Chinese paper says U.S. should learn from China, restrict guns, protect rights

webfact

On 2/23/2018 at 3:26 PM, Benmart said:

An American situation best handled by American voters.

On 2/23/2018 at 6:19 PM, observer90210 said:

The Chinese statement makes sense....but then, China Presidential Campaigns are not funded by a Chinese version of the NRA !!!

Funny how such things have a way of sorting themselves in the PRC:

China sets stage for Xi to stay in office indefinitely

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-politics/china-sets-stage-for-xi-to-stay-in-office-indefinitely-idUSKCN1G906W

Think I'll still choose the US, warts and all.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Morch said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-politics/china-sets-stage-for-xi-to-stay-in-office-indefinitely-idUSKCN1G906W

They have a tendency to sort themselves out in predictable ways. Western industrialists will lobby their home governments to maintain favorable,to China and themselves, trade and business, and investment and taxation relations. No one will call it treasonous behaviour because that's who we are now. And it didn't start with Trump.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2018 at 7:36 PM, YetAnother said:

the american gun issue has been debated there since 1776; it is not one of the larger issues when considering way of life;

where would you rather live , china or usa ?

and why ?

reasoning people would , i believe, hugely prefer the latter

actually i would sooner retire in  china, south china.

i like chinese woman, and the only nympho i ever met was chinese.

there is not one compelling reason for me to retire in USA, the closest thing would be caribbean

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, car720 said:

My father, many years ago, said to me that the US  will die of decadence.

I believe that we are witnessing the end of another empire.

Trump reminds me somewhat of Nero.

Not sure about the decadence part, but I completely agree that the empire is drawing to an end. Sure, the military may remain enormous for decades to come. But, the economy will continue to wither, compared to other giants, like China, and India. So will the cultural influence, as Hollywood is going downhill fast, and the pop singers of today do not have much to contribute. America will no longer be the place to be, as it will become harder and harder to get good paying jobs, the overall quality of life there is a pale shadow of what it used to be, for all but the top 5%, and the xenophobic visa policies will continue to discourage the best and the brightest from around the world from working there. Due to an outdated quota system, the US has not attracted that group, for quite some time. Trump is accelerating the process of decline, with countless policies completely lacking in vision, wisdom, or intelligence. 

Little DT. - The art of I cannot make a deal to save my life.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Not sure about the decadence part, but I completely agree that the empire is drawing to an end. Sure, the military may remain enormous for decades to come. But, the economy will continue to wither, compared to other giants, like China, and India. So will the cultural influence, as Hollywood is going downhill fast, and the pop singers of today do not have much to contribute. America will no longer be the place to be, as it will become harder and harder to get good paying jobs, the overall quality of life there is a pale shadow of what it used to be, for all but the top 5%, and the xenophobic visa policies will continue to discourage the best and the brightest from around the world from working there. Due to an outdated quota system, the US has not attracted that group, for quite some time. Trump is accelerating the process of decline, with countless policies completely lacking in vision, wisdom, or intelligence. 

I could not have said it better.

20 hours ago, car720 said:

regardless of what the statistics may say, and anyone who has studied stats can tell you just how rubbery they are, the proof is in the pudding.  Ask anyone who lives here if he believes the people are poor.

The big city Chinese who could afford to send their only child to schools with white English teachers,

would think that everybody is just as rich as them. 

If the average Chinese were so rich,

then why do so many millions of them work 60 hours a week in factories for only 3000rmb a month ?

There are rich people in any country.  Even African countries have wealthy black citizens.

It is all about the ratio of rich to poor.  

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

The mass murderers in China use the government, because they are the government.

There are as many mass burners in China, as there are mass shooters in the USA. 

Even since the economic developments of the mid 1980s,

countless thousands of farmers have become the victims of land grapping.   

There were cases of land grapping victims setting off gasoline inside big city buses.

News is controlled by the government, I read about them in English language Taiwanese newspapers. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Morch said:

Not having to worry about getting killed whenever you step out of your house is very important, right ?
Surely, that's more important than having to tolerate the political leader being there for two decades or a bit longer ?

• Sad 1

Didn't realize how wonderful China was. I'm sold.....hahahhaa not. For the folks living great lives in China, good for you. I've yet to read about folks lining up to immigrate there. 

