How to politely turn down sellers in Thailand?

politetraveler32

My workmates and I have been planning to go to Thailand for about a year now. We’re finally doing it in two months and we’re doing our individual research about the place and the culture in preparation. I saw in one of the blogs I’ve read that vendors in tourist spots can be quite pushy on what they are selling, and that they had a pretty bad experience with them when they went there for an asian matchmaking tour.

How do we turn them down without insulting them or appearing too harsh? The least thing we want to happen is to cause some trouble while in there. What do we do if saying “no thanks” won’t make them back off?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, allane said:

You and every other foreigner are doing them a great favour by even setting foot in their country. There is absolutely no need for any of us to worry about being polite. When I am on the beach, I close my eyes when I see them coming. Anywhere else, say nothing. Of course they don't understand any foreign language. If you say anything at all, they take it as an expression of interest in whatever they are selling. 

I like the way you think. It was a great help. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I recommend using international sign language.

For me what works is to show how much money I have, I say very loudly in English I have money very small, I use one hand or two to indicate what a short distance is.

This usually works for me, everyone understands if you're money is too short to go along way.

Then thank everyone with a big smile and be in your way.

• Haha 1

It's good opportunity to practise your Thai

- Mai au, krap (I don't want, thank you)

- Farang mai mee tang, krap (Foreigner doesn't have money)

- Mee läo, krap (I have already)

Remember to smile and you'll get a smile back before the seller moves on.

1 minute ago, manchega said:

I recommend using international sign language.

For me what works is to show how much money I have, I say very loudly in English I have money very small, I use one hand or two to indicate what a short distance is.

This usually works for me, everyone understands if you're money is too short to go along way.

Then thank everyone with a big smile and be in your way.

Having to go through that routine every 5 meters may wear thin.... 

Tourists can often be seen being ever so polite to someone who's simply trying too hard to sell them something... It's nice to see someone making effort to be polite, however, the persistence of the sellers often wears thin... that's when you see those who've been here any length of time simply ignore them and anyone else trying to vie for their attention.... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oilinki said:

It's good opportunity to practise your Thai

- Mai au, krap (I don't want, thank you)

- Farang mai mee tang, krap (Foreigner doesn't have money)

- Mee läo, krap (I have already)

Remember to smile and you'll get a smile back before the seller moves on.

If you want to use Thai "Chern by" .... "invite them to leave"

Indian tailors are the best value.  Find one close to your hotel that you will pass by at least twice a day on your daily travels.  Day 1, you will be accosted so feign interest and tell him you'll come back later.  See how excited he is on the return journey, same agin, tell him you're in a hurry but will see him in the morning.  Usually takes about 4 days before he ignores you.  

• Haha 1

Simple thai like someone else suggested "mai ow" or "mai ow khrap" gives the impression you didn't get off the boat yesterday and you've heard and seen all this before.  They tend to back off sooner.  It's easy and tells them you don't want what they're offering.  Smiling is optional, but truth is if they're a pushy $&#*@ there's no reason to be polite, and it won't matter to them.  

8 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

Most of the time,  I just ignore them,Sometimes say  MI OW  ( dont want)

I know may not seem polite, but i did not ask them to ask me, so why respond...

Just smile and end it with "Kahp." That's polite and they get the message.

Phonetically:  May ow, kahp