Retirement Visa

Since the new government has made several changes in laws, I was wondering if anyone could provide a concise outline as to retirement visa laws now, or if any changes have taken place. Could someone provide the cost of the application, the amount of funds required to be put in the bank (I've read that you have to have 800,000b in a Thai bank for 3 months...but is that for an intial application), and any other important information. Basically, if someone could type out a walkt hrough from the begining retirement visa process all the way to the end of the process, I'd appreciate it, and hope that's not too much to ask?

Sincerely,

Tom

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the new government has made several changes in laws, I was wondering if anyone could provide a concise outline as to retirement visa laws now, or if any changes have taken place. Could someone provide the cost of the application, the amount of funds required to be put in the bank (I've read that you have to have 800,000b in a Thai bank for 3 months...but is that for an intial application), and any other important information. Basically, if someone could type out a walkt hrough from the begining retirement visa process all the way to the end of the process, I'd appreciate it, and hope that's not too much to ask?

Sincerely,

Tom

The initial retirement visa must be issued in your home country but subsequent extensions can be made here in Thailand. The new rule as of last month is that the minimum of 800,000 baht must be on deposit in a Thai bank three months prior to the application and also for subsequent extensions. Cost of the initial visa varies by country and in the UK I believe it is now about 75 GBP. Renewals are 1,900 baht in Thailand. No need now for a health certification to go with the application but still need a letter from the law eforcement angency in your country stating you have no criminal record.

Start with 90 day Non Immigrant O.

When more than 2 months have passed on the 90 day visa go back to your local Thai Immigration with

Passport + photo(max 2).

Passport photocopies of main pages (data page,visa page,TMpage,etc.)

Letter from Bank stating 800,000+ (which has been in place more than 3 months).

Completed form.

1,900 fee.

That's it, very straightforward. In Pattaya takes about 30 mins max.

No difference between initial and subsequent renewals, same fee, paperwork etc.

Naka.

Edited by naka

1. There are two ways to obtain long stay (retirement) extensions. One is to apply for a non immigrant O-A visa in home country which is subject to Embassy/Consulate requirements. The second method is to extend your stay once in Thailand be meeting Immigration requirements here. For Embassy procedure you need to review the requirements as set forth in your home country website of the Royal Thai Embassy or contact them. Basic is police report/money/medical but money is in your home country bank.

2. For extensions of stay in Thailand you require 800k that has been in bank account 3 months, or proof of 65k per month income (with a letter from your Embassy/supporting paperwork) or a combination of the two. You should have have a bank passbook/copies, bank letter of account balance, 4x6cm photo taken within six months, filled out TM.7 form (download or do in office) and 1,900 baht for fee.

3. The only change relative to this type if visa extension is that if using money in bank it must have a 3 month record for new applicants. Also it is much easier to convert non immigrant visas inside Thailand so starting with a tourist visa only requires an extra 2,000 step in the process and has become routine (but should be done with at least 21 days remaining on permitted to stay stamp (although exceptions can usually be made down to 15 days).

A couple of problems with that. Unless you're married to a Thai, Embassy and MFA Consulates are loath to issue a Non Imm O for the purpose of travelling to Thailand with the intent to apply for extension based on retirement. (Some Honorary Consulates will, however, stretch the point and issue such visas).

Then, even if you can get a Non Imm O, if you need to use a bank account (vice certified proof of monthly income), you'll need to have a multi-entry Non Imm O to get around the 90 day in-bank requirement.

So, as Lopburi points out, getting a tourist visa, then converting to a Non Imm O in-country, seems to work out just fine: no hassle trying to get a Non Imm O abroad; time to set-up a 90-day bank account with the required 800k (if going that route); and actually saving some money compared to paying for a multi-entry Non Imm O ($25 for tourist visa, plus 2000 bt to convert to Nom Imm; multi-entry costs $125).

The tourist-to-Non Imm visa route really seems attractive these days. Even more so, the 30 day stamp to Non Imm O route (if viable at all Immigration Offices, which has yet to be solidified from what I can gather.........)

I'm sorry. While reading the replies to my inquire, I realized I have forgotten to put down my country of origin. My wife is a citizen of Australia and I'm a citizen of the U.S. I've looked at the Thai Embassy sites and just wasn't sure if the staff have updated their site as changes take place. It seems pretty straight forward for the retirement visa. We have bounced around between Thailand and the Philippines for retirement and always come back to Thailand and feel that the changes that have taken place does not affect retirees as much as other types of visa holders. With the 800,000b, do you actually need that in the bank or will they still take a letter confirming that you have a minimum of 65,000b monthly income in place of the 800,000b?

Sincerely,

Tom

65k pension/income as certified by Embassy letter and with paperwork to support that letter (pension slips/tax records or such). You will probably also have to have a local bank account and provide passbook/copies and bank letter of deposit balance as that is a general requirement. The amount in the account should not be material except it match the letter.

65k pension/income as certified by Embassy letter and with paperwork to support that letter (pension slips/tax records or such). You will probably also have to have a local bank account and provide passbook/copies and bank letter of deposit balance as that is a general requirement. The amount in the account should not be material except it match the letter.

Two questions I have is. I have enough cash in a thai bank. But the total amount was deposited around November 22. My renewel date is about February 6th. Does immigration stick to the 3 month rule in the bank or give a couple weeks close to it? Also would my notorized statement form the U.S. Embassy from last year work again this year?

Edited by Larryst

If you are already on an extension of stay the 3 month rule is not being applied yet (as many are not yet aware of it). If a new application it is strictly applied.

There was talk that new letter might be required each year but have not seen anything definitive and expect your letter will be accepted and if new policy is not to do so you will be told to obtain new next time.

• 5 weeks later...

When more than 2 months have passed on the 90 day visa go back to your local Thai Immigration with

Passport + photo(max 2).

Completed form.

1,900 fee.

Letter from Bank stating 800,000+ (which has been in place more than 3 months). Does the letter from the bank need to dated the same day you go to the immagration Office?

A Thai bank said they can provide the letter but it would take a week and be sent from Bangkok - the date on the letter would be 7 days old by the time I get at home.

"Does the letter from the bank need to dated the same day you go to the immagration Office?"

not the same day but not older than a week. last year my renewal was done although the letter was about two weeks old.

another requirement is that the balance in the bank book should match the balance stated in the letter. i had that problem too last year (as i did not update for several months) but it was solved by my agent.

Passport + photo(max 2).

Completed form.

1,900 fee.

Letter from Bank stating 800,000+ (which has been in place more than 3 months). Does the letter from the bank need to dated the same day you go to the immagration Office?

A Thai bank said they can provide the letter but it would take a week and be sent from Bangkok - the date on the letter would be 7 days old by the time I get at home.

I got that reply from my bank too (1 week for the letter as it has to come all the way from Bangkok)

1. generaly the banks have got an overnight service between their up country branches and Head Office in Bangkok. which menas that it is more like 2-3 days than 1 week but they want to cover themselves....

As far as immigration is concerned, Up coountry Immigration offices are well aware of the time it takes to get the letter and 1 to 2 weeks old letter should be fine. Be aware that the copies and the original book balance should match the amount stated on the letter so do not update your book in between if you use your ATM or other bankong operations.

You should also be aware that the letter does not have to come from Bangkok. The local bank branch can type up the form and the manager sign it while you wait. But bank customer service being what it is they may not offer that without prodding.

another requirement is that the balance in the bank book should match the balance stated in the letter. i had that problem too last year (as i did not update for several months) but it was solved by my agent.

A colleague of mine had a problem with such an occurrence two years ago. The bank had transposed two of the figures in the letter and it therefore did not match his passbook. He had to return to the bank to have the letter retyped correctly, even though the difference was only around Bht 13.00.

I would suggest that it is important to closely check the contents of the letter before you leave the bank.

I started a similar thread last week on retirement visa, but seems logical to add to this one since we now have an exclusive "retirement visa" thread going.

My husband and I (British citizens, over 50 and only home in Singapore) have just been to the Thai Embassy in Singapore this morning to ask if we can apply for the non immigrant O visa there. Unfortunately, we cannot as they say our current Employment Passes must be given up first. (Our business has not finished yet. We will retire later this year.)

Lopburi3 suggested on previous thread (and others on this thread) that you can take the Tourist Visa route then convert to non immigrant O visa when we are in Thailand. We note regarding the 800k to be deposited for 3 months before that. Some more questions:

1. We hope to relocate to Phuket. Can the Phuket Immigration Office issue non immigrant O visas or will we have to go to Bangkok?

2. At what stage do we need a permanent address in Thailand? Will we need an address in Thailand before we apply for the non immigrant O visas? Can we use a P.O. Box Number in Thailand? Obviously we would like to find accommodation after we have got permission to stay.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

1. They can convert a tourist visa to a non immigrant type by application and payment of 2,000 baht and proof of meeting a criteria for extension of stay.

2. You never need a permanent address. You report your address every 90 days while on extensions of stay and you need to report your current address when you fill out forms but that can be a hotel or other venue.

One other thing - Thai Embassy in Singapore said that 800k baht (or equivalent in other currency) does not need to be transferred to Thailand. Sponsor Sunbelt's website seems to suggest the same thing. Is this correct that you no longer need to open a Thai bank account?

You will not obtain an extension of stay inside Thailand without either the 800k/65k or combination being in Thailand. The Embassy is talking about an Embassy issued non immigrant O-A visa where you apply for a one year stay in home country and requires a medical/police check and money in that country. If that is indeed what you intend to get the money will not have to be in Thailand until you extend your stay at an Immigration office inside Thailand (next year).

Sorry I'm no help, because all I can say is; Thai immigration authorities don't have a consistantly administered policy - so pinning them down, is like trying to hit a bat with a slingshot. They're in a quandary and we're in a quagmire.

I'm drifting in the same sort of boat as you. good luck to us both,

Sincerely,

Tom

You will not obtain an extension of stay inside Thailand without either the 800k/65k or combination being in Thailand. The Embassy is talking about an Embassy issued non immigrant O-A visa where you apply for a one year stay in home country and requires a medical/police check and money in that country. If that is indeed what you intend to get the money will not have to be in Thailand until you extend your stay at an Immigration office inside Thailand (next year).

An interesting thought just came into my head just now (i DO get them from time to time :D )

Karen51 and husband are 2 falangs, and i assume each with a passport, and each seeking retirement visas. Would EACH of them need to produce the 800k/65k per month or combo thereof? :o

Penkoprod

If they both want retirement extensions of stay they will both have to qualify. But if they have a legal marriage only one has to qualify and the spouse can use a dependent extension so only one deposit/income would be required in that case.

When you have obtained your first year non immigrant O visa (retirement), are there any restrictions on travelling outside Thailand i.e. can you go in and out of Thailand as many times as you like during the year? As we have a property to sell in Singapore, I can imagine we will be travelling back and forth (reluctantly) to sort things out, if it's not sold by the time we move.

Also, do you have to spend a minimum amount of days in Thailand during that year?

When you have obtained your first year non immigrant O visa (retirement), are there any restrictions on travelling outside Thailand i.e. can you go in and out of Thailand as many times as you like during the year? As we have a property to sell in Singapore, I can imagine we will be travelling back and forth (reluctantly) to sort things out, if it's not sold by the time we move.
After you get the extension of stay permit, you get a multi entry permit as well. Come and go as you please.
Also, do you have to spend a minimum amount of days in Thailand during that year?

no

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

3. The only change relative to this type if visa extension is that if using money in bank it must have a 3 month record for new applicants.

If it's a combination of the two does that partial amount in cash still have to be in the bank for 3 months, or is that just for the 800K?

Also it is much easier to convert non immigrant visas inside Thailand so starting with a tourist visa only

So a tourist visa that gives you 2 months can then be converted into a Non Imm for a total of how many months stay? Thanks.

If it's a combination of the two does that partial amount in cash still have to be in the bank for 3 months, or is that just for the 800K?
Depends on the Immigration Dept officer. You will find some are flexible on this combination
So a tourist visa that gives you 2 months can then be converted into a Non Imm for a total of how many months stay? Thanks.

90 day visa. However, on the same day you can get the one year extension after you have changed your toursist visa, if you are using the pension method or the money has been in the bank for 90 days.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

• 2 weeks later...

To follow up on an earlier comment on retirement 'visa' applications (Lopburi3 ), how much must be in your bank account if you have the letter showing a B65,000 pm pension?

Somewhere I've seen you need B300,000, but I can't confirm this. Is some sort of regular transfer in from overseas needed?

I've been out the country for 8 months, so my account has been inactive (with B360,000 in it) for that period.