If you feel so unsafe in the US you must be living in some bad areas. If you feel safe anywhere walking around at 3am, I'd have to call you naïve. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Didn't realize how wonderful China was. I'm sold.....hahahhaa not. For the folks living great lives in China, good for you. I've yet to read about folks lining up to immigrate there. 

If you feel so unsafe in the US you must be living in some bad areas. If you feel safe anywhere walking around at 3am, I'd have to call you naïve. 

So, hardly anybody wants to migrate to China ?  Well, as far as I know, not many people in countries like Britain, France and Germany want to move to America. I myself have no desire to move to America, part of the reason is, is that I don't want to get killed. Actually, the mass shootings in Las Vegas and Florida dis-courage me from going on holiday to America, let alone going there for a job. And I'd much rather stay in a country like Thailand, rather than America.

And the mass shootings we have seen. The mass shootings in Las Vegas and Florida, they didn't happen in bad areas,  I don't think they happened in places that were poor or rough. And the mass shootings in America's schools, I don't think they're more likely to happen in poor and rough areas. They seem to happen in random areas.

About feeling safe. It's all relative. I feel safer walking around in Pattaya or Bangkok at night time, rather than London. I think New York and Los Angeles are just as dangerous as London. No, they're more dangerous than London.

Edited by tonbridgebrit

China doesn't want its citizens to have guns so they can't mount any armed resistance against the government oppression they endure or to be able to force any change in those ruling the country.

That said, the Chinese do have a valid point. To have human rights, you have to be able to stay alive. And sadly, far far too many Americans die from gun violence while the U.S. national government does virtually nothing to stop the ongoing drip-drip slaughters.

A sensible middle ground, a compromise approach, would be to outlaw rapid fire assault weapons, increase and really seriously enforce the vetting and background checks required to obtain guns in general, and still allow individual (non-auto) handgun ownership.

The latter element is perhaps not something I would personally prefer. But I'd offer it as part of a compromise solution recognizing the role of the 2nd Amendment in the U.S. legal heritage.

However, clearly the gun nuts aren't interested remotely in any kind of compromise, as shown by the NRA's recent stance opposing the vastly mild proposal in Florida to raise the gun purchase age from 18 to 21. It would seem, there's just no compromising with those folks.

59 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

So, hardly anybody wants to migrate to China ?  Well, as far as I know, not many people in countries like Britain, France and Germany want to move to America. I myself have no desire to move to America, part of the reason is, is that I don't want to get killed. Actually, the mass shootings in Las Vegas and Florida dis-courage me from going on holiday to America, let alone going there for a job. And I'd much rather stay in a country like Thailand, rather than America.

And the mass shootings we have seen. The mass shootings in Las Vegas and Florida, they didn't happen in bad areas,  I don't think they happened in places that were poor or rough. And the mass shootings in America's schools, I don't think they're more likely to happen in poor and rough areas. They seem to happen in random areas.

About feeling safe. It's all relative. I feel safer walking around in Pattaya or Bangkok at night time, rather than London. I think New York and Los Angeles are just as dangerous as London. No, they're more dangerous than London.

I have a little girl in Thailand and have no plans to go elsewhere. Can't disagree with anything you wrote. The US is a stressful place anymore.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

They have a tendency to sort themselves out in predictable ways. Western industrialists will lobby their home governments to maintain favorable,to China and themselves, trade and business, and investment and taxation relations. No one will call it treasonous behaviour because that's who we are now. And it didn't start with Trump.

Nice little deflection post. May want to re-read and address in the context in which it was made. Nothing to do with "Western industrialists", "treasonous behavior" etc.

4 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Not having to worry about getting killed whenever you step out of your house is very important, right ?
Surely, that's more important than having to tolerate the political leader being there for two decades or a bit longer ?

I don't recall ever being worried about getting killed stepping out of my house, when I lived in the US. Other than in your hyperbole posts, doubt that's an everyday experience for most Americans. As for the rest of your nonsense - what price freedom?

2 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

More nonsense.

Whatever you claim under "as far as I know" is meaningless and unsupported by anything much. Moreover, people not fancying up moving to the US has nothing to with making the PRC a preferable choice. Seeing as Chinese choose the US is actually more telling.

Your personal preferences are your own, not an indication of general trends. As for your your newly acquired hyperbolic paranoia, again - not a reality, other than in sensationalist headlines or specific areas. The sort of faux generalizations offered is bogus, and the reasoning, faulty.

All of your usual anti-US bs, doesn't make the PRC a first rate choice, or even a better one than the US.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2018 at 8:09 AM, car720 said:

Unfortunately not true.

I live in China and I can walk down the street at 3am in the morning without fear of molestation or mugging.  As can any woman.  The people here are genuinely friendly and hospitable.

The individual in China is much wealthier than the individual in the USA.

Can you talk about your once leader Mao like Americans can about their President's. What about freedom of press?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The economy is doing just fine .America is still feeding off of Mr. Obama's tenure. America will continue to be even greater. We brought 5 trillion dollars back from other countries .We are taking care of American's first. We will take care of our disadvantaged first before we let in other disadvantaged,come from other countries. We aren't perfect,we are recovering from 40 years of globalism gone viral 

Edited by riclag

18 minutes ago, riclag said:

Can you talk about your once leader Mao like Americans can about their President's. What about freedom of press?

Of course they have freedom of press in China -- :post-4641-1156693976: -- freedom to print and broadcast just exactly what the government tells them to print and broadcast, or face going to jail.

If I said half the things I've said about Trump of the Chinese president, I'm sure there would be a prison camp and or firing squad awaiting me... :smile:

However, the Chinese are still correct when they point out that DEAD Americans due to gun violence don't have any human rights... because they're DEAD!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Of course they have freedom of press in China -- :post-4641-1156693976: -- freedom to print and broadcast just exactly what the government tells them to print and broadcast, or face going to jail.

If I said half the things I've said about Trump of the Chinese president, I'm sure there would be a prison camp and or firing squad awaiting me... :smile:

However, the Chinese are still correct when they point out that DEAD Americans due to gun violence don't have any human rights... because they're DEAD!

You had a A+ until you mentioned the Chinese are still correct

5 hours ago, Morch said:

Nice little deflection post. May want to re-read and address in the context in which it was made. Nothing to do with "Western industrialists", "treasonous behavior" etc.

Not a deflection at all. I agreed with you and was giving insight into steps 2 and 3. Step one has been known for years.

Treasonous isn't the right word, it almost never is when you read it here. How's disloyal sound?

The big city Chinese who could afford to send their only child to schools with white English teachers,
would think that everybody is just as rich as them. 
If the average Chinese were so rich,
then why do so many millions of them work 60 hours a week in factories for only 3000rmb a month ?
There are rich people in any country.  Even African countries have wealthy black citizens.
It is all about the ratio of rich to poor.  

Ratio or not, when you've got upwards of 1.5 Billion, the number of feet pounding the pavement is large.

Sent from my F3116 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

19 hours ago, Johnnyngai said:

There are as many mass burners in China, as there are mass shooters in the USA. 

Even since the economic developments of the mid 1980s,

countless thousands of farmers have become the victims of land grapping.   

There were cases of land grapping victims setting off gasoline inside big city buses.

News is controlled by the government, I read about them in English language Taiwanese newspapers. 

Oh well then, that says it all.

8 hours ago, riclag said:

Everyone I meet is openly critical of Mao and will freely discuss politics with you without losing their cool.  Contrary to popular belief there are not secret police following you around everywhere and checking the consistency of your droppings.  The only subjects that are really taboo here are the falong gong and Taiwan but as to Taiwan, everyone here wants to take their holiday there.  I am sorry to say that in my opinion freedom of the press in any country is a myth.  It is the propaganda tool of every government and China is no exception.

9 hours ago, riclag said:

The economy is doing just fine .America is still feeding off of Mr. Obama's tenure. America will continue to be even greater. We brought 5 trillion dollars back from other countries .We are taking care of American's first. We will take care of our disadvantaged first before we let in other disadvantaged,come from other countries. We aren't perfect,we are recovering from 40 years of globalism gone viral 

Could you please explain how America is taking care of it's disadvantaged? You might want to start with the extreme homeless population in your own state. 

• Like 2

On 25/02/2018 at 12:54 PM, Morch said:

On BBC now, all done and dusted, behind closed doors,  and social media sites getting deleted as we type on here.

Looks like he's in for life now.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

Not a deflection at all. I agreed with you and was giving insight into steps 2 and 3. Step one has been known for years.

Treasonous isn't the right word, it almost never is when you read it here. How's disloyal sound?

At best, you're trying to co-opt my post to your point of view, which doesn't really have much to do with mine.