Dept of Land Transport in partnership with British Embassy Bangkok: improving driving licence procedures for foreign nationals

webfact

The sheer cheek and levels of delusion to think that the problems on the roads here are due to anything other that the BS from the locals. Again, blame someone other than yourselves...unbelievable!

...raising awareness of specific risks on the road unique to Thailand...

Well, that gets the euphemism of the day award...haha. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

Most of the road accidents involving foreigners here, British or otherwise, usually involve tourists. I can't see how improving driving licence procedures will reduce those numbers much.

In fact, the British drive on the same side of the road as Thailand, so they are probably less likely to have an accident.

Yes that is what i think also,the Brits do not have to adjust to changing lanes but most other people do.I pulled some one back who stepped directly in front of a moving car,she wanted to cross the road but looked the wrong way.

Thais are reckless at driving, but there should be no excuses for foreigners, and they should know better about the driving standards in Thailand, but it's amazing how quickly they get into the Thai way of driving.

BTW accidents do not exist in the UK, and quite often.

Edited by the guest

If the new scheme makes life easier in the formalities to get a Thai licence for all expats, well done.

As for the road casualties, speeding, driving under influence, lack of attention or driving big bikes without proper licence (thus training) may be the main factor for deaths on the roads. And these factors are under the sole responsability of the driver, should he be a Thai, a farang, an expat, a tourist or whatever....

Another golden rule for the safe drivers could be to avoid other drivers carelessness and not just force the gap even if you have the right of way.

Stay safe everybody.,

Edited by observer90210

To replace pedestrian crossings wether they be simplistic white line marking on the street or be traffic light activated, which all are  ignored with what?

Overbridges for pedestrians gives potential  for death by electrocution by most of the many PEA's wiring.

Underpasses for pedestrians would be non-navigable when the monsoons rain befalls.

Conclusion.

Survive best you can because the problems solution is greater than sum of most of us, including a defunct Foreign limited advisory service masquerading as an Embassy.

Apologies, I was replying to post 31  which thought I had quoted for context.

Edited by Paul Catton
Context
  • Like 1

Advice to 'foreigners', British or others, should be that there are basically no road rules that are adhered to. Expect the most stupid, unreasonable, irrational, unaware and selfish behavior from all other road users, pedestrians and other seemingly animate objects near any road and, if very, very lucky you may be disappointed. Any assumptions contrary to this approach will almost certainly end in tears, given time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sitanonchai said:

Shame on the English embassy in Thailand, they should have said comeback if your road fatalities are the same as in England.

Bunch of lunatics including the English embassy staff.

Now this is off the top of my head, but I seem to remember (last year?) the road deaths per capita of 100,000 population was: Thailand 35, UK 3.5.

Clap clap clap. Improving issuing licenses to poms. Meanwhile the Thais get a H/Vehicle  or car licensee if they can answer one question on their test correctly. The question being can you drive and if they say." Yes I can drive". You pass. If you say, " No" then  your brain dead and no license.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

Most of the road accidents involving foreigners here, British or otherwise, usually involve tourists. I can't see how improving driving licence procedures will reduce those numbers much.

In fact, the British drive on the same side of the road as Thailand, so they are probably less likely to have an accident.

I come from a country where they tend to drive on the right.

Also I drove many miles in England.

I must confess I prefer driving on the left.

The last 12 years I did just that in Thailand.

Edited by hansnl

27 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Never seen this in Blighty either .. Never mind the kids though Papa's got a lid on .. And there was another thread recently 'bout " safe braking '' .! The two little 'un's at the front would certainly get mashed if Pa had to hit the anchors hard ..  

IMG_20180223_095519.jpg

I have been in Thailand for many years but sights like the above still appal me. The rank and reckless stupidity - and utter callous selfishness towards one's own little children - of such behaviour is way, way beyond my brain to grasp ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

Actual "road regulations" between the two countries are predominantly similar, have no idea what "Thai uniqueness" entails.

Perhaps disregard what you are accustomed to by following strict regulation, and adopt a survivalist  approach in the unenforced mayhem that is Thailand and transportation.

On a more serious note. Any foreigner arriving for the first time holding an international licence is going to shit himself. Thai uniqueness in my mind is racing from A to B knowing that if you drive fast enough bad luck wont catch you. neither will the police if they just happen to be awake. I'm convinced that most young motorcycle drivers are thrill seekers riding high on testosterone. No helmet no fear just let it rip. When they get into their cars they just drive the same way weaving and speeding no difference. They just don't care.

My Thai wife says low education is the problem......maybe she's right 

47 minutes ago, Bob1million said:

There all Idiots best start with there own people first and foremost. Everyday is the same the mind boggles. Just another Stupid headline / media hipe.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

They're..............................................their......................................................hype.

• Sad 1

So long as you are driving the correctly sided car on the legal side of the road in a given country...it shouldn't matter. So, just to be clear, right hand drive cars for the countries that drive on the left hand side of the road and left hand drive cars for those who drive on the right hand side. You need the driver in the just off the middle side of the road really.

Edited by Sir Dude

These improvements contribute to a wider goal of tackling road safety in Thailand, with an aim to cap the rising number of foreign nationals involved in road traffic accidents.

--------------------------------

I had to react on this. I did my driving License 2 months ago. Had i been listening and following the rules which the try to teach you i would be a dead man. It sound so nice in the class, but the moment you step out of the class the reality strikes. We all know the Thai roads. Oh did i mention that in the English part of the test were mistakes? I answered right but at the end it was marked as wrong. To add to the confusion you can do a mock

on the machine outside and guess what? Wrong answer marked as correct. When i notified the Examinor he just told me he knows about it and just shrunk his shoulders. Ah those are just Farangs no need to bother about. 

Do not forget a video in Mandarin or Cantonese. Those who lives in North they know what i am talking about.

What a completely useless waste of time and effort by moron bureaucrats. It's embarrassing.

The comments by the Brit lady, and the Thai DLT guy, are so typical of civil servants "gobble-dee-gook waffle" for the media.

The only foreigners that will ever see these videos are expats attending DLT for their first licence .... maybe. These expats have usually been here a while, and are totally familiar with what's required to survive on Thai roads.

The real thrill seekers are the short term visitors who rent a scooter or car from Honest Somchai Rentals, and are let loose onto the worlds most dangerous roads. No DLT video for these poor bastards. 

How to get a Thai license is already concisely explained on so many websites, is ridiculously simple, and is one of the very few useful things we can own. We really don't need any Embassy advice about this process.

• Like 1