Major drinking water manufacturers agree to use less plastic

webfact

3 hours ago, mjnaus said:

So how about bringing your own shopping bag and telling the store clerk to leave the plastic bag? Been doing it for years; it's not rocket science...

but it needs thinking .... 

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Wasn't this exact same subject in the news over six months ago?

Why does it seem to be re-hashed again?

you are right, a top man made the suggestion or gave the instruction, I do not remember exactly.
However, since the people thinking of the double security feature that prevents traders selling refilled bottles objected, it took a few months.
So, in future again make sure the bottle you buy on the street has a new cap that has not been opened yet.

• Thanks 1

D-Day to phase out use of plastic cap seals on April 1 

By Thai PBS

capseal.jpg

Thailand will begin to stop using plastic cap seals in water bottles beginning April 1 in its effort to decrease plastic waste and save marine lives.

The movement to phase out the use of plastic cap seals was agreed on Tuesday (Feb 13) when state and private organisations signed a memorandum of understanding to stop using the small plastic seals.

They were the Pollution Control Department (PCD), the Office of the Consumers Protection Commission,  the Thai Beverage Industry Association, the Plastics Institute of Thailand, and five major manufacturers of bottled water.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/d-day-phase-use-plastic-cap-seals-april-1/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-02-14

9 minutes ago, inactiveposter said:

Thailand being the land of innovation, here’s an idea for some sharp entrepreneur. Sell water in its powdered form in a recyclable paper bag. Then when you get home you just add...

Someone already thought of that, it is called Iodine followed by ascorbic acid to neutralise the taste, or Chlorine, followed by bad taste, and voila, after an hour you have disinfected water from your pond to store in a plastic container in your plastic refrigerator.

From the original article:
""
He said bottled water is the product that the Ministry of Public Health has set quality standard for manufactueres to produce and cleanliness of the water must be ensured.

With such requirement of the ministry, plastic cap seal is therefore unnecessary, he said.

Under the agreement signed, they will begin phasing out plastic cap seals on April 1 and they expected to reduce more than 50% of plastic cap seal waste.
""
So, let's recap that:
1) there are regulations in place, then we decided to add a seal, but since there are regulations the seal is not necessary. That sounds logical to me.
2) after the phase out of the plastic security flimmamigee, the problem will not be solved !
That sounds as logical as the implementation date.

Nice one, they got me for a few weeks !

Now they need to work on the bottlers of soft drinks who are only filling their drink bottles 2/3s full which is a complete waste of plastic.  Just make smaller bottles.  I simply boycott the companies doing that. 

If they start charging a few baht for plastic bags people would soon learn to bring their own bags. Many countries do this.

As for 1.5 liter water bottles. We fill them from the 5 gallon bottle we get every week. When bottles we fill get a bit old we just buy another six pack to fill. The old ones get recycled. 

1 minute ago, connda said:

Now they need to work on the bottlers of soft drinks who are only filling their drink bottles 2/3s full which is a complete waste of plastic.  Just make smaller bottles.  I simply boycott the companies doing that. 

Are there companies doing that?

We buy the cheapest packs of bottled water sold at our local shop, the price is 20 Baht for six 800ml bottles.

I'm slightly frustrated as when I manage to tear off the very hard to remove seal, as soon as I open the bottle, it's full to the brim and inevitably some overflows onto the kitchen worktop.

These are moulded from a single piece of plastic, you need to tear off the plastic seal that covers the entire circumference of the bottle top.

• Thanks 1

Using science to check what might seem obvious because sometimes it isn't. Buying 6l bottled water uses 18% less plastic than buying 4 x 1.5l bottles and because i did not apply for  a grant to do this i didn't need to use the words climate change or other <deleted>

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

as soon as I open the bottle, it's full to the brim and inevitably some overflows onto the kitchen worktop.

