3-5yr with a return of around 6-8% 

Why try and become a stock picker at your age, if that was your natural vocation you would have become a broker or similar, you didn't!

For what it costs to buy shares in a single company you can buy shares in a fund, led by an experienced professional, a fund that owns shares in forty+ companies and one that can trade those shares in real time, as the current situation warrants - for example, the cost to buy Lindsell Train Global Equities fund is 0.65% of your investment per year, for that price you get a fully managed global equities fund that returns in excess of 15% per year and you get to sleep at night.

• Like 2

Steven, perhaps explore the following links:

http://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/ - this is perhaps the premier stock market fund information site, most stocks and funds reference their research.

https://www.trustnet.com/fund/price-performance/o/ia-unit-trusts?tab=fundOverview - same kind of thing, similar information, different style and tools.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/guidance.asp - this is a useful series of tutorials and reference material that will help you understand terminology and "how to".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

High risk market with major economic difficulties....residency?????you must be kidding, as it is more dangerous than even Mexico!