Do I need really need a Yellow Book showing my residence in Thailand just to transfer car registration from Chiang Mai to Cha Am?

miketu

Do I need really need a  yellow house book to change car registration??  Online I read where the buyer doesn't need a yellow book but the seller needs a yellow book to do the registration transfer???

I bought my car in Chiang Mai and now need to register it in Cha Am.   I went to the Land Transfer Office in Petchaburi with all the signed forms from the previous owner of the car.  However the Land Transfer said the previous filled out the wrong form for a truck instead of a car.  In addition the Land Transfer Office said that I needed a Yellow Book showing my current residence before I could register the car.  I own a condo in Cha Am.  

No problem, I talked with and mailed the correct car transfer forms to the previous owner of the car to fill out and mail back and am waiting for that.

In the mean time I went to Immigration office in Tha Yang per instruction from the the Petchaburi Land Transfer Office inquiring about the yellow book and they sent me to the government office in Cha Am.  The steps to get issued a Yellow book for your house residence is detailed and difficult.  

Does any have any experience or advice on how to get the d**n car registered in Cha Am without having a Yellow Book issued for your residence,

practically becoming a Thai citizen first???!!

Thanks!

Edited by miketu

5 minutes ago, ukrules said:

When I registered my car I used a certificate of residence which I got from immigration.

They charge 500 Baht, that's all that was needed. It was a new car but I don't think it makes any difference - it's just to prove your address.

Lost in translation or a wrong assumption by the officer that now every foreigner has a yellow book?

Ironically there are DLTs that ignore the yellow book and always insist on a certificate from immigration.

Pattaya is notorious for that.

I have a yellow book and will be happy if it's accepted again at my DLT office.

• Like 2

On 2/20/2018 at 8:39 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Lost in translation or a wrong assumption by the officer that now every foreigner has a yellow book?

Ironically there are DLTs that ignore the yellow book and always insist on a certificate from immigration.

Pattaya is notorious for that.

I have a yellow book and will be happy if it's accepted again at my DLT office.

Ah, Pattaya.....

Bought a motorcycle there.

Could not register it in my name, they said.

And also very expensive, 20,000 baht or so.

Went to Khon Kaen with the paperwork from the dealer, they checked the framenumber, got another numberplate, the vehicle book, and back home.

450 baht......

Time needed 2 hours..

Sent the red plate back to the dealer by mail.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I never had a yellow book "as I imagine like most foreigners in Thailand ) and I have never been asked in 18 yrs. to priduce one to do any business...including the one you are talking about.

I completely agree I have been here 35 years, and I can't think of a single time when I could have had any use for it whatsoever. My Thai driving licences seems acceptable everywhere.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

I never had a yellow book "as I imagine like most foreigners in Thailand ) and I have never been asked in 18 yrs. to priduce one to do any business...including the one you are talking about.

You have never been asked for your yellow book?

I find that difficult to believe, i could not register a motorbike without mine, could not get a drivers license without mine.

Edited by colinneil
  • Like 1

I purchased a new car 2 years ago, i.e. 800,000 baht, put it in the wife's name because I didn't have a yellow book, eventually got a yellow book, car is still in the wife's name, I see it as part of the 10% I am prepared to lose if things go pair shape...lol

If you have a wife, the simple solution would be to put it in her name, that or go through all the paperwork and hassle of getting a yellow book to never use.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I purchased a new car 2 years ago, i.e. 800,000 baht, put it in the wife's name because I didn't have a yellow book, eventually got a yellow book, car is still in the wife's name, I see it as part of the 10% I am prepared to lose if things go pair shape...lol

If you have a wife, the simple solution would be to put it in her name, that or go through all the paperwork and hassle of getting a yellow book to never use.

One thing i cannot understand, many farangs tell how difficult it was for them to obtain a yellow book.

When i went to the Amphur in Banphai, to get my yellow book, the whole process took less than 30 minutes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

One thing i cannot understand, many farangs tell how difficult it was for them to obtain a yellow book.

When i went to the Amphur in Banphai, to get my yellow book, the whole process took less than 30 minutes.

