Retirement Visa

I applied for a Non-Immigrant Visa O Multipule Journey in Australia and it was issued on 17th July 2006. I was due to do my first visa run in October 2006. I went to Jomtien Immigration prior to my date for visa run and was issued with a Retirement Visa valid until 20th July 2007. My income was based on 65,000 baht requirement. I have to leave Thailand (7th April 2007) and return to Australia for family reasons and hope to be back in 3-6 months. If I am back before the 20 July 2007 then all I have to do is apply for an extension of stay. My question is what happens when I decide to come back after this date :o:D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I applied for a Non-Immigrant Visa O Multipule Journey in Australia and it was issued on 17th July 2006. I was due to do my first visa run in October 2006. I went to Jomtien Immigration prior to my date for visa run and was issued with a Retirement Visa valid until 20th July 2007. My income was based on 65,000 baht requirement. I have to leave Thailand (7th April 2007) and return to Australia for family reasons and hope to be back in 3-6 months. If I am back before the 20 July 2007 then all I have to do is apply for an extension of stay. My question is what happens when I decide to come back after this date :o:D

You will need to obtain a new visa.

Obtain single entry "O" in OZ (I doubt if it would be a problem as you were granted a multi "O" before - explain the situation). Extend to I year retirement in Thailand.

Or get Tourist visa in OZ and convert to O visa in Thailand then extend to 1 year.

I also read in this forum it is possible to enter as tourist without visa and obtain O retirement visa in Thailand (I think Sunbelt confirmed this) - I wouldn't risk being refused.

I recently returned to UK at short notice with the intention of obtaining a re-entry stamp for my retirement extension at BKK. I was not prepared for the traffic congestion and had no time. I went to a UK consulate (not Hull) and explained the situation and they gave me a single entry O visa - in and out in 10mins. Their attitude was "no problem." I will have to extend to one year shortly.

First you must have a re-entry permit prior to leaving Thailand for there to be anything to save. If you leave without a re-entry permit your extension of stay is immediately invalid. The cost for a single re-entry permit is 1,000 baht and photos. I advise doing that without time pressure (now) so there is no chance of last minute glitch.

If all fails and you can not return by the date required or you don't have a re-entry permit you will have to go through the same procedure as you previously did in order to extend your stay, and if you enter without a non immigrant visa there will be an extra 2,000 baht step involved.

Or, of course, the other option: get an O-A visa while home in Australia.

Granted, it requires a criminal record check and medical exam (do you think they'll every synch the requirements within country with oveseas and ditch those two?), but it is an option and with planning can be used to cover a two-year period.