Missing Briton found camping out on a remote island off Chumphon

snoop1130

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

It is nice to know that people still care about others.

I am lucky as I have a wife and son who care plus friends and neighbours who keep an eye out for me.

" Take your time for your friends before time's taking them away from you.'

• Like 2

10 hours ago, coulson said:

Koh chorakhe perhaps.

Not a great spot to search for islands, birds nest and islanders etc...

exactly my thought, Chumphon coastline must be one of the most boring places on Earth, why would you go Island hopping there?

• Like 1

As the age of Mr Smith seems of most concern here it maybe worth noting that the citizens of the worlds richest and most powerful country have elected a man who will be the same age when he finishes his term... or maybe they never looked at his CV as it was irrelevant to the job anyway????

Good on ya Mike.There have been many times I have thought of doing something like that.I think I would tell my friends where I am going though.I am 8yrs older than him but still get that urge to just get on the old bike and disappear for a few days.It is probably something to do with just being in Thailand.I would never think of doing such a thing back in New Zealand. Maybe it's the occasional frustration of not being able to do things here that are so easy "back home",or just the restrictions that we Farang find annoying and these things can just crop up in our daily routine and leave us so exasperated.I love it here and am happy with a house,a good wife,and a couple of motorbikes and a tuktuk.I feel that there is nothing else I either want or need,but the restrictions that I mentioned will always be there,and they do spoil it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dddave said:

I'm also 74 and have to admire Mr. Smith's adventurous spirit.

One of the challenges of this age is maintaining independence while at the same time, recognizing the reality of one's own increased vulnerability.

I live alone by choice.  I am fortunate to have a number of friends who somehow find an excuse to get in touch with me pretty much on a daily basis, whether by text, call or meeting up somewhere.  We don't really acknowledge that they are checking up on me but we know, that's what it is.  I am appreciative of their concern and friendship and I try to reciprocate by always letting them know my plans, not disappearing on them without any notice.

This really doesn't stop me from doing whatever it is I want to do, whether it is spontaneously jumping a bus to Pattaya or wherever or shacking up for a night or two with an entertaining companion.

Yes, it is a bit of an infringement on my autonomous self-sufficiency but growing old and remaining active has it's cost like anything else.   If the day ever comes that I find my self lying on my floor, unable to get up or in some other precarious situation wherein I can not help myself, I will be most grateful when my wonderful friends come knocking.  

I hope Mr. Smith appreciates his friend's actions and doesn't take the view that he was "meddling" in his affairs.  

I also hope Mr. Smith inform some one of his movements so that he will not waste other peoples valuable time & resources in vain in the future.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

i live in paknam, chumphon. the main fishing port down here. i'm the only farang around here and everyone has been coming up to me and asking if i knew about it. their response has not been that he is wasting time. they just say. 'very strong' and 'good' with a thumbs up so maybe give the guy a break as the locals are cool with it. beats spending your retirement sat in front of the tv mate

Mr Watcharin, who is the chief of maritime rescue unit, then organized a team of divers and volunteers to get on board of a speed boat to make a search in the sea off Pathiu district.

Cool... but the FACT remains that valuable time AND resources (public) were wasted.