Wine - Somethings changing and it's starting pretty soon

ukrules

I was told today that 4L boxes of Mar-Y-Sol and probably other brands of 'wine' in larger boxes will no longer be availble any more once current stocks have ran out.

The source of this is someone who buys a lot of beer, wine and spirits directly from the large Thai distributors, he's a retailer. He can't get any right now. There was some mention of it only being available in smaller 2 Liter sized boxes at the same price. Presumably this is the same price per Liter but only smaller boxes being available but who knows.

So I went to Villa and the wine / liquor store at Gourmet Market today as I was out shopping anyway and neither of them had any Mar-Y-Sol left, they had some other brands which I've never seen before and both places seemed to indicate that I should buy it while they still have stock because they have it on order but they do expect to run out long before new stocks arrive.

The store in Gourmet Market told me that they're making a new box and it could be April before they get any more but they were not sure.

Something has changed regarding the supply of the cheap house wines, I'm just not sure what it is.

Is there some new legislation which limits the size of the carton, perhaps something linked to the duty payable on any new stocks ?

Whatever has happened appears to have already disrupted the supply chain. I guess someone here will know exactly what's going on or we will just have to wait and see how it turns out and from what I'm hearing this situation might not be resolved any time soon.

I always looked for Chateau d'Cardboard.

The 4 L boxes were always too big anyway so only having 2 L boxes is fine with me.  Unfortunately I suspect the cost for a 2L box will be the same as for the older 4 L boxes.

Edited by HarrySeaman
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, AlGoRhythm said:

Believe the OP is on to something.  Been watching Villa's prices for cheaper wines, including those in  boxes, and have seen significant increases for the same product twice in the past 2-3 weeks.

Somethings definitely coming, I suspect stocks of cheap 'house wine' in bars and restaurants will run out in the next week or two across the country.

I've been told that there will be no 'Mar-Y-Sol' available until April. If this applies to the other brands as well (and I see no reason why it wouldn't) then this is a major cock up by the industry and or government regulators.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

Hello Guys. I am new to the forum. In fact this is my first posting. I love reading all of your cutting-edge comments and have scuppered away from writing until todays entry. Please be gentle with me!! Below is a message which I recently wrote to an international wine merchant. if anyone is interested in reading the reply, ask me very nicely!!

Hello
Just paid almost $30 (ca. 1000 BHT!!) for a bottle of your wine in Hatyai, Thailand. Absolutely scandalous. I will not be exploring your wine selection ever again.
Regards

• Like 2

Hi

In fact I was not buying anymore the Mar e sol I found down on quality for a few months but Finca Malpica.. also from Mercosur Origin..

This week it was out of stock in Foodland Makro and Big C

The place where it was in Makro is now filled with 4 to 5 liters same type of containers coming from South Africa and Australia (which I never saw before)

Might be they changed the importing rules avoiding Mercosur and going for other partners they already import a lot from ??

Have a nice day

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nanglong218 said:

Is it me?  Perhaps it is, but is Thailand withdrawing inside itself?  It has no indigenous wine industry and seems threatened by foreign influences.  Vis the immigration  hoops we must climb through, financial requirements etc.

Perhaps wine restrictions are another brick in the wall.  Four days in Siem Reap was an eyeopener.

What's more,the stuff served up here at everyman's prices wouldn't qualify as vin de table in a French truckstop, of which I have much experience.

My visa is up in July.  Cambodia looks nice.

Indeed.

Last week I was paying $7 for a pleasant bottle of ‘proper’ wine, and $13  for a liter of Tanqerray.

13 hours ago, yopf said:

Hello Guys. I am new to the forum. In fact this is my first posting. I love reading all of your cutting-edge comments and have scuppered away from writing until todays entry. Please be gentle with me!! Below is a message which I recently wrote to an international wine merchant. if anyone is interested in reading the reply, ask me very nicely!!

Hello
Just paid almost $30 (ca. 1000 BHT!!) for a bottle of your wine in Hatyai, Thailand. Absolutely scandalous. I will not be exploring your wine selection ever again.
Regards

'Absolutely scandalous. I will not be exploring your wine selection ever again'.

Which is exactly the response that the three main beer and whiskey producers, (powerful and influential - probably government officials), in Thailand want to hear.

They do not want wine to become a popular distraction from their indescribably, poor quality beers, etc, which they wish to retain their monopoly of. No ASEAN/western competition wanted here - thank you very much! 

• Like 1

I am a red Cardbordeaux connoisseur and enjoy Castle Creek 5 ltr, Berri Estates 3 ltr and Mar Sol 4 ltr, respectively. 

However, was in Villa Market in Patts 2 weeks ago and found 2 decent 750 ml bottles of Australian red wine. Rumours (sp) @ B199 and Charles Strong Reserve @ B200. The latter being IMO the better of the 2 and excellent for the price. Haven't been in Villa BKK lately, but would recommend both...especially the Charles Strong. 

37 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

I am a red Cardbordeaux connoisseur and enjoy Castle Creek 5 ltr, Berri Estates 3 ltr and Mar Sol 4 ltr, respectively. 

However, was in Villa Market in Patts 2 weeks ago and found 2 decent 750 ml bottles of Australian red wine. Rumours (sp) @ B199 and Charles Strong Reserve @ B200. The latter being IMO the better of the 2 and excellent for the price. Haven't been in Villa BKK lately, but would recommend both...especially the Charles Strong. 

Apart from the casks, these are two of the wines that Villa has increased the price.

18 hours ago, nanglong218 said:

It has no indigenous wine industry

You mean you have not noticed the "fruit wine" varieties sold often at stalls in malls and even i believe in Big C? :smile:

There is also a local vineyard at Silverlake (near Pattaya) and I believe others........

However I don't drink them and agree it is a very small part of the overall market.

16 hours ago, yopf said:

Hello
Regards

If you do a search and read any of the wine threads you should be aware that the relatively high prices are (mainly) a function of the customs and import duties which I am sure the "merchant" blamed in his reply.

If his reply is interesting why not post it or parts of it?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

For those of us that don't live in Ivory towers its concerning.

Sorry to have caused you loss of face. I know that too can be devastating for some farang. My post was meant in jest.

I don't live in an ivory tower and have a very firm grasp on the gritty reality of life. Not sure if you have a solid grasp of the meaning of the "ivory tower" expression.

In any event, I would prefer to have a decent glass of wine once a month rather than buy gallons of something quasi-lethal to guzzle by the hour, assuming I felt financially restrained.

Edited by Suradit69

26 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Sorry to have caused you loss of face. I know that too can be devastating for some farang. My post was meant in jest.

I don't live in an ivory tower and have a very firm grasp on the gritty reality of life. Not sure if you have a solid grasp of the meaning of the "ivory tower" expression.

In any event, I would prefer to have a decent glass of wine once a month rather than buy gallons of something quasi-lethal to guzzle by the hour, assuming I felt financially Are 

In all honestly i think you need to get over yourself.  'Loss of face'... Very amusing, I actually laughed out loud when i read that!  You're so off the mark i think you're quite possibly a 10am at the bar retiree i drive past every morning - sitting and fueling their sick addiction. Chin up, don't be so hard on yourself and have a  good day. Consider an alcohol free day once a week (and I don't mean you get someone else to pay).

Very funny post, well done squire!

?

20 hours ago, geisha said:

Im spoilt in France with very good  affordable wine. I can’t believe the rubbish they sell here, especially in restaurants.Ive had nice wine in Wine connexion though, and I look forward to some nice wine when in Bangkok.

Likewise here in Greece. My daily table wine is a local (Nemea) Merlot, 12.5% ABV, currently the 2016 vintage, which I buy in a 10 litre box. While not a 'fine wine' by any stretch of the imagination, it is very drinkable, and serves well as a table wine. It's certainly better than all the cheaper(?) end of wines in Thailand. And what do I pay for 10 litres of very nice table wine? The princely sum of 18.70 Euros, about 730 Baht.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, nanglong218 said:

Is it me?  Perhaps it is, but is Thailand withdrawing inside itself?  It has no indigenous wine industry and seems threatened by foreign influences.  Vis the immigration  hoops we must climb through, financial requirements etc.

Perhaps wine restrictions are another brick in the wall.  Four days in Siem Reap was an eyeopener.

What's more,the stuff served up here at everyman's prices wouldn't qualify as vin de table in a French truckstop, of which I have much experience.

My visa is up in July.  Cambodia looks nice.

There is a domestic wine industry but wine is below par generally and overpriced. Have avoided it for years. I think around 4 wineries in Thailand. The one up behind Hua Hin has quite a reasonable restaurant but wines are high priced for what you get (or they were last time I visited about 3 years past.