Windows Updates

totonjoy

I run Win 10 on an Asus s550 laptop, which is now about 3 years old, but which is still running very well. My machine has updated via Windows Updates since new and with no problems whatsoever......until recently. The security update KB4074588 released in early January installs, but at the last second gets rejected and is then unwound to its previous state. I waited for this month's patch Tuesday, expecting a fix, but there isn't one. A neighbour bought a brand new Asus laptop 2 months ago and his machine will not accept the same update either. However, updates issued since KB4074588 have installed successfully on my machine.

Does anyone here have a similar problem and is there a solution? I understand some machines do not have this problem, but many do across various brands.

Edited by totonjoy
Grammar

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I don't have AVG and my registry contains the key referred to in the AVG thread.

I am worried about this, as the missing update kicks off security patches for Meltdown and Spectre. Without the update I have no protection whatsoever. :sad:

What version of Win 10 are you on?     That is 1709, 1703, etc.   I expect 1709 because I think KB4074588 only applies to 1709

However, where you talk release of KB4074588 in early Jan, when I look on the MS update website KB4074588 is listed for version 1709 and was not released until 13 Feb 18...Tuesday of this week...just the other day...which is when I rec'd the update for both my Lenovo laptops...and it installed OK on both.

Sorry and of course, you are right. I am on version 1709 build 16299.64. The January release is the one which would not install and has been sitting on my machine, telling me so for a month, in a continuous loop. When the latest release arrived, my machine installed it, leaving the January release in the "available updates"list.

Now, the latest release is on the installed list, but appearing in the "available updates" list too. My build number remains the same.

I have noticed many people complaining they can't fully install KB4074588. It is all very confusing. Apologies for getting it wrong.

As Neowin reports, a cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1709, known as the Fall Creators Update, with the label KB4073290 brings the build number up to 16299.194. It can be manually downloaded.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4073290

2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016 (1709) for x64-based Systems (KB4073290) Windows Server 2016 Updates 1/17/2018 n/a 602.9 MB  
  2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4073290)

Please find your particular KB 4074588 update here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4074588

You only need to type winver in search and hit enter to see your current version. 

Edited by jenny2017

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4074588/windows-10-update-kb4074588

Windows Update History reports that KB4054517 failed to install because of error 0x80070643.

Even though the update was successfully installed, Windows Update incorrectly reports that the update failed to install. Select Check for Updates to confirm that there are no additional updates available.

You can also type About your PC in the search box on the taskbar to confirm that your device is using the expected OS build.

Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

On 19.2.2018 at 7:35 AM, bendejo said:

You can also type About your PC in the search box on the taskbar to confirm that your device is using the expected OS build.

Or "winver".

After the latest update orgy it looks like this for me:

winver.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Haha 1

Hi all

After a great deal of time and effort, I finally found a solution to my problem. All is now in order following the application of an in-place upgrade of Windows using an iso file downloaded from M$. Here's a link to the tutorial I used: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Unfortunately, I still do not know what was causing my update problem. Possibly a fault on my machine, or something new in the iso file. Anyway, I am now fixed and my machine is running smoothly and fully up to date!