International Drivers Permit

stud858

I would like to offer my experience with the International Drivers Permit used in Thailand.

What problems that can arise by using it as a substitute for a Thai Drivers Licence?

I obtained mine from Australia RACV and I have had no need yet to show it to police officials or insurance.

I am currently in the process of obtaining more information from official offices regarding it's validity here in Thailand.

I'll add information as time goes on.

Please add your good and bad experiences here if you've had one before.

For those wanting to chose the IDP these discussions will help you to decide if its the best way for you to drive legally in Thailand.

At the end of the day, it's your responsibility and I take no responsibility for problems you face with fines, insurance, etc.

I hope you find some use of what people have to say.

The Limits on the IDP (which are used in accompaniment with your Home Country Driving licence) are that while its validity is for 12 months, some (a number of) Insurance Companies only allow you to drive a vehicle for up to 90 days (check small print).

The IDP may smooth over your application for a local driving licence, although more recently your Home Country Driving Licence if in English is accepted without the need for an IDP.

Obtaining a Temporary Thai Driving Licence is easy enough and it lasts for 2 years - the IDP has an alternative is valid for 12 months, but as mentioned, it potentially has a limited validity of 90 days. Thus for the ease of obtaining a Thai Licence operating in that 'grey area' beyond 90 days is not really worth it - especially if driving your own car under your own insurance.

Additionally so: If the driver is not a Tourist of a Visitor (i.e. you are on a Non-Immigrant Visa) then it is necessary to have a Thai Driving Licence. 

Edited by richard_smith237

I'd like to add Some of the things that can be proved true and some things that need checking.

An IDP can be purchased in Australia by Australians online and posted to you in Thailand from RACV.

Other nationalities need to check with their transport authority on who is authorized and if they are part of the Geneva agreement. Most likely there are unofficial documents being offered. Please be careful.

It's validity is for 1 year.

My insurance company (maybe not yours) over the phone said it is accepted as a drivers licence for insurance purposes.

It must be accompanied by my Australian drivers licence.

Wiki -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

Things that need to be confirmed,

If there is an official time limit to it's use in Thailand and set by who?

If there is a certain Visa requirement to make it legal.

Please propose any further questions.

An IDP may not be for everyone, but was a great option for me.

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Limits on the IDP (which are used in accompaniment with your Home Country Driving licence) are that while its validity is for 12 months, it can only (should) be used for 90 days. 

The IDP may smooth over your application for a local driving licence, although more recently your Home Country Driving Licence if in English is accepted without the need for an IDP.

Obtaining a Temporary Thai Driving Licence is easy enough and it lasts for 2 years - the IDP has an alternative is valid, but as mentioned, it has a limited validity of 90 days per year. Thus for the ease of obtaining a Thai Licence operating in that 'grey area' beyond 90 days is not really worth it. 

RAC states that an IDP is required in LOS together with UK drivers license in Thailand..

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit/

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Limits on the IDP (which are used in accompaniment with your Home Country Driving licence) are that while its validity is for 12 months, it can only (should) be used for 90 days. 

Obtaining a Temporary Thai Driving Licence is easy enough and it lasts for 2 years - the IDP has an alternative is valid, but as mentioned, it has a limited validity of 90 days per year. Thus for the ease of obtaining a Thai Licence operating in that 'grey area' beyond 90 days is not really worth it. 

I had quite a farcical experience myself while trying for the 2 year.  Sorry, those details I keep to myself. Not only me, but the room was full of unsatisfied polite and humble people.  That day I was actually proud of humanity at the site of all the foreigners keeping their cool in the event of diversity.

Many years ago when I was working with a work permit, I was on a 5 year licence. No major hassles then. But my current view has changed.

The IDP was literally done within 5 minutes online.

Can you please tell me more about the 90 day rule? Have you been told it by police officers, Have you seen it online?

I'd like to include it here for everyone to be certain of it.  

My thought is that the 90 day rule has  been made up and used by some officers to gain benefit and it's stuck.  By calmly explaining to officers that the international licence is backed by the Geneva Convention and embassy approved and you would  like to confirm with them first then it may knock down the attempted misinformation.

But I don't want to think too much. Hopefully we can find the source of the rule

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stud858 said:

I had quite a farcical experience myself while trying for the 2 year.  Sorry, those details I keep to myself. Not only me, but the room was full of unsatisfied polite and humble people.  That day I was actually proud of humanity at the site of all the foreigners keeping their cool in the event of diversity.

Many years ago when I was working with a work permit, I was on a 5 year licence. No major hassles then. But my current view has changed.

Can you please tell me more about the 90 day rule? Have you been told it by police officers, Have you seen it online?

My thought is that the 90 day rule has  been made up and used by some officers to gain benefit and it's stuck.  By calmly explaining to officers that the international licence is backed by the Geneva Convention and embassy approved and you would  like to confirm with them first then it may knock down the attempted misinformation.

But I don't want to think too much. Hopefully we can find the source of the rule

The 90 day rule is more related to Insurance coverage. 

There are a number of Insurance Companies who's insurance becomes void if driving on an IDP for longer than 90 days, after which time you would need to get a Thai Licence.

It's somewhat of a 'grey area' hence there are no hard and fast, clear-cut rules documented. Each insurance company will be slightly different and this is information would need to sought from your Insurance company... IMO its best not to be in a situation where this is necessary. 

The same if you hold a Non-Immigration Visa...  you should have a Thai Licence...  

12 minutes ago, transam said:

RAC states that an IDP is required in LOS together with UK drivers license in Thailand..

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit/

You can obtain a Temporary 2 year Thai Driving Licence without an IDP if your Home Country Driving Licence is in English and has a photograph.

You will just need to do the Colour, Reaction tests etc and Watch the Video.

However, as far as the Police are concerned, if stopped, an IDP along with your Home Countries Licence will be required. 

Edited by richard_smith237

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You can obtain a Temporary 2 year Thai Driving Licence without an IDP if your Home Country Driving Licence is in English and has a photograph.

You will just need to do the Colour, Reaction tests etc and Watch the Video.

However, as far as the Police are concerned, if stopped, an IDP along with your Home Countries Licence will be required. 

I was hoping it would be that easy at the Transport office. It wasn't for me.  It was kind of like......hmmm I won't criticize....but I along with some other sad chaps walked away feeling insulted and without anything for our troubles.  I was there about a year ago.  Said changes were said to have been made back then.   I hear from Thai friends more changes, regarding medical certificates, testing procedure are coming.  

I would much prefer a Thai licence, but it is so so so much easier the IDP way. (With issues?, has yet to be seen by myself)

So, let's keep score. Zero people having or have had issues with IDP as of today in this forum.

I guess there has got to be one or two. Please share experiences.

3 minutes ago, stud858 said:

I was hoping it would be that easy at the Transport office. It wasn't for me.  It was kind of like......hmmm I won't criticize....but I along with some other sad chaps walked away feeling insulted and without anything for our troubles.  I was there about a year ago.  Said changes were said to have been made back then.   I hear from Thai friends more changes, regarding medical certificates, testing procedure are coming.  

I would much prefer a Thai licence, but it is so so so much easier the IDP way. (With issues?, has yet to be seen by myself)

So, let's keep score. Zero people having or have had issues with IDP as of today in this forum.

I get the impression you don't want to jump through a couple of easy hoops. You want someone to post here that they were caught out on an IDP and it cost them zillions...Yes/No..

I was stopped at an official and well manned road check recently on Suk., Road, just short of Bang Saray . The Cop wanted to see the IDP. He didn't just accept my UK driving licence , so be warned. His English was good and he knew exactly what he wanted to see. Good job I had it with me. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, transam said:

I get the impression you don't want to jump through a couple of easy hoops. You want someone to post here that they were caught out on an IDP and it cost them zillions...Yes/No..

Trying to help people who are unsuccessful at Transport office with Thai licences.

The IDP is a great option.

Trying to help people who are unsuccessful at Transport office with Thai licences.

Would be interesting to know how people are unsuccessful at obtaining Thai license.

I came to Thailand with a UK driving license and an IDP, was stopped and asked to produce my DL several times but never asked for the IDP.
I was under the impression that my IDP was valid for 12 months but a few threads on here mentioned 90 days only so I got a Thai license.

I produced my valid Uk DL and IDP on obtaining Thai license, the IDP was ignored and stated not necessary as my DL was in English language.

7 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Would be interesting to know how people are unsuccessful at obtaining Thai license.

Yes,Very interesting indeed to hear all the latest stories but I guess people are concerned about retribution if the offenders find out things are posted on public forums. I recommend against giving too much of a hard luck story away.

Stay safe everyone.

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

If you live here a Thai DL is required.

• Like 1

Just now, stevenl said:

I think he not will believe so let him driving on his International license.. maybe one time he will find out that that was wrong.

I not really know where this is written or if this is written somewhere in the thai laws.

But I know this is the law in my country (switzerland) and also many other countries... So I guess It will be as well in thailand... and as it's possible to receive a thai driver license I would go the way of the more safe way. But everything to themselve

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Good point. When presenting your IDP it is recommended you present yourself as a foreigner on holiday, and not a permanent person wanting to live here forever.

"To live" is such a general term.  I am on a tourist visa 2 months at a time on an METV. I live and breath in Thailand but I am a tourist holidaying taking in the sites and return to Australia often.

For those on a retirement situation may be different if you are asked to show your passport along with licences and permits.  You may be best to go through the more difficult process of a Thai licence if that is your case.

