Russian women reveal details behind illegal Phuket coral possession charges

webfact

Russian women reveal details behind illegal Phuket coral possession charges

The Phuket News

1518411169_1-org.jpg

One of the women charged, Liliya Karmanova (top, right) told the press in her hometown in Russia that she and her friend were released on B150,000 bail, not B40,000 as reported by the DMCR. Photos: DMCR / file

PHUKET: Two Russian women unable to leave Thailand while waiting to face harges of illegal possession of corals in court have spoken out about how they came to be in possession of the corals that has left them stranded in Phuket on B40,000 bail.

The women – Russian university student on holiday Liliya Karmanova, 20, and her friend Polina Likman, 21 – were arrested by the Karon Police and then taken to be detained at the holding cells at Phuket Provincial Court on Feb 1 following a complaint filed by the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) Phuket office.

The complaint was filed after a tip-off – from a person who the DMCR and the Karon Police at the time identified as a “neighbour” who saw Ms Karmanova pouring toilet bleach onto the corals at their rented bungalow in Karon.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/russian-women-reveal-details-behind-illegal-phuket-coral-possession-charges-65935.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-02-12

1 hour ago, daoyai said:

This story sickens me.  I have marine bio. background,  I have to question the competency of the DMCR in pursuing this case.  The objects were obviously collected as dead beach litter. If that is not allowed it is the DMCR responsibility to inform the public of this.  

"The objects were obviously collected as dead beach litter. "

No, they obviously were not, read the story. It would have been illegal for them to import this into Russia anyway.

On top of that the corals were smelly, indicating they were really fresh.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"The objects were obviously collected as dead beach litter. "

No, they obviously were not, read the story. It would have been illegal for them to import this into Russia anyway.

On top of that the corals were smelly, indicating they were really fresh.

How can you believe what you have red?

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

I have seen shells and coral openly on sale in Phuket so tend to believe the Russian girls. It does seem odd though that the landlady called the police , there is something we are not being told.

would not surprise me if the russians were set up for revenue purposes

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

One of the women charged, Liliya Karmanova (top, right) told the press in her hometown in Russia that she and her friend were released on B150,000 bail, not B40,000 as reported by the DMCR.

For what amount was the receipt?

• Like 2

...more abuse of hapless foreigners....

...the bail discrepancy should be looked into...but ...???

...and the fact that they did nothing wrong or illegal is the clincher....

...the flip-side...why foreigners are such easy targets...not everyone that goes on holiday can afford to put their lives on hold for 2 months ....and pay all those extra expenses...in hopes of getting justice when they are victims of a crime

...the irony here is that these two women are victims of a crime....a miscarriage of justice....and are being held against their will...

The owner of Nan Inn is an interesting character. She's studied law so knows what she's doing! I'd guess the Russian ladies did something to anger her, like ignoring her warning not to make her rooms smelly, and that prompted her to take the action she did. I don't believe that she would be doing this for any personal gain. I don't know the lady personally but know of her.

Whatever happened to the tourist courts that were supposed to be set up to deal with minor cases like this? Waiting 48 days, when we know the judge will impose not much more than a small fine, a slap on the wrist and a deportation order, is absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Borzandy said:

How can you believe what you have red?

The Russians say they bought the corals from a vendor for 100 baht.

But their landlord from the Nan Inn Karon beach didn't want them in her hotel since they were smelly, that's why the Russians tried to clean them with bleach...The landlady also didn't like that so she called the police who arrested them...the landlady admitted that she had been too harsh to her paying guests.

Now they can't go to university for a long time untill the court sets them free or puts them in jail.

What a story.....Thailand only krab.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GTgrizzly said:

your doing well kopitiam only a few hundred posts and your in charge of the forum already

Ha,ha,ha....  no I don't mean to moderate the forum.  I was annoyed by the racist remarks.  My apologies if I stepped on some toes.

The Russians say they bought the corals from a vendor for 100 baht.

But their landlord from the Nan Inn Karon beach didn't want them in her hotel since they were smelly, that's why the Russians tried to clean them with bleach...The landlady also didn't like that so she called the police who arrested them...the landlady admitted that she had been too harsh to her paying guests.

Now they can't go to university for a long time untill the court sets them free or puts them in jail.

What a story.....Thailand only krab.
Good reason to warn others not to stay there.
Will she call the cops if someone was to bring home a lady?
Owner should be giving guests privacy.
The publicity will hurt her and I'm glad. Nobody wants to stay where the landlord is spying.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 1