Video: Meet "The Kindest German in Thailand" - with a heart of pure gold, just like the Thais

webfact

What a heap of crap reporting! Just like a Thai with a heart of gold?? Why, just because he sees himself as lower than the monks and bows and scrapes to them? What about reporting on people of all nationalities who go regularly to church every Sunday, maybe give them the same title but just out the nationality of the person doing it. Just because someone bows and scraps and demeans themselves in front of either a monk or a man on a cross, doesn’t mean they are a good person, it just means that they think that that will get them in a place called heaven when they die!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

brainwashed Thais, the lot of them, beggars in robes we call them, rich as hell, (have you seen the money being handed over at the temples, and spent on drugs , booze, and young kids. ) i have seen poor people down to their last baht giving these leeches money, in the hope of good luck, i tell my MRS you make your own luck in life, yep been to a few temples to see poor folk drop a 100 baht bill into an urn then off to another part of the complex to drop off a few more 100 bahts

Bible belt, U.S.A, the so-called flagship of Western freedom and democracy, where mega-church television evangelicals are bilking millions out of gullible, often lonely old folks for a Prosperity Gospel-preaching JEEEEESSSSSUUSSSS.

Talk about brainwashing...you need only a slight rinse...make that a selective, myopic, tunnel-versioned rinse.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Essaybloke said:

It's human nature mate- no culture necessarily deserves a special mention.  He's an ethically minded bloke who happens to be German.   Good on him.

BS.It's German culture to help. Look what happened to refugees. Where was humanity in UK??? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

BS.It's German culture to help. Look what happened to refugees. Where was humanity in UK??? 

Thanks for referring to my reply as 'BS' based on one single irrelevant (and somewhat erroneous) example. Many would likely beg to differ on your rather broad and historically inaccurate generalization.  But once again,  full credit to the inspirational gentleman and his wife, good hearted human beings that they are. Have a great day!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mercman24 said:

brainwashed Thais, the lot of them, beggars in robes we call them, rich as hell, (have you seen the money being handed over at the temples, and spent on drugs , booze, and young kids. ) i have seen poor people down to their last baht giving these leeches money, in the hope of good luck, i tell my MRS you make your own luck in life, yep been to a few temples to see poor folk drop a 100 baht bill into an urn then off to another part of the complex to drop off a few more 100 bahts

I'm afraid you are right, remember the big abbot who fiddled importing a classic Mercedes...[mercman number 1].  However, donation from the poor is an act of

desperation for many, in the same way the poor in UK buy scratch cards.

Better to support a shaky Buddha than a greedy uk corporation.

My vote is on the German fella.

Many Farangs do good here in Thailand.  Not always giving to a temple for which few or none of us know where the money goes. No different than churches in the western world. NO accountability. Yet, his money and his choice to devote his time for which is more than some do.  Better than falling off a barstool drunk at 10 AM.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

We have no humanity in the UK..we have austerity, and greedy banks.

I have lived in Germany, learning the lingo, I found good friends and hospitality.

• Like 1

In the first picture, is the man wai'ing correctly? Based on my very limited understanding, his wife's wai is deeper than his. Is that because he's the rich farang and she's the Thai wife or because he's doing it wrong?

And why is he pointing his feet at the monk?

15 hours ago, smudger1951 said:

People donate to christian churches and organisations who in turn distribute to the the homeless and needy. If the buddist monks/temples don't help their communities in this way then perhaps this well meaning man should bypass them.

The UK Christian Church is the second largest landowner after the queen.

Forget contribution, lets have a bit of distribution your majesty and your holiness.    aka..Rip off systems UK!

26 minutes ago, jerry921 said:

In the first picture, is the man wai'ing correctly? Based on my very limited understanding, his wife's wai is deeper than his. Is that because he's the rich farang and she's the Thai wife or because he's doing it wrong?

And why is he pointing his feet at the monk?

He is not doing anything wrong it is a picture he is probably still moving and one half a second later his wai will be the same as his wife's high.

Cannot calling that pointing his feet at the monk he is sitting naturally that's all.

• Like 1

I used to donate money, not a big sum, every so often to an orphanage a few kilometers from where I lived. Then I changed the donation to edibles because I heard something that displeased me (not corruption, well as far as I was aware). Now, I mention this because I'm confident that many expats did and do more than I have done for Thai people. There is no need to be like Thai people to do some good it's being what you are and what you feel. What about those expats that teach in schools...okay so they get paid (or maybe some are volunteers) and maybe they do it Pattaya too. It's the quiet ones who keep their head down and don't want any fuss, who probably deserve a medal. So give us a break with '...heart of gold...' stuff eh?

5 hours ago, mercman24 said:

100 % correct, my thai lady told me years ago they have really huge bank accounts. I asked why then do you give money. She said for good luck. Just look at a funeral in the temple and I have been to many. They ask for the deceased to remain in the temple for a few days.... good money raised.