Do you control the purse strings .

Once Bitten

On 24/02/2018 at 8:53 AM, Sirbergan said:

8 big bottles of Archa (I only drink in the evenings) and 2 packs of small L&M  works out to around 500. 

If you are really drinking 8 big bottles of that horse piss Archa and smoking 48 cancer sticks every single day, you better pray for death by a massive cardiac arrest or run over by an 18 wheeler or some such quick death when the time comes. Or budget now for a long & painful hospitalisation for cirhossis, lung cancer, kidney failure etc.  Or you might end up begging on you tube.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, saakura said:

If you are really drinking 8 big bottles of that horse piss Archa and smoking 48 cancer sticks every single day, you better pray for death by a massive cardiac arrest or run over by an 18 wheeler or some such quick death when the time comes. Or budget now for a long & painful hospitalisation for cirhossis, lung cancer, kidney failure etc.  Or you might end up begging on you tube.

I really am, but right now I would have been praying (if I believed in some fictional character who can remedy anything, but apparently is drunk out of his mind while the world is suffering, doing nothing at all) for your math skills to improve so you don't get completely screwed in life. 2 x 20 = 48?

• Haha 1

Married to a thai since 15 years. All these years i was not much concerned as both of us earn good salaries and expenses were, i would guess, about 30-40% of the income. But in the back of my mind, i would always be reminded of my mom who not only diligently kept an account of the household budget & spendings, but also taught me the virtue of same when i was a kid.

As i would be retiring within the next 8 or 10 years, i am getting into the habit now. Though not my wife who is 10 years younger. But neither of us spend recklessly. My indulgence is 2 good craft beers in the evening and a 5 star fitness club membership. Hers is much more (beauty treatments, clothes, phones and yoga) but spent from her own money. All other expenses including childrens education, housing, holidays etc are shared roughly around 60/40% which is prportional to our earnings.

4 minutes ago, Sirbergan said:

I really am, but right now I would have been praying (if I believed in some fictional character who can remedy anything, but apparently is drunk out of his mind while the world is suffering, doing nothing at all) for your math skills to improve so you don't get completely screwed in life. 2 x 20 = 48?

Sorry i dont smoke and i thought there were 24 cancer sticks in a pack. Also i did not know there are small & big cigarette packs as you mention 'small LM'

Just now, saakura said:

Sorry i dont smoke and i thought there were 24 cancer sticks in a pack. Also i did not know there are small & big cigarette packs as you mention 'small LM'

All good, don't worry about it. As for "horse piss Archa", I would go out and buy my bottles even if I knew the host was going to sport all the beer – it's my preferred choice, and I don't really care about free beer. I frequently buy Heineken for others, but given the choice I would choose Archa 10/10 times. Leo and Chang is the worst, I'd consider drinking your beer if you offered me a Heineken.

Yes, there are 20 in a pack of cigarettes.

11 minutes ago, Sirbergan said:

All good, don't worry about it. As for "horse piss Archa", I would go out and buy my bottles even if I knew the host was going to sport all the beer – it's my preferred choice, and I don't really care about free beer. I frequently buy Heineken for others, but given the choice I would choose Archa 10/10 times. Leo and Chang is the worst, I'd consider drinking your beer if you offered me a Heineken.

Yes, there are 20 in a pack of cigarettes.

Sorry again, no offence intended. I do beleive 8 big bottles & 2 packs everyday are just too much for our body and used strong language to dissuade you. I will have an Archa one of these days :smile:

10 minutes ago, saakura said:

Sorry again, no offence intended. I do beleive 8 big bottles & 2 packs everyday are just too much for our body and used strong language to dissuade you. I will have an Archa one of these days :smile:

While it is too much for it to be healthy,  it certainly is better than than going on a bender every weekend, it is amazing what the body gets used to. Drinking the same amount every day is a lot better for your liver than going on a bender ever weekend, believe it or not. And yeah, have an Archa, it's a really good beer :)

And no worries, life is too short to get offended :)

Edited by Sirbergan
Clarifying

On 21.2.2018 at 6:41 AM, giddyup said:

Never kept an account of expenditures since I retired. There's always more coming in than going out so why worry? My partner is frugal and I never have to worry about her overspending.She has her own bank account as well as having a joint account with me. More than 8 years together and 100% trustworthy.

When I mentioned to my Thai lawyer that I have thought that my wife of 13 years was 100% "trustworthy", he had to laugh so hard that he spilled his coffee over his pants.

He then gave me a sermon concerning the meaning of trust/loyalty in Thai society, cultural differences etc etc.
In closing, he didn't forget to mention, that thanks to him specializing early in his career in matters concerning "Trusting" Farangs, he was able to amass a "small fortune" (his words).

Ever since, the expression by comrade Lenin "Trust is good, control is better" is quite relevant to me, especially when it comes to any dealings involving Thailand.
Cheers. 

Thankfully, these days I don't have to deal with Purse Strings within a relationship anymore.

I can fully concentrate on my shoe-strings, the strings of my guitar, the astronomical string theory, the g-strings of my private dancers. Everything, as long as there are no "strings attached". I feel blessed.
Cheers.

• Like 1

I don't handle money in Thailand, my wife looks after it better than I ever could, occasionally I will get handed change, it is just a nuisance in my pocket, so I give it to my wife, or put it in the childrens money box. 

I bring enough cash when I arrive to be sure there is no question regarding finances on entry, I am only too pleased to hand it on to my wife when we meet. Such a hassle free life I lead in Thailand...as it should be. :smile: My wife never asks for money :smile: nor anyone expects me to pay for anything :smile:

6 hours ago, swissie said:

When I mentioned to my Thai lawyer that I have thought that my wife of 13 years was 100% "trustworthy", he had to laugh so hard that he spilled his coffee over his pants.

All I can say is in all my relationships with women, and there have been quite a few in my 75 years, is that I have never been ripped off. Call it a good judge of character or good luck. Are you suggesting that no women are trustworthy, or just Thai women?

Edited by giddyup

On 2/25/2018 at 9:03 PM, saakura said:

Married to a thai since 15 years. All these years i was not much concerned as both of us earn good salaries and expenses were, i would guess, about 30-40% of the income. But in the back of my mind, i would always be reminded of my mom who not only diligently kept an account of the household budget & spendings, but also taught me the virtue of same when i was a kid.

As i would be retiring within the next 8 or 10 years, i am getting into the habit now. Though not my wife who is 10 years younger. But neither of us spend recklessly. My indulgence is 2 good craft beers in the evening and a 5 star fitness club membership. Hers is much more (beauty treatments, clothes, phones and yoga) but spent from her own money. All other expenses including childrens education, housing, holidays etc are shared roughly around 60/40% which is prportional to our earnings.

So when do you live? In the after life?

22 hours ago, giddyup said:

All I can say is in all my relationships with women, and there have been quite a few in my 75 years, is that I have never been ripped off. Call it a good judge of character or good luck. Are you suggesting that no women are trustworthy, or just Thai women?

Or maybe u just didn't have anything worth ripping off??

56 minutes ago, jumbo said:

Or maybe u just didn't have anything worth ripping off??

I suppose, if you don't count properties, car, expensive watch collection, and money in the bank. Don't judge everyone by your poverty.

Edited by giddyup

I thought I was the only lucky codger here! My missus keeps careful track of all spending here and we discuss big-ticket expenditures.

On the other hand, I keep track of overseas expences but most of the wife's income is direct deposit into our banks there.

We've never fought over money, when we had a lot or far less. I don't need to ask for cash, it's always there.