PM Prayut satisfied with Thailand’s improvement in graft index

webfact

Thai PM satisfied with Thailand’s improvement in graft index

PNPOL610225001000301.jpg

BANGKOK, 26 February 2018 (NNT) – Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has lauded Thailand’s improved ranking in the Corruption Perceptions Index 2017. 

Announced by the global civil society organization leading the fight against corruption known as Transparency International, the Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) 2017 placed Thailand at number 96 out of 180 countries surveyed. Last year, the country was ranked 101st. 

Conveying the prime minister’s message, Government Spokesperson Lt Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd said today the improved ranking reflects the government’s continued efforts to fight graft. 

Despite the progress, he said there is still plenty of room to improve, and the government will carry on its commitment to eradicate corrupt practices in Thai society. 

The CPI, which ranks 180 countries and territories by their perceived levels of public sector corruption according to experts and businesspeople, uses a scale of 0 to 100, where 0 is highly corrupt and 100 is very clean. Thailand scored 37 this year, up from 35 last year.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-02-26

Just now, GarryP said:

So why are people up country complaining about business being poor - market traders, shop owners, etc. The economy may be doing well but it is not being passed on to Mr. or Ms. Average Thai.

its so funny to red this on a farang (mostly living on pension from homeland) forum where no voice of any "Mr. or Ms. Average Thai" can be heard...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I've said this before, but can't help repeating it. The graph that usually goes with this, but so conveniently omitted, is the progress over time.
The embarrassing data is that the best improvement happened 1996-2006, the time during at least under Thai standards, democratic rule

From that time on, and I haven't and can't be bothered to do the math, under a combination of military junta's, civilian administrations under threat of coup's, it's pretty much a flat line.

Generalisimo, can spin all he likes, but to use the old newsroom adage, 'why let the facts get in the way of a good story'

Thai Corruption.jpg

Funny to see the rise in corruption to new heights under Thaksin rule 2001 to 2006 and that it went down a bit (but never to its original lower points) after he was disposed of. 

No idea how to read the rest of the graph as they seem to have changed how they measure parameters after 2011.. is 37 really a 3.5 ... or not. 

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matt96 said:

its so funny to red this on a farang (mostly living on pension from homeland) forum where no voice of any "Mr. or Ms. Average Thai" can be heard...

Lived here 36 years and still working. I am now a Thai citizen.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matt96 said:

transparency international is not an independent organization at all. it works in benefits of in masters (the best friend of Thailand George Soros etc). their "studies" is the weapon to defame and topple independent government who refuse to obey globalist mafia.

when Taksin was in power -they did not have any questions to him. why? because he obeyed them well: gave green light to US corporations and invested Thai people's money in US economy.

So the most corrupt is Transparency International, in fact, the USA itself?

Edited by Tchooptip

6 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

So the most corrupt is Transparency International, in fact, the USA itself?

i did not say this. I just say that all "studies" of transparency international is biased in benefit of it's masters.

so it's not a valuable proof of corruption at all.  but it's a proof that Thai government does not act according to American interests. which is a wonderful news for all Thais.

Edited by Matt96

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Never claimed to be a Mr. Average Thai.  That is simply you  making assumptions about me.  I do, however,  speak the language and speak to Thai people. I am not in any foreign enclave nor associate only with foreigners. Far from it in fact. I personally know market traders and shop owners. I know people who are looking for employment and finding it difficult, etc. 

People do not care if infrastructure is improving, if they are having difficulty putting food on the table and making ends meet.  Is the country developing? Yes, it is, there is no denying it. But, many are not seeing any improvement in their lives, far from it in fact.     

So your saying (not denying it) that the rise in GDP is caused by the infrastructure projects alone and the rest of the economy is actually getting worse (or not improving). Its quite possible as I have no idea how much money is involved in those projects so it could just be those projects influencing the GDP. 

That would mean bad things for whoever is next in goverment as you can't keep on fueling GDP growth with infrastructure projects and when they fall away the GDP goes down and the debt to GDP goes up (been quite nice staying in the same range for a while). Because if GDP goes down the ratio goes up plus that the infrastructure is of course paid with loans so the real loan amount went up but it did not show much as the GDP went up too. 

Will have to wait and see how things turn out. 

Just now, peperobi said:

Dear PM Gen. Prayut,

The CPI get all the information from you and your minister, right? Is so easy to pass the fake information. True is, in Thailand even in the small villages is the corruption very high!

I think your mistaken how the CPI gets their information, you should read up. They collect it from other sources.

22 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I personally know market traders and shop owners. I know people who are looking for employment and finding it difficult, etc. 

i live here quite long. and remember how the same market sellers were whining about the life during Taksin rule.

personal experiences is not an evidence of anything

• Haha 1