I never spill water from a bottle, even the condom thin ones.  There are some life skills that others can't seem to manage?:tongue:

i actually think getting rid of those cap seals is a very good idea as most likely to end up with the general rubbish and not get recycled. What they need to do and I find it seriously difficult to understand why they haven't already is get onto the retailers especially seven. make sure their staff do not hand out straws and plastic spoons or cutlery unless some one specifically asked for it. best approach for the bags is simple. charge for them every where. people go shopping with empty back packs in HK, everyone is just used to it. when i go back to the UK i always forget the bag thing and end up getting charged for one. everyone else either has bags for life or old plastic bags in their pockets. really easy to implement that. most thais won't want to be paying 5 baht every time they need a plastic bag that's for sure. so all these measures, are a good start and i personally think they are getting there, be it slowly

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Pretty lame and confusing post there buddy.  First off have you even considered learning how to say " no bag"  Mai aou thung  khrap. or " one bag only" in Thai? Takes about 5 minutes of practice even for a dinosaur.   You could even just simply say "mai pen rai khrap" the second they touch a bag or straw or spoon and they will put it down 99% of the time.  The part about the bag proving you pay is quite funny. There is a thing called a receipt ( which could be considered wasteful but is always available to prove you paid) also in MY world of 7/11's the cashiers are next to the exit doors but in yours they sound like they are in the back of the store lol. Do you really think some cashier is going to accuse some falang that they did not pay for something right after you paid? 

The OP seems to have spent some time analyzing, in detail, the amount of plastic used in his purchases. I don’t think refusing the plastic is a question of language, proof of purchase for r whatever    To me it boils down to taking responsibility for your life vs being a victim.  Perhaps a bit strong but that’s how to see it

3 hours ago, KKr said:

plastic security flimmamigee,

"flimmamigee"    You really  piqued my curiosity there with that jaunty Irish non-word. 

I believe you may have been looking for thingamabob or his half sister thingamajig or even uncle  whatchamacallit.:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"flimmamigee"    You really  piqued my curiosity there with that jaunty Irish non-word. 

I believe you may have been looking for thingamabob or his half sister thingamajig or even uncle  whatchamacallit.:thumbsup:

obviously it is a flimsy thingamigee :laugh:

but your words are actually in the dictionary, :shock1:
never thought I would have a good thingamabob 
tonight :wink:

Edited by KKr

12 hours ago, mjnaus said:

Sounds like a rather lame excuse to simply not bother. It'll take you literally 10 minutes to learn how to say this in Thai. As I have been shopping like this, with my own bag, for close to 14 years and have NEVER had any issues with it. How about showing the receipt when they think you stole your groceries?

I leave  the receipt on  the counter now because I don't want to get fined for throwing it away outside the door now that many 7/11's no longer have a bin outside them

15 hours ago, Thian said:

When i  buy 2 banana's in 711 each one is packed in a plastic bag and together they are in a big plastic bag.

When i buy some yoghurt the 4 plastic cups are sealed in plastic (with free plastic spoons packed in plastic) and they all go in a plastic bag.

When i buy a plastic bottle of milk i get 2 plastic bags to carry it home.

Thailand  is addicted to plastic.

You are addicted to accepting plastic bags.  You don't have to accept the bags that the items are put in, you could reduce the amount used by opening your mouth at the till.

Would you like the spoons that are going into your mouth to be unwrapped and dirty?

Stop taking so many bags from 7-11!

14 hours ago, Thian said:

They don't speak english and the plastic bag shows that you paid for you goods....without the bag it looks like you stole it.

If all customers refused the bag it's very hard for the staff to determine who has paid and who didn't. It can be pretty busy in the 711 with people walking in/out....

So what are you complaining about then?

The staff understand "no, thank you" and even a European hand gesture when they are about to bag your things.  Or you could say "no thanks" in Thai, surely?

Knowing who's paid is easy for them, (a) they have eyes and (b) they give receipts, paper receipts, not plastic.

Edited by Just Weird

13 hours ago, Thian said:

Get of your high horse cowboy.

I've tried the mai au tung krab several times, have to say it 5 times before they understand it.

And since there are several criminal farang in thailand i don't even want to look like them in the farest distance. If all people use a plastic bag than so will i.

I go to 711 on the motobike for things like milk/yoghurt/bananas/cigarettes and i can easy transport them in topcase but without a plastic bag i look suspicious to the Benz-drivers who parked next to me.

They already think i'm crazy to not go to 711 by car like they all do.

And at home i dress simple clothes, also when i go to 711 so yes i might look like a criminal farang in the eyes of the thai living around me. That's why i take the plastic bags, it just shows that i paid for my goods and am not a criminal farang.

Now i could bring my backpack (have loads of them) to 711 but farang with backpacks are drugdealers in some area's of BKK and since nobody carries a backpack (except students) i would look stupid again.

The receipt is the first thing i  dump in the bin when i walk out of the 711, don't want to bring that home where it will drop on the floor so i have to pick it up.

Biggest load of nonsense I've heard for a long time.

• Thanks 1