Retirement Visa

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are using the pension 65k method you should not have any bank deposit requirement. Although in the past people have been asked to show an account and bank letter from most reports there has never been any set amount required. From recent reports this may not be a requirement any more (until I fail to have probably).

jitagon

Can not answer your question as don't know what you are asking. You have used past and future in what appears to be the same question.

If you use 800k deposit method you will need both passbook and bank letter. It may not be required to have a three month history however as many are not yet aware of the new rule.

I haven't been able to trace an answer to these questions - which I think I asked on other threads.

Should the bank letter state explicitly that the 800k was remitted from overseas?

In subsequent years if there is 800k+ in the bank (for over 3 months), should the bank again state the above? In other words can I get away with simply topping up as necessary at each annual renewal?

(I hope the latter because frankly it's simpler, quicker and cheaper to draw cash from atms (on my england bank) and then deposit it in my thai bank, than to send registered post swift transfer instructions to england & follow up by telephone.)

jitagon

Can not answer your question as don't know what you are asking. You have used past and future in what appears to be the same question.

If you use 800k deposit method you will need both passbook and bank letter. It may not be required to have a three month history however as many are not yet aware of the new rule.

Simply put, must you show 800K in your bank account EVERY year?

Edited by jitagon

You must show 800k every year and that 800k will have had to be in the account for 3 months prior to application for extension of stay.

Okay, before the "goalposts moved" which I believe happened in Oct. of 2006 I thought I had the proper method to make sure my retirement extension was granted. I was going to transfer in an average of 70K baht (roughly) each month to my Thai bank account. I was going to get a letter from my bank showing the date and amount of each xfer. Also, the letter would show the total which would be more than 800,000 baht. Further, I was going to have photocopies of my bankbook showing the "code" that confirms the money came from a foreign bank account.

My current extension expires on Sept. 19, 2007. Does this mean I'm okay if my total deposits starting a year prior to Sept. 19, 2007 and ending on June 19, 2007 have totaled at least 800,000?

Call me confused. :o

Also, this "top up to 800K" method is confusing. Does that mean for example if I have 100,000 baht in the Thai account I can add 700,000 baht 3 months prior to the extension date and I'm okay? Does the 800,000 baht still have to be in the account on the day I apply for the extension or can I withdraw some of it?

Being in the system you may not be required to meet the full letter of the law this year but the rule is/will be 800k or more in the account for the entire three months prior to application with no going below 800k during that 3 month period.

Being in the system you may not be required to meet the full letter of the law this year but the rule is/will be 800k or more in the account for the entire three months prior to application with no going below 800k during that 3 month period.

Okay thanks for the quick reply. Now I understand the 800K/3 month stuff.

Am I right in thinking there are now 2 ways to meet the income requirement; the 800K/3 month deposit OR the monthly deposits that must total 800K for the previous year?

There is no monthly deposit option. The requirement is 800k in bank, 65k pension or combination.

The requirement BEFORE the new rules was 65k pension letter which I provided; just to be told the letter is not enough you must show/prove the foreign transfers of 65k into the Thai bank.

Is Immigration now accepting the letter itself as proof of income? They don't want to see actual deposits into the Thai account?

They have never required anything else. Perhaps you had an officer, as sometimes happens, who had his own ideas of what the rules should be.

In the past they did normally require that you have a bank account but the balance/activity was never given as more than a 'suggestion'. From recent reports they may not even be checked anymore if the pension is above the required amount.

Anyone with recent experience one way or the other?

They have never required anything else. Perhaps you had an officer, as sometimes happens, who had his own ideas of what the rules should be.

In the past they did normally require that you have a bank account but the balance/activity was never given as more than a 'suggestion'. From recent reports they may not even be checked anymore if the pension is above the required amount.

Wow this really surprises me. Every single person I know (or talked to) in Udon Thani who is on a retirement visa tells me they must prove the money was actually transferred into their Thai bank account. I really hope they are getting lax on this as it's a hassle to transfer the money, get the bank letters, etc. I prefer to just live mainly off the ATM when I need cash.

Firstly, I haven;t read the entire thread so apologies if this info only repeats someone's else's experience. I'm a British citizen 50+ sufficient pension to meet the 65K a month and arrived on a 30 day tourist visa on 11th December. I now live in Chiang Mai and got my retirement extension today.

Step one: Opening a bank account

1. After some difficulty, opened a bank account (Kassikorn Bank, Moonmuang Rd: only passport required, very, very helpful and set up with account and ATM card within 20 minutes. Bangkok Bank at Central will open an account for you but require a local to complete a form which I think just says that you're staying longer than a tourist would).

Step two: January 17th - Changing tourist visa to Non Immigrant O

2. Get Letter from Consulate - they just needed a letter from my accountant, a couple of bank statements and a copy of my last tax return (not a requirement but it seemed an easy way to prove my income). I would ensure that the address on this letter will be the same one as when you apply for the actual extension 60 days later. Faxed copies of all these documents proved acceptable. There doesn't seem to be a requirement for this to be dated the same as or even very close to the date of application but I'd say stay within a week or two to be safe.