31 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Good point. When presenting your IDP it is recommended you present yourself as a foreigner on holiday, and not a permanent person wanting to live here forever.

"To live" is such a general term.  I am on a tourist visa 2 months at a time on an METV. I live and breath in Thailand but I am a tourist holidaying taking in the sites and return to Australia often.

For those on a retirement situation may be different if you are asked to show your passport along with licences and permits.  You may be best to go through the more difficult process of a Thai licence if that is your case.

Your passport will give them a clue.

2 hours ago, stud858 said:

Are you suggesting to keep renewing the IDP instead of obtaining a Thai licence? I don't know why you had a problem getting a Thai licence, or anyone would, it seems pretty straight forward to me, as long as you supply the necessary paperwork and pass the required tests.

Edited by giddyup

2 hours ago, stud858 said:

The Thai Licence is quite a simple process... It takes a few hours if you have the correct documentation. 

Any idea why were you rejected?

There are a number of threads on this forum which outline precisely which documentation you need.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

I am on a Non O  marriage visa, so technically I don't live here, I am just here visiting my wife who does.  Semantics maybe,  but it does mean that I leave the country every 90 days and get a new 3 month stamp on re admittance.  Again technically,  I am always within the 90 day rule. 

1 hour ago, ningnong said:

I think you're focusing too much on presenting a license at a checkpoint or stopped by police where you may be facing a 400 baht fine for incorrect license. You should be thinking about what would happen in case of a serious accident maybe involving injuries.

With the deck stacked against the farang in an accident do you really want to be in a position of having to prove you're a tourist on holiday when the cops discover you own the vehicle, have a house or condo rented, pay utility bills etc. "But officers see I have a tourist visa"

1st class insurance and a Thai DL is the way to go.

Point taken. IDP not for everyone. I will try to confirm some points in the very near future.  If I confirm 1 year validity with police, insurance accepts it  then I'll stick with the IDP for myself. If I find issues or not trust what I find then I'll get on my push bike.   

One side note about insurance that I was told about by a Thai person that I find fascinating is that Thai car insurance covers car to car damage on a road. If you smash into a shop front then you are on your own.  Can anyone confirm this? Maybe it's part of the 3rd party only policies.  I wish I could read Thai and read through all the policy papers.  

12 hours ago, stud858 said:

Try explaining the Geneva convention to an angry Thai cop if you get in some accident or type of trouble..... Good luck 

11 hours ago, stud858 said:

In Thailand, they do things the Thai way

Whether that makes no sense to your home nations policy is irrelevant while you are in Thailand

3 hours ago, speedtripler said:

In Thailand, they do things the Thai way

Whether that makes no sense to your home nations policy is irrelevant while you are in Thailand

I agree. Even to the point that having a Thai license doesn't make anyone exempt from problems. Weigh up the options. I was denied a Thai license so it's either no license at all or an IDP. For those on a Thai license I don't recommend going backwards.

11 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I am on a Non O  marriage visa, so technically I don't live here, I am just here visiting my wife who does.  Semantics maybe,  but it does mean that I leave the country every 90 days and get a new 3 month stamp on re admittance.  Again technically,  I am always within the 90 day rule. 

That is a rule from Thai immigration, nothing to do with living here.

If living here without Thai license you're potentially in a world of hurt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Meeting the requirements nobody will be denied a Thai license. If not meeting the requirements you should not be on the road.

If unfairness pops its ugly head to a person one day through an official having a bad day and you feel you deserve a second chance a way forward exists. I'd hope everyone supports this device that has been put in place to ultimately at least try and support a foreigner traveling the globe.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, stud858 said:

If unfairness pops its ugly head to a person one day through an official having a bad day and you feel you deserve a second chance a way forward exists. I'd hope everyone supports this device that has been put in place to ultimately at least try and support a foreigner traveling the globe.

There's nothing to stop you going to another transport office if you feel you were given a rough deal. Don't know why you can't be more specific as to why you were refused.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

There's nothing to stop you going to another transport office if you feel you were given a rough deal. Don't know why you can't be more specific as to why you were refused.

I could and may go back in the future to try for a Thai license. Different office.  Good idea. I'm still wanting to gain more info on IDP. Currently confirming with AXA insurance that all is good for the IDP 1 year. They will send English and Thai policy. Police visit today hopefully .But the IDP for my situation is so much easier. I ll keep embracing it if found to be solid. I know there's some that think it's dodgy. If I prove it to be dodgy I'll warn of the dangers.  So far Im not convinced of any dangers, but only discussions that I may find to be more true. In regards to more details on why I was refused.  I won't put anyone on trial on a public forum. Sorry. That's not so important anyway.  The important thing is that checkable facts are found out about IDP. Some of the facts are at the top of this forum. More to come. Finally. everyone will be able to make up their own mind with the aid of all discussion here.