Health warning as rabies spreads rapidly

rooster59

2 hours ago, kickstart said:

Your local DLD office should have some rabies vaccine , Department of Livestock  Development , all provinces have one ,and it should be free .

But you will have to do the injection yourself, under the skin low down in the neck , you could ask your DLD if one of they vets can come and do it .

We have a shop that sells cattle fed and livestock drugs, thay also sell rabies  vacine .

It has to be stored in a fridge  , when I buy the vacsin  I use a small  cool box to store it in  for the jorney home .,and check the use by date .

You can do it easy self!!! Just look on youtube what you have to do!!!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dog+rabies+shot

14 hours ago, cooked said:

We have seven dogs. Can we vaccinate at home?

The wife says the local farm store sells vaccine, but it isn't stored in a fridge, I am doubtful about that..?

Yes, me and the missus did ours last week, 2 house dogs and 2 farm dogs. Vaccine came out of a fridge at the local ag/farm store.

1 hour ago, snowgard said:

Not expensive??? I got it at Banglamung Hospital Pattaya after a dog bite me. I paid around 7.500 THB for it!!!

I assume that is a hospital that caters to, and takes advantage of, foreigners.  It is probably cheaper at other hospitals.  However even at that price I'd pay for the safety and peace of mind.

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

I assume that is a hospital that caters to, and takes advantage of, foreigners.  It is probably cheaper at other hospitals.  However even at that price I'd pay for the safety and peace of mind.

Banglamung hospital is the cheapest hospital and mostly for Thais but sometimes farangs go there too

But it is not about the money for vacation I worry about it is why Thailand not take the dogs away from the streets I can sit on my balcony and see dogs running after tourists and one time I see farang died when dog running after him on his motorbike and hit a concrete pole the Thai owner said that was not his dog but the dog running out from his shop and after the accident he called the dog to him I try explaining to police what happens but they just told me to leave 

I don't like Thai dogs and my wife hate them 

Thailand need take responsibility for their dogs and it could be good idea to have license for dogs 

Just my opinion 

16 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Where we live, Kanchanaburi, it is possible to buy and administer the vaccine yourself.

Also, from time to time, local administrations offer free vaccinations of animals so worth asking at your local Orbitor if they run a similar scheme.

I've seen 2 rabied dogs in kanchanaburi it seems the norm here

27 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Until their dog comes into contact with an unvaccinated stray.  I repeat you have to have little sense to own a non-working dog in Thailand.

we get it "Mike" you're lonely

dont worry after trolling the voiceless threads of a few hundred with diseases there will be another one on the 400,000 who have the HIV virus which is far more important to humans. Cant wait to see you on that thread with the same attitude.

2 hours ago, humbug said:

we get it "Mike" you're lonely

I'm a member of a Quiz team two nights a week; a pool team once a week; I'm on my mooban committee which meets regularly; I'd like to join a dart league but am scared of Thai police; so I have plenty of human company; I don't need a dog as a substitute. 

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Until their dog comes into contact with an unvaccinated stray.  I repeat you have to have little sense to own a non-working dog in Thailand.

My dog only comes into contact with me and the missus, but even if he came into contact with an un-vaccinated dog, so what, he's protected. That's the point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I'm a member of a Quiz team two nights a week; a pool team once a week; I'm on my mooban committee which meets regularly; I'd like to join a dart league but am scared of Thai police; so I have plenty of human company; I don't need a dog as a substitute. 

A dog isn't supposed to be a substitute for a human, plenty of very sociable people have pets, they just add another layer to our well-being.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

My dog only comes into contact with me and the missus, but even if he came into contact with an un-vaccinated dog, so what, he's protected. That's the point.

You will be familiar with Toxicara canis.  It is passed on by the dogs' unsavoury habit of sniffing infected faeces & other dogs' bottoms.  Vaccination may prevent the dog becoming sick but it still leaves the parasitic worms that munch through the optic nerve of children; giving a whole new concept to the phrase Guide dogs for the Blind.

13 hours ago, heybruce said:

The high price was about my body weight. More weight more vaccine. And they needed a lot of the vaccine to inject it around the 12cm cut. The next injections days/weeks later was just a little bit in the upper arms.

But for have a longer life it's a good investment!!!  :-)

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

You will be familiar with Toxicara canis.  It is passed on by the dogs' unsavoury habit of sniffing infected faeces & other dogs' bottoms.  Vaccination may prevent the dog becoming sick but it still leaves the parasitic worms that munch through the optic nerve of children; giving a whole new concept to the phrase Guide dogs for the Blind.

Yes, it's in plague proportions I know. :saai: A <deleted>' mosquito can kill you, life is full of dangers.

Edited by giddyup

2 minutes ago, mikebell said:

My point exactly - so why invite another danger into your house?

Why get out of bed in the morning? Far safer to hide your head under the covers. Hey! Don't let your kid ride a bike or skateboard, climb a tree or indulge in any sports, they are all dangerous and potentially fatal. Don't fly, catch a bus, travel anywhere, swim, etc, etc.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

Normally I enjoy bantering with dog-owners as they are patently less intelligent than me.  Your inability to understand my answers or your going off at a non-sequential tangent, however,  is spoiling the sport.

Concentrate on the word 'INVITE' and see if you can move forward from there.

24 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Normally I enjoy bantering with dog-owners as they are patently less intelligent than me.  Your inability to understand my answers or your going off at a non-sequential tangent, however,  is spoiling the sport.

Concentrate on the word 'INVITE' and see if you can move forward from there.

You don't like dogs or fail to understand why anyone would want one as a pet, your argument that they can pass on a quite rare disease is not going to convince anyone not to own one, so why bother to persevere? Perhaps a pet rock is more to your tastes?

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2018 at 10:57 PM, mikebell said:

Yet numerous studies show that having pets provides physical and mental health benefits.

https://www.humana.com/prevention-and-care/healthy-living-and-prevention/emotional-health/pets

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160420162947.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/health-benefits/index.html

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-10-health-benefits-of-dogs-and-one-health-risk_us_57dad1b8e4b04a1497b2f5a0

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, heybruce said:

You mean those that are trained and well looked after and kept free of diseases or the vast numbers of packs of untrained territorial often viscious disease riden dogs that roam unfetted across the whole of thailand? Maybe you want to give one of the later to an elderly woman or sick child?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, giddyup said:

Why get out of bed in the morning? Far safer to hide your head under the covers. Hey! Don't let your kid ride a bike or skateboard, climb a tree or indulge in any sports, they are all dangerous and potentially fatal. Don't fly, catch a bus, travel anywhere, swim, etc, etc.

Thats some kinda strawman youre building...when you going to set it alight?

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:01 PM, snowgard said:

Not expensive??? I got it at Banglamung Hospital Pattaya after a dog bite me. I paid around 7.500 THB for it!!!

You got seriously ripped off!!!

I paid a few hundred baht at my local government hospital for my anti rabies jabs after a dog bit me.  I also get my regular vaccinations for tetanus, etc for about one hundred baht each.  

2 minutes ago, kaorop said:

You mean those that are trained and well looked after and kept free of diseases or the vast numbers of packs of untrained territorial often viscious disease riden dogs that roam unfetted across the whole of thailand? Maybe you want to give one of the later to an elderly woman or sick child?

I was responding to a poster who made it clear that he hates all dogs and thinks only fools keep them as pets. 

Yes, dog owners should be responsible and keep their pets healthy, socialized, current on all vaccinations, spayer/neutered and out of trouble.

4 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

You got seriously ripped off!!!

I paid a few hundred baht at my local government hospital for my anti rabies jabs after a dog bit me.  I also get my regular vaccinations for tetanus, etc for about one hundred baht each.  

Can be!!! I don't know!!! But I am still alive and .... this is more important!!!

5 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I was responding to a poster who made it clear that he hates all dogs and thinks only fools keep them as pets. 

Yes, dog owners should be responsible and keep their pets healthy, socialized, current on all vaccinations, spayer/neutered and out of trouble.

Sorry my bad..

How many zeros do we add on this.   .0   before we get to the percentage of that type of owner here? Id say the expat amount would rival the locals... another sad thing is (after the intial 'rush' and childs delight) many of the kept behind the gate well fed, health cared dogs are no.more than "bark at anything alarms." Never walked never played with..

6 hours ago, heybruce said:

Agreed.  I am just questioning having dogs in your home whilst living in Thailand whilst there is a possibility of rabies from all the soi dogs.

20 hours ago, giddyup said:

You don't like dogs or fail to understand why anyone would want one as a pet, your argument that they can pass on a quite rare disease is not going to convince anyone not to own one, so why bother to persevere? Perhaps a pet rock is more to your tastes?

It seems so long ago now but the original article dealt with rabies; '

RABIES has spread rapidly, albeit silently, in many provinces of Thailand, with 271 confirmed cases of infection in animals nationwide as of yesterday – just 55 days into the New Year.

This number already surpasses the total number of rabies cases in the entire year of 2014.'

This 'quite rare disease' is multiplying annually.  I accept I can't convince some doting dog-lovers not to take these disease carriers into their homes but I live in hope that somewhere out there there's a dog-owner with a modicum of sense.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

It seems so long ago now but the original article dealt with rabies; '

RABIES has spread rapidly, albeit silently, in many provinces of Thailand, with 271 confirmed cases of infection in animals nationwide as of yesterday – just 55 days into the New Year.

This number already surpasses the total number of rabies cases in the entire year of 2014.'

This 'quite rare disease' is multiplying annually.  I accept I can't convince some doting dog-lovers not to take these disease carriers into their homes but I live in hope that somewhere out there there's a dog-owner with a modicum of sense.

I was responding to this 'quite rare disease' that you mentioned as a reason to not own a dog.. You will be familiar with Toxicara canis.  It is passed on by the dogs' unsavoury habit of sniffing infected faeces & other dogs' bottoms.  Vaccination may prevent the dog becoming sick but it still leaves the parasitic worms that munch through the optic nerve of children; giving a whole new concept to the phrase Guide dogs for the Blind.

• Like 1