R I P Mitchell "Mike" Barosh

ramrod711

Mike Barosh born February 9 1928- died very recently at 90 years of age. He was involved in a motor vehicle accident near Chiang Dao more than one month ago. He was moved to Nakornping hospital and has been mostly non responsive ever since. He is survived by his two daughters who came to stay with him after the accident. Mike was a regular at Kad Suan Kaew for many years, had a piano at the music studio where he practiced nearly every day. He ate at various food courts and restaurants with friends most days. Mike told me that he was in the Pacific at the end of WW2, grew up in Los Angeles where his father owned a truck stop and Mike later moved to Hawaii. He was also a pilot and had an ultralight aircraft at Chiang Mai airport years ago. I know him mainly from the Orchid hotel gym where he was a member for at least 10 years. His funeral will take place tomorrow, 1:30 PM February 27 2018 at Mckean rehabilitation center and hospitals. Sorry for the short notice but I only found out today.

• 3 weeks later...

Mike was a great guy,  well traveled and a veteran of WW2. i loved his stories that he had to tell.  he was also a pilot and loved music being an avid piano player who started learning at the young age of 78. loved surfing as well having lived in Hawaii.  

Aloha old friend

Mikes funeral at Mckean was a simple affair, about a dozen people including his daughters. Most had a story or two to tell and other peoples memories freshened some of mine. As previously stated Mike was in the Pacific at the end of WW2, someone mentioned that he had run away from home at 17 years of age and had been stationed at Wake Island. I remembered then and was able to pass on some of his stories from that time. His daughters had their own stories to tell, it must have been difficult for them to not have family friends to help. He has gone the way we all will and I for one miss the cranky old guy.

If  you had a choice: live to 100 years with last 6 yrs in old folks home, bedridden, tube fed, incontinent, oxygen tank mask and only the telly clicker to keep you company...or

lights out on the street corner after 90 good and eventful years.

I know what i would choose. 

1 hour ago, chingmai331 said:

If  you had a choice: live to 100 years with last 6 yrs in old folks home, bedridden, tube fed, incontinent, oxygen tank mask and only the telly clicker to keep you company...or

its a  nice   R.I.P.thread, bringing the attention of a well known expat passing away and  burial details etc   How could you be so morbid and post the above

1 hour ago, chingmai331 said:

Wrong thread chap....5150.gif.02b0ca192848c16508142e8c15d38831.gif

11 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

I can only tell you that Mike left our gym when he was 86. He was a former gymnast and gymnastics teacher. At 86 Mike could pull himself up on the chin up bar, jackknife his body and touch the ceiling with his feet. I used to joke with him that I would like to be in the shape that he was in when I was his age, then I would say that I wasn't in that kind of shape now, and I wasn't kidding. Mike didn't have physical problems he was experiencing some dementia. He was so independent for so long that nobody wanted to try to get him into a facility. We probably should have, but I didn't want to be the one.

Archived