3. Deposited some cash in the bank. Due to time constraints I just put in 40,000 bht by using my credit card (twice) and had the bank do the cash advance - this way they could at least know that the money came in from overseas although no-one ever asked at this stage. Paying off the card balance online the day it appeared on the account saved paying any costs and strangely it took over two weeks before I had to do that. Free money!

The bank gave me a letter verifying the account balance. Cost 100 bht. This must be dated the same day as you apply for the change of visa.

4. Completed form TM47 - downloading it (link somewhere on this site) and typing in the information made it look nice and neat! Remember to print it out using both sides of a single sheet if you do this.

Took: Bank Letter - original

Copy of Embassy Letter - endorsed by me

Form TM47 with photo

Copy of bank book front page where your name is and page showing balance - endorsed by me

Copy of main page of passport - endorsed by me

Copy of passport page(s) with entry stamp, visa and anything to do with your most recent entry to Thailand - each page endorsed.

1900 Bht - They appreciate the correct change.

Chiang Mai Immigration were very helpful, issued me with a new 90 day Non-Immigrant O and told me to return in 60 days with another copy of the same Embassy Letter, a new bank letter, form TM7 plus copies of the new visa pages in my passport. Today I returned: here's the checklist of what I took

Step three: March 16th (today) Getting the Retirement Extension

Bank Letter showing today's balance - original

Copy of original Embassy Letter - endorsed by me

Form TM7 with photo

Copy of bank book front page where your name is and page showing balance - endorsed by me

Copy of main page of passport - endorsed by me

Copy of passport page(s) with entry stamp, visa and anything to do with your most recent entry to Thailand - each page endorsed.

1900 Bht - They appreciate the correct change

Despite the newish leaflet they are handing out, you do not need a medical certificate (I think that may be for residency?).

They were quite busy but I was in and out within an hour and a half. By the way, if you're going to endorse (just a signiture in a lower corner) the photocopies before you present them, it's a good idea to do it with a blue pen to make it really obvious that it's not just part of the copy - they handed mine back and I had to point out that they'd already been done.

I can now stay until December 11th 2007 subject the reporting rules (every 90 days) and will get a multiple re-entry permit to cover my trips abroad.

Other places may vary but this was not as intimidating as I was expecting and the information I got from others on this site really helped. I hope this helps anyone in the same boat.

Thanks for the report - this is the first time I have heard that immigration required the bank letter to be the same day - normally the only requirement is that it is current (within a week) and that it match your passbook amount and recent reports that it has not even been required for those that meet the 65k requirement.

You did not have a tourist visa (which would have required a TM.86 to change but had a non visa entry so you required a TM.87 form to obtain the 90 day non immigrant visa. The TM.47 will be your next experience (90 day address reporting).

Actually, I did have a tourist visa, so I think I must have quoted the wrong form number - thanks for pointing that out.

As far as the bank letter goes, I have the feeling that it was the bank (assistant manager) who told me that immigration like to have it dated the same day you submit the application so it may be that she's wrong on that point or perhaps it's simply here in Chiang Mai they like to do it that way. I would have thought that a few days before the application date would be OK but on the other hand it's one less possible issue that could gum up the works so if you can do it, why not?

Greenside,

Thanks for the report. It is most helpfull.

Can you tell me how long it took the Consulate (I suppose it is the UK Consulate in CM) to issue you with the income letter, was it the same day you applied ?

Actually, I did have a tourist visa, so I think I must have quoted the wrong form number - thanks for pointing that out.

As far as the bank letter goes, I have the feeling that it was the bank (assistant manager) who told me that immigration like to have it dated the same day you submit the application so it may be that she's wrong on that point or perhaps it's simply here in Chiang Mai they like to do it that way. I would have thought that a few days before the application date would be OK but on the other hand it's one less possible issue that could gum up the works so if you can do it, why not?

Firstly, I haven;t read the entire thread so apologies if this info only repeats someone's else's experience. I'm a British citizen 50+ sufficient pension to meet the 65K a month and arrived on a 30 day tourist visa on 11th December.

If your above quote is correct you were not here on a tourist visa; as a person from the UK receives a 60 day

tourist visa entry, not 30 days. But what counts in the end is that all went well and you received the long stay extension.

Lopburi, I stand corrected. It was indeed a 60 day tourist visa and I came in from Lao - getting in the frame of mind to be an officially retired person is obviously affecting my memory! Method acting, I think they'd call it.....

Krub, It took the Consulate 24 hours to process the letter and there's a fee of about 1800 bht if my failing memory serves me well.

If one is extending one's A visa on the basis of having 65,000 baht pension money each month, does the money need to be in a Thai bank account. Mine is paid into my offshore bank account, which I draw on via ATM or money transfers to Thai banks as I need it.

• 2 weeks later...

I went Monