Using Maslows Hierarchy of Needs to Ascertain Why Some Expats Fail in Thailand

webfact

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

But I believe that Thailand's expat community suffers from some unique dysfunctionality. The way expats interact in a European capitol, and how they interact in Thailand is not the same. In Thailand there is much more distrust and insecurity than you find in most other ex pat communities, even in other Asian countries such as Singapore, Tokyo or Hong Kong. I have long been puzzled by this, and am interested in hearing anyone's theories as to why this is the case.

I completely agree, and have just written an honest, revealing and long post to explain my thoughts and experiences..........................then deleted it because of an underlying feeling of mistrust and suspicion and a need to play my cards close to my chest.

Sad but true! 

I hope that not everyone has experienced this aspect of expat life Thailand, however it is real and has certainly made my experience here less fun than it might otherwise have been.

Theories/reasons as to why Thailand (Phuket....not representative of the whole country) is like this:

• Too many non-authentic people with hidden issues/agendas, their numbers way out of balance compared with groups in people's home countries.

• Dysfunctional people (men) whose main reason for living here is to make up for something they lack.

• A system which encourages people to inform on their neighbours, whether it be to jail a young Russian woman for cleaning some random coral pieces in her garden, to make a British man flee the country because he did some electrical work for someone who wanted the luxury of communicating in English, the older lady who was reported to immigration for helping a friend with the gardening.........and the list goes on.

• The subliminal feeling of being unwelcome in the country, which only comes after a while, brought on by enough experiences with Thai authorities and citizens. There are plenty of lovely Thai people, but the feeling is still there.

• Widespread corruption and lack of the rule of law.

Edited by Tapster
  • Thanks 1

Accept the country and it's people as they are, try to fit in the daily lives, be careful what you do and be thankful that you are allowed to live in such a beautiful country, no problem ...

But if you try to instil your home country's values and can't accept the situation. then you are in the wrong place and are better off back home, easy, eh? 

• Like 1

@weri

I hear you.

Essentially you are saying the oft-said thing:

"If you don't like it, go home"

I don't think that's exactly relevant here. We're discussing a facet of the Thai expat experience that really exists. It isn't a matter of not being able to fit in. It's a thing, a real thing that is created by experiences expats have in Thailand. Even you said "be careful what you do". Keep yer nose clean, mate and go under the radar. It's a bit more necessary in Thailand than in other countries.

Maybe some people do leave the country as a result, but that's not really the issue. The issue is that Thailand gives people this feeling whereas I think very few other countries do.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I met one that claimed to be the reincarnation of the Dali Llama. Then the speil about needing money started.

However, worth every baht I paid for his coffee, to hear the story.

Was that in CM ? an American guy ?

He told me that he was a reincarnation of Jesus Christ , Mohammed and the Dali Lama  and that he was here to bring peace to the world.

I just told him that my name was Max and that I'm just here for a beer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Tapster

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I have two questions. First, you said that there are a lot of "non-authentic" and "dysfunctional" people here. What I'm trying to get at is why you think that is the case? Second, if you are saying that some undesirable expat behavior is simply a reaction to unfriendly, untrustworthy behavior by Thais, (which is something I never considered before but will give a lot of thought to) wouldn't that suggest that foreigners would be rushing into the arms of other foreigners, banding together as a coping mechanism? And wouldn't that also suggest that as soon as the person who was behaving dysfunctionally in Thailand returned home their behavior would become more conventional? (something which I kind of doubt). The "informing on neighbors" comment surprised me. I haven't really experienced much of that where I live in central Thailand.

2 minutes ago, bananafish said:

The validity of Maslows theory aside, I feel I have become rather unfulfilled here in the last year. 

All the other Farang I felt I had built real friendships with have left Thailand for one reason or another over the last 8-12 months. The effort I put in to make and build those friendships just feels like something I could not be bothered doing all over again. I feel like I'm a different person now and not as interested or 'bright eyed' as I was then. That could be because all the effort of doing it previously has ended up resulting in me being in no better a position here now than had I not bothered. 

I mean I still know lots of people here, and have opportunities to become better friends with people. But the friends I had made here that became a big part of what made me content and happy to be here are all gone. 

I need to do some soul searching because I also feel I've etched myself out of a large part of the social ecosystem back home by being here so long. And I don't want to go back to that anyway, but I need to do something. 

Take up cycling and afternoon drinking.

The cycling gives you an opportunity to push yourself, a hobby to take an interest in, an opportunity to get out into your environment and view it in a different way, the afternoon drinking gives an opportunity to strike up casual acquaintances without getting heavily involved in "the bar scene".

I love it when I can give someone helpful advice from my experience.

SC

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StreetCowboy said:

Take up cycling and afternoon drinking.

The cycling gives you an opportunity to push yourself, a hobby to take an interest in, an opportunity to get out into your environment and view it in a different way, the afternoon drinking gives an opportunity to strike up casual acquaintances without getting heavily involved in "the bar scene".

I love it when I can give someone helpful advice from my experience.

SC

An outside hobby could help.

I have the afternoon drinking part down. I only go out one maybe two nights a week but there are a two particular bars where I'm known by the staff and other regulars and always meet new interesting passers through or newcomers there too. I'm not in a total mire, just a bit dejected. 

Just now, bananafish said:

An outside hobby could help.

I have the afternoon drinking part down. I only go out one maybe two nights a week but there are a two particular bars where I'm known by the staff and other regulars and always meet new interesting passers through or newcomers there too. I'm not in a total mire, just a bit dejected. 

Endorphines and Vitamin D.

And new places.

You get them all on a bike, and the adrenaline from playing in the traffic.

I generally find roundabouts are the most fun.

The hardest part of the afternoon drinking is sometimes going home before its dark, and that can be even more difficult if you have lights on your bike

SC

21 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

The part about farangs making up stories and lies about their lives is spot on.  I had never met some many hugely successful business men, record breakers, mountain climbers and millionaires before I came to Thailand.

They seem to have a need to show off in order to feel accepted in the group, where all the other guys have similar stories.. and each one tries to sound more successful than the last... with the result that the stores change and get more ridiculous over time.. which can be quiet funny.  

But now, when I meet a farang and he starts telling me how rich he is and how he had been working like James bond for the queen.. or met aliens in the Whitehouse.. I just make me excuses and leave.

Ooooh... so farangs also lie?

:shock1:

4 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Maybe it won't make much difference to you.  But it is interesting for some.  And for others it might help them not to fall into the traps that many farnags here seem to get themselves into... alcoholism, obesity, ill health due to poor lifestyle, loosing all their money, getting bitter and miserable, depression, suicide etc.

Also some people can not simply 'go home anytime' as their home has become Thailand.  People who have lived here many years may have no home, job, money, or family left back in their original country.  Also financially they may not have enough money to survive back 'home'.  

On the whole, people don't take any notice of studies unless it affects them personally.

If people did so, no one would smoke, or eat anything with sugar in it.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Was that in CM ? an American guy ?

He told me that he was a reincarnation of Jesus Christ , Mohammed and the Dali Lama  and that he was here to bring peace to the world.

I just told him that my name was Max and that I'm just here for a beer

Nah, Bkk back when Central World was called the World Trade Center. He'll probably be on his next reincarnation by now.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

On the whole, people don't take any notice of studies unless it affects them personally.

If people did so, no one would smoke, or eat anything with sugar in it.

But, you are taking notice of this study.. same as others here.

Also, you know, lots of people don't smoke, most people don't drink to alcoholic levels, and most sensible people watch their weight and what they eat... so I can't agree that 'on the whole, people don't take any notice of studies'.  

Using Maslows Hierarchy of Needs to Ascertain Why Some Expats Fail in Thailand

Couldn't it be the Expats attitude towards Thailand?

For example, if one take the majority of posts here on TV one could see 'hate' that spews out? Isn't this itself a reason for failure? Racism, holier than thou attitude...

@Gecko123

Replying below in blue..........

I have two questions. First, you said that there are a lot of "non-authentic" and "dysfunctional" people here. What I'm trying to get at is why you think that is the case?

Why are there a lot here? The reasons fit the dysfunction...............I'm going waaay out on a limb here and stress that not everyone is like this. I'm being horribly judgmental and in many cases unfair and in many cases, just plain wrong! However, there are enough in these groups to make them recognisable to many.

Whatever contributed to their becoming dysfunctional in some way, almost certainly comes from the development of their character years before, and is not mainly due to the effect of Thailand.

Aaaand..... I'm probably saying something about myself here!

*puts tin hat firmly in place*

The sun, the beaches and the sea! (In Phuket anyway)

The 24/7 holiday atmosphere and the constant availability of things to satisfy one's basic drives.

These things attract all sorts of people but commensurately, more of those looking for an easier life because of their need for superficial sources of happiness.

Every touristy, developed beach paradise, attracts more than it's fair share of slackers and dead beats. It's universal.

For some people it may be the lack of strictly-enforced laws, easily available criminal and not-so-criminal opportunities provided by a land where you can do anything as long as your behaviour doesn't attract attention, and you don't tell anyone. It's appealing to the streetwise survivor for whom there are only two kinds of people, predators and prey. Contact with them doesn't make expats more open and forthcoming.

There are men who find a life of booze and sleaze, living the dream. Are they dysfunctional? Not to all, but Thailand is a magnet for them. Does their presence make living in Thailand a more enriching experience?

Men who haven't got what they want from relationships in their own country and find the idea of a compliant wife or partner to look after them, appealing. Sooner or later they learn the power of the Thai woman but coming here in the first place may be driven by lack of fulfillment at home. People driven by forces like that, don't make for a strong, vibrant, expat community. 

I'm going off at a tangent, but the idea that in Thailand, similar to being on the Internet, you can be anyone you want to be must be appealing to some.

The exact opposite of "authentic".

Thousands of miles from home, spinning a yarn with nobody who knows the real you, to tell anyone any different.

I'm sure I will think of more judgmental sh*t as soon as I post this but you can see where I'm coming from.

The presence of a much greater percentage of 'slightly dodgy' people than in the population of an average First World town or city, makes for a less happy expat experience, for me anyway.

I got on very well in the UK and South Africa (post-apartheid) for many years, so I don't think the issue lies completely with me.

Second, if you are saying that some undesirable expat behavior is simply a reaction to unfriendly, untrustworthy behavior by Thais, (which is something I never considered before but will give a lot of thought to) wouldn't that suggest that foreigners would be rushing into the arms of other foreigners, banding together as a coping mechanism?

OK, once one learns to get the best out of Thai people, enjoying the parts that are to be enjoyed and steering clear of the darker areas, I think you can protect yourself from anything especially negative.............though it's presence is something that doesn't enhance the expat experience.

Expats have a moan about issues with Thai people, but don't band together. Why?

Maybe because dealing with Thai ways is such a daily issue that it would get very boring very quickly, like discussing the weather??

We all just have to get on with it.

And wouldn't that also suggest that as soon as the person who was behaving dysfunctionally in Thailand returned home their behavior would become more conventional? (something which I kind of doubt).

I think people have almost all brought their dysfunctions with them. A change in the view usually doesn't make your deeper problems get better or worse.

The "informing on neighbors" comment surprised me. I haven't really experienced much of that where I live in central Thailand.

It's a thing in Phuket, because of the larger numbers of the aforementioned types of people, and the larger numbers of desperate people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

You might be right.  But maybe the attitude, hate, racism, holier than thou etc, comes out as a result of their lives here.  Maybe they would not be the same if they were back in Farangland?  I don't know.  

Maybe the tolerant and 'say nothing' attitude of Thai people here, makes the bad personality traits have nothing to hold them back.  I have witnessed some farangs speaking and behaving really badly to people here.. more than I have back in the UK.  If they acted like that in the UK it would not be tolerated.  Either they would get a punch in the face in the pub, or get arrested for being a nuisance lol. 

Interesting theory, but anyone who thinks that is living in la-la land. Over the years I've developed a healthy fear of that 'radio silent' demeanor. Usually it means they're mentally already hard at work thinking about a way to get back at you. :cheesy:

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, pearciderman said:

For a "journalist" the English in the opening post is terrible. Nothing puts people off reading articles more than poor English.

Nothing puts you off reading articles more than poor English. Personally, I'll overlook the "less than perfect English" if the content interest me. No one's perfect, except maybe you :sleep:

• Like 1

In the OP title there is something about........."why some expats fail".
Nevermind Maslow, Baslow, Haslow. Too academic!

If there is one single major contributing factor for a Farang to fail in Thailand, it must be something like that:

- Hello sexy man.
- I love you for long time.
- Why you want to buy condo, have family-land for free. Etc,etc,etc.
Farangs in Thailand could lead a happy live, if they could agree on just sitting under a shade tree, guzzeling Beer-Chang and swapping old SAS, FBI, CIA stories. Next day: Rinse and repeat. No worries! The main reason for failure eliminated!

Ahhh, the bragging Farangs. "When in Rome,........" I used to claim to be an ex-admiral of the Swiss Navy, currently working as a consultant for the Thai Navy, helping them to aquire 40 submarines.:wink:
Cheers.

