Phuket Airport Runway 09 closed for repairs

webfact

The runway and taxiway closure will affect a total of 66 flights and the Airport has reported to the Department of Civil Aviation to change the slots

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

Thailand-Aerial-view-of-Phuket-Internati

Runway 09 at the Phuket International Airport was closed today, February 26, and will be closed again tomorrow from 2 am – 7am for fixing cracks in the runway surface.

There are small cracks in an are covering 9 square metres while there is another 84 square metres area between the runway and the taxiway that requires repair attention. PIA officials say that the cracks are a result of the increased traffic during the tourism high season and the recent surge during Chinese New Year. They say the runway needs to be closed urgently as a general precaution although they believe that the cracks never were seen as an immediate danger to aircraft operations at the airport.

The runway and taxiway closure will affect a total of 66 flights and the Airport has reported to the Department of Civil Aviation to change the slots and issued a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) about the repair operations to rearrange the traffic flow.

Full story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/phuket-airport-runway-09-closed-repairs

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2018-02-26

18 minutes ago, webfact said:

Does this mean that the planes can still land from the west? Or should the title be that Phuket airports only runway 09/27 is closed for repairs?

2 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Does this mean that the planes can still land from the west? Or should the title be that Phuket airports only runway 09/27 is closed for repairs?

You beat me by 2 seconds:

Arriving/departing flights are advised to use runway 27 instead?

11 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

It is time to build that parallel runway, as this is one busy airport, and is getting busier. Just use some of the fees collected from the airlines, and quit pocketing all of it.

Geezer

Where?

6 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Look at the picture and see the swamp beside the present runway. there or one along the beach 90 degrees from the present one. Have you been to Phuket? I have and I will say it took long enough to get through the crowds.

Geezer

Before you make a bigger fool of yourself, you should check a topographical map of the area and then work out where a parallel runway could go.

And, asking long term residents, some of whom live quite close to the airport, if they've been to Phuket, is even more foolish.

• Like 1

I have flown into Phuket a few times, also rode to the airport on a motorbike. and yes the road to the airport would have to be relocated, and the runways may be a bit close together. or the ground near the beach would have to be  strengthened if a 90 degree runway were to be built along the beach. Did I say the project would be easy, or cheap. No I did not! So if you are accusing me of saying a croc, well, thats your opinion, and I have my own.  Plus if they have to buy some of the land near the airport, well that happens all over the world when an airport tries to expand.

Geezer