Yes I suppose your correct, difficult for my wife, because she had to compile the paperwork, organise the mayor to be present and then there was the wait, but once in the interview stage, yes it was 30 minutes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yes I suppose your correct, difficult for my wife, because she had to compile the paperwork, organise the mayor to be present and then there was the wait, but once in the interview stage, yes it was 30 minutes.

When i did mine, went with my wife only asked for my passport, wifes i.d., tabien bahn, nobody present except Amphur boss, clerk, wife and me, job done.

If I’m not mistaken isn’t it a dark blue book for Condo’s ??? 

Regardless... you local DLT have been lazy with their request. An Affirmation of Residence is all that required...

i.e. House / Condi book With your name in it. Work Permit, Proof of Residence (from Immigration (if you’ve done a 90 day report) or an Affirmation of Residence (from your Embassy).

It may depend on your amphur.  I gave up on my yellow book as it was too much rigmarole trying to get it especially having to get  my passport translated to Thai by a certified translation service in a small village.  Been here many years, have a house, car, motorcycle, renewed my drivers license many times and have never needed the yellow book.  Everywhere I have been and had to do paperwork, such as immigration, DLT etc, whenever I have asked if a yellow book would make process easier I have always been told "No".  Dont know why anybody bothers with it??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When i did mine, went with my wife only asked for my passport, wifes i.d., tabien bahn, nobody present except Amphur boss, clerk, wife and me, job done.

Yep, but unfortunately as you know Colin every Immigration and Amphur have their own set of rules.

I tried to get a yellow book when my gf got the blue book for our ( her ) house.
I had to get a certified copy of my passport from British Embassy and a certified translation of this at MFA.
Plus, a certified translation of birth certificate at MFA also.
Armed with these plus the appropriate copies of gf’s id and tabian bahn etc went back to Amphur for the “ interview “ with headman.
He asked my gf if I’d ever been married, she replied “ yes “ so he then requested a certified copy of my decree nisi/absolute ( if I’d known he was gonna ask I’d have said I was never married ).

At this point I pulled the plug !!
Never pursued it any further.

Thanks for nothing Amphur Bang Pa-in [emoji20]
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Too easy....., we also had to have her parents there with their id's as well as the Mayor's

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, colinneil said:

I find that difficult to believe, i could not register a motorbike without mine, could not get a drivers license without mine.

I have a car licence and a motorbike licence and I have bought two motorbikes both registered in my name.

I am not a resident, I come here for 30 days, and I have never had a yellow book.

On 2/25/2018 at 11:09 AM, James HKT said:

Funnily enough I went to great pains to get a yellow Tabian Ban but so far it has been useless.

The value of a yellow book is related to personal circumstances and stretches a bit beyond the DLT. I have had mine for around 8 years and it has been very useful for things like flu jabs and the mobile health clinic.

A major benefit came a couple of years ago with the pink ID card, something else that many view as useless. I make use of the government hospitals and now no longer need my passport to go to a hospital.

Its a bit like beauty, all in the eye of the beholder.

On 2/25/2018 at 1:07 PM, colinneil said:

20 years here, never had it, never needed it. Driving license is useful though, especially as it also shows the passport number and registered address on the back.

On 2/25/2018 at 4:36 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yep, but unfortunately as you know Colin every Immigration and Amphur have their own set of rules.

I tried to get a yellow book when my gf got the blue book for our ( her ) house.
I had to get a certified copy of my passport from British Embassy and a certified translation of this at MFA.
Plus, a certified translation of birth certificate at MFA also.
Armed with these plus the appropriate copies of gf’s id and tabian bahn etc went back to Amphur for the “ interview “ with headman.
He asked my gf if I’d ever been married, she replied “ yes “ so he then requested a certified copy of my decree nisi/absolute ( if I’d known he was gonna ask I’d have said I was never married ).

At this point I pulled the plug !!
Never pursued it any further.

Thanks for nothing Amphur Bang Pa-in emoji20.png

Sometimes a little baksheesh makes life easier... But as far as I'm concerned it's virtually useless except for impressing other hapless foreigners.