• Haha 1

Starting from the top and working my way down the Maslow pyramid, would like to share following additional comments:

Self-actualization needs:

One thing about living in Thailand that can frustrate self-actualization goals is that you really don't have access to the same range of continuing education and adult education classes you probably had back home. Not too many English language public libraries outside of Bangkok and Chiang Mai. If you have some specialized hobby that requires special equipment that can be a challenge here. You can order a lot of stuff over the internet, but suppose you wanted to take piano lessons or wanted to buy a pottery kiln or buy a Japanese caligraphy brush. I'm just saying there can be logistical obstacles which can make it difficult to pursue any old hobby or interest which pops into your head.

Esteem needs:

Many people have commented on how Thais don't seem to be interested in what you used to do before you moved to Thailand, but the same thing can be said about many foreigners as well. I've read that it's considered rude in some European cultures (i.e., French) to ask what somebody does/did for work. On a couple of occasions when I've told other foreigners about what I used to do or about my educational background, they've been rudely skeptical about whether I was exaggerating or not. My point is that whatever work related or social status you enjoyed back home can be completely invisible over here in Thailand. Put on a pair of jeans, don't shave for a day or two, grab a hoe to work in the garden and it's hard to tell whether you're a former Wall Street investment banker or a sanitation worker. So adjusting to these changes in social status can be a challenge.

Social needs (fulfilled with Thai people):

All the previous comments on this thread about social needs have pertained to relationships with other foreigners. But of course many social needs are fulfilled through relationships with Thais. It has been my experience that stereotypical or idealized expectations about male-male friendships or male-female friendships from the West don't usually work well here in Thailand. By stereotypical, I mean things like having the neighbors over for a backyard barbecue or having dinner parties with a circle of friends who rotate hosting one another, or going on camping trips, vacations, or trips to the beach with your neighbors and their kids, or going to a concert, sporting event, or movie with a co-worker friend and his family. I really don't see Thais doing very much of this with other Thais, even less with foreigners.

The main social interaction in a village are these large community functions around ordinations, marriages and funerals. Extended families eat together communally, but nobody's "entertaining" or throwing dinner parties. Sometimes birthday parties for kids and young adults are held. So you kind of need to adjust to the different style of socializing.

Going to the temple every week to try and fit in? I tried that at first. Sitting with my legs twisted into a pretzel or leaning forward on one haunch with my feet politely tucked behind me as the minutes slowly ticked by? Villagers seemed to be wondering what I was doing there, and pretty soon I started wondering the same thing, and after a while I stopped going.

a. Socializing between foreign males and Thai males:

My experience has been that most Thai guys can enjoy a chat with a foreigner, as long as it's not overly long. If you can make them laugh or come up with conversational material that holds their interest, they  genuinely enjoy your company. Some Thai guys find conversing with a foreigner, especially when they've been drinking, to be a draining experience. So I've noticed that the duration of conversational contact with Thai men is probably shorter on average than if you were chitchatting with fellow foreigners. The interaction is more short and sweet. More of a short pit stop, discuss a single topic, recount a specific anecdote, catch up on gossip. Thais don't seem to enjoy wide ranging, multi-topic, open-ended conversations as much as foreigners might. And that is a key adjustment foreigners need to make in terms of satisfying social needs.

School age neighbor kids are friendly, teenage boys not so much, young men in their mid 20's to mid 30's not so much unless they know me through their parents, guys in their late 40's to late 60's (my natural peer group) are probably the friendliest. Laugh it up a lot. Joke about sex, wives, talk about food, politics, current events, crime, exchange gossip and health problems and tips, that sort of thing.

b. Socializing between foreign male and Thai females (other than your girlfriend or wife):

The majority of my Thai female neighbors are married. I talk to most of them on occasion. Because of my age and demeanor I am not seen as a romantic or sexual threat by any of their husbands. Even so, I am careful (as are the women) to not be perceived as getting too flirtatous, as I can sense that some of the husbands don't 100% trust me. Laughing together is OK. Even making a sexual joke is OK. Asking for cooking, gardening tips, how the crops are coming along or why the municipal water isn't running is OK. Touching is definitely not OK. Sitting close to one another not OK. Being alone inside a house together definitely not OK. Being alone in a car together definitely not OK. My best female friend is my neighbor's wife Nii. She and her husband farm adjacent to our land. Sometimes she works alone in the field without her husband and I will to talk to her about stuff (what's she growing this year, kids, gardening, land issues). I believe that she genuinely likes me as a person. Also socialize with a large number of female vendors at fresh markets, grocery stores, other service providers. In general, I would venture to say that the way I interact with my Thai female neighbors isn't that much different than how I interacted with female neighbors and coworkers at home.

Safety and physical shelter needs:

Basically not a serious problem in Thailand with a few caveats. Road safety is a huge caveat, especially for motorcyclists. Verbal altercations can escalate into violence very quickly here and people need to be extremely cautious about getting into arguments. Obviously you need to make sure you have enough money to put a roof over your head, food in your mouth, and plan for contingencies and emergencies.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

I have a question to the OP.  Why do foreigners spend time trying to figure out why they fail here. Boredom?  I find it quite odd. I mean come on. All the reasons people fail here are likely the same reasons people back in their home country fail. In the US people fail all the time why does being an expat warrant this deep dive as to why? People self destruct the same all over the world. 

Anyway it's a strange dynamic reading these threads. I hope you figure it all out and it helps you. :smile:

@JAFO

I have contributed posts to this thread because I'm interested in what people find uniquely difficult in expat life in Thailand..............because I am finding some things uniquely difficult!

I have traveled extensively worldwide and lived in several different towns and cities in the UK, then more recently, in South Africa.

I have never failed to integrate socially or culturally. I have never failed to find a group of people with whom I share things common. I met and married my wife in South Africa.

I have always set down roots in the places I've lived, and have felt that I could stay there for ever.........until something came along to move me to the next place.

BUT...........in Thailand, after four years, I still don't feel rooted.

My wife and I went all-in and moved a 40 foot container of our stuff here. That's everything we own. We were in it for the long haul, after an exploratory visit of seven months together, and many visits to LOS for me, since 1988.

We still haven't hung all our pictures on the wall. There are still packing boxes looked through but not unpacked. Something isn't working for us here.

Whatever it is is quite subtle, but pervasive through our lives here.

Threads like this are interesting to me because I'm trying to work out if I can make things improve here, or whether we need to make another very expensive move elsewhere. I don't really want to spend that sort of money!!!

I'm truly happy for those who love Thailand and have a great life here. 

• Like 2

@Tapster

Thailand definitely presents some unique challenges for expats.You're far from alone in experiencing this. Some guys might think they've got it all figured out. Maybe they do. If so, lucky for them. But for some of them, the other shoe just hasn't dropped yet. I don't think I'll completely figure out Thailand if I stay here till I'm 100, but that's probably part of its charm.

I think the idea of using the Maslow pyramid to discuss adjustment problems was brilliant because it allows people to discuss adjustment difficulties they are experiencing in general non-threatening terms, which is something men often have difficulty doing even on anonymous internet forums.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

@ Tapster

Thanks for sharing.

We too moved a 40ft container here to Thailand and  prior to moving here built a home.  I agree there are challenges here.

With that said here is my take.

1) Location is everything as it is in our home countries.  I think many foreigners fail as they  (typicallyMen ) move to the area of the girl they met not looking at the big picture and their needs and expectations.  If you were a big city person and extremely social then move to a remote village it will likely unravel.  Fact is we are all creatures of habit and it is challenging to make that paradigm shift from  city person to country person and the issue is exasperated by not speaking Thai.  It sounds good in the beginning but as time rolls on.....

2) The premise you need to speak Thai.  I think that all depends again on where one lives.  The further one lives away from a large city the more critical speaking and understanding Thai becomes.  A great number of Thais speak good English but chose to speak Thai if they are around foreigners they do not like.

3) Lets face it. The vast majority that move here are older men. Many, as people see and read about, have mental or social issues. Expecting to move here and connect with a good group of "People" is a stretch.  I knew moving here that me connecting with like mind and similar personality folks was not likely going to happen so I have great Thai friends to socialize with.

4) I think many foreignere implode here because they can't get it aligned to what they were used to in their home country.  They fight it, try and change it, then get totally frustrated and begin lashing out(especially on forums). From that point on its a slippery slope.

5) Last but not least, many just simply pick bad partners and using poor judgment just turn over the "Keys" so to speak and it unravels.  Old lonely desperate men are easy marks for these late 20, early 30 yr old girls who have the game dialed in.

So above is one man's opinion to why. When I decided to move here with my wife we wrote it all down.  I was honest who I am and requirements I needed to adjust. Are there thingd that happen here that make me shake my head...HELL YES!! but I just let it go because honestly I have far better things I can go do versus complaining and letting it consume me.  

• Like 1

I think it is simply understanding the 'entry level', the ability and effort required to establish an identity, form relationships, in an environment that cares not a jot for your 'history'. This defines how your future in Thailand will unfold.