Why is the "feeling" of the weather so different now compared to low season?

Hal65

As I write this it's 1:45 pm and 88F at 67% humidity. I barely need a fan, weather feels nice.

However there are times in low season where it feels so wet and sweaty even though the stats are basically the same. October comes to mind. I think May to July have some pretty sweaty/sticky weeks too.

Can anyone explain why this is? If humidity were 20% higher on those sweaty days I'd understand, but I believe the temp and humidity is basically the same as now.

23 minutes ago, thailien8 said:

Maybe your body is getting used to the heat.  

I like to think that going on 4 years here. Then every year I'm reminded that I sweat like a pig during the worst of low season.

I just wish I knew why. No one seems to be able to tell me either. I guess there's more to the weather than the heat/humidity readings.

If by 'low season' you mean the Northern Hemisphere summer months, it's because from around November through to February we get the North-East monsoon blowing down from China, which brings cooler, dryer air and very little rain. That's just starting to break down now. The period from June through to the end of October sees the South-West monsoon which carries much more humid air and a lot of rain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

The period from June through to the end of October sees the South-West monsoon which carries much more humid air and a lot of rain.

This is the traditional explanation, yet I would expect higher humidity during those months to account for the extra sweatiness.

But IIRC it's about 70% humidity (during the daytime) in those months too. Humidity goes down during the day and rises at night.

And outside of late March/April the highs are usually high 80s.

I'm starting to think the humidity readings are wrong for some reason; either too high now, or too low in low season. There has to be a bigger gap than what's shown.

Edited by Hal65

19 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

This is the traditional explanation, yet I would expect higher humidity during those months to account for the extra sweatiness.

But IIRC it's about 70% humidity (during the daytime) in those months too. Humidity goes down during the day and rises at night.

I'm starting to think the humidity readings are wrong for some reason; either too high now, or too low in low season. There has to be a bigger gap than what's shown.

Perhaps buy your own humidity meter to be accurate.

13 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Where are they from? Humidity is always higher when there is more rain around.

15 hours ago, keithpa said:

During high humidity, the droplets form on your skin, act like magnifying glasses, ;increasing body temp, so, more sweat is produced.(rich people perspire)

Not really (I hope it was tongue in check). Sweat is produced when your body is too hot. The sweat evaporates and this has a cooling effect (look up evaporative cooling). If your body cannot cool itself eventually you can suffer from heat stroke.

Hydrate yourself, and don't do strenuous activities during the heat of the day.

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Your numbers are off.

Low season many days 100 and humidity much higher.

I've been tracking this carefully. Last year the highest temperature was 100 degrees F for the whole year. And only for 1 day: https://www.accuweather.com/en/th/pattaya/317584/month/317584?monyr=4/01/2017

You can see 90% of April 2017 had a high of 95.

Humidity mid day is usually around 70-75%. It's never higher than 80% until it gets close to nightfall.

All these are readings from wherever the weather station is though. They may very well be off for humidity. Temperatures, I'm suspicious of the claim of over 100F in Pattaya.

Edited by Hal65

2 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Temperatures, I'm suspicious of the claim of over 100F in Pattaya

It could very likely depend where the measurement is taken. Whenever I visit Pattaya it always seems a few degrees hotter than our home near Payoon Beach. Away from the seafront, the place is just one vast concrete heatsink.

2 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Drink more water.

Expect more sweating after a high protein meal.

After sexual activity also.

Seriously, I sweat a lot during this activity and in the low season especially it can dehydrate.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hal65 said:

I've been tracking this carefully. Last year the highest temperature was 100 degrees F for the whole year. And only for 1 day: https://www.accuweather.com/en/th/pattaya/317584/month/317584?monyr=4/01/2017

You can see 90% of April 2017 had a high of 95.

Humidity mid day is usually around 70-75%. It's never higher than 80% until it gets close to nightfall.

All these are readings from wherever the weather station is though. They may very well be off for humidity. Temperatures, I'm suspicious of the claim of over 100F in Pattaya.

OK, I am probably wrong then.

I am just comparing it to my home country where it feels similar and the numbers are higher.

Whatever, I find myself taking 4 to 5 showers a day and having to change clothes they get so soaked.

• Like 1