Pollution tax on motorcycles now on the table

webfact

Pollution tax on motorcycles now on the table

By Thai PBS

motorcycle.jpg

The Excise Department is now studying a possibility to introduce vehicle pollution tax on motorcycles in a new effort to improve air quality.

The department’s director-general Mr Krisada Chinavicharana said excise officials are now studying the possibility of charging pollution tax on motorcycles similar to cars in accordance with the emission of carbon (CO2) emission.

He said currently excise tax on motorcycle is charged in accordance with the engine capacity. But under the study, the more carbon it emits, the higher pollution tax will be charged.

Full story:  http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pollution-tax-motorcycles-now-table/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-02-20

He also disclosed that during the past four months of Fiscal 2018 year, collection of overall excise taxes was 1 billion baht over the target, as collection of car and liquor taxes had surpassed targets.

But collection of excise tax on oil was below the target because more eco cars were used.

However he was confident overall collection of excise tax could meet the target at 600 billion baht.

The Excise Department forecast 800 billion baht excise tax to be collected in 2021 from expansion of tax bases and increase the collection efficiency of officials.

About money, !

Being serious about air quality is having an effective policing of defect vehicles , that you see every day, 

A program of calling in these polluting belching contaminates vehicles to a central number where the vehicle can be inspected and removed from the roads until it s fixed to the correct emission standard,

Blatant disregard for the air quality for all has its price,  have the will and use those extra monies the government has already collected to set this up, so many dash cameras are now in use combined with photo taking smart phones , very quickly the campaign  will be effective,

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes it would be such an improvement if all the MC riders would drive cars.. just imagine the traffic jams. If anything things should be made better for motorcycles instead of limiting the flyovers they can use and  stupid rules like that. Also most motorcycles pollute far less then the average car (just look at the use of fuel).

Agree, especially if the bikes are 4 stroke. 6/12 people transported on 6 bikes for the same road space and less fuel used than one car.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Agree, especially if the bikes are 4 stroke. 6/12 people transported on 6 bikes for the same road space and less fuel used than one car.

I believe almost all bikes are 4 stroke (at least most of the newer ones are) even my ninja 650 was not 2 stroke. All the scooters I owned were 4 strokes. 

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Still a few old oil burners around though.

Ok i live in BKK i don't see many of them also when parking my bike in shopping centers. But yea im sure there are still a few around but less then 1% maybe (just going by own experience of what i see parked and driving around). 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Ok i live in BKK i don't see many of them also when parking my bike in shopping centers. But yea im sure there are still a few around but less then 1% maybe (just going by own experience of what i see parked and driving around). 

And a few smaller capacity 4 strokes that have had the crap revved out of them for years and rings, valves etc well burned that probably use more oil than gas around my way.

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

I still see plenty out here in the sticks, often with dodgy expansion chambers. My first bike was a KH250, later I had a GT750 so I quite like two strokes.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

And a few smaller capacity 4 strokes that have had the crap revved out of them for years and rings, valves etc well burned that probably use more oil than gas around my way.

True.. but the same goes for some cars that belch out black smoke, for some people it seems maintenace is not a priority. The cops should fine people like that (fat chance)

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

I still see plenty out here in the sticks, often with dodgy expansion chambers. My first bike was a KH250, later I had a GT750 so I quite like two strokes.

in the sticks things are probably different... i poorer people who keep bikes longer but in BKK I really don't see many and I often park in huge motorcycle parking spaces of central westgate and when I park at the Makro I also don't see many. But I have no knowledge of the sticks.

10 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Tax the fuel and then those who use more will pay more.

Yep. Another idiot idea from the cabinet of Generals.

Ya know, all these little 110/125 runarounds have been FI for the last few years. We are talking 200 mpg....

Compared to a Toyota Vios thingey doing 40 mpg and hogging 6-8 times more space on the road?

Really smart these dumbf##ks in power.

Who would never ride a bicycle or powered 2 wheeler to and fro in city traffic. Hell no! No aircon....

• Like 2

Just now, thaiguzzi said:

Yep. Another idiot idea from the cabinet of Generals.

Ya know, all these little 110/125 runarounds have been FI for the last few years. We are talking 200 mpg....

Compared to a Toyota Vios thingey doing 40 mpg and hogging 6-8 times more space on the road?

Really smart these dumbf##ks in power.

Who would never ride a bicycle or powered 2 wheeler to and fro in city traffic. Hell no! No aircon....

There was a fishing lake in center of BKK I had a locker there so I did not have to bring rods. So I always took my bike, the same trip with my car would have taken double the time (45 min vs 2 hours). I just use what is best for me at that time, more often then not its the motorcycle. (even though mc are more dangerous but I think that is for a large part dependent on who drives)

• Like 2

i think scooters will be naturally phased out in favor of electric scooters in cities,

its already ongoing in china and can be speed up in thailand too.

the issue in for example pattaya is not CO2, but traffic jam,

and the biggest problem is cars, both those parked on one of the traffic lanes, and those clogging up the remaining lane

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cars in traffic-jam pollutes the air many times more, than a car or motorbike driving at normal speed, so solve the traffic congestion problems in Bangkok to improve the air quality.  I leave the car at home and use my motorbike in Bangkok, to get through the traffic-jam.

And also get rid of the many old diesel vehicles with black smoke coming out of the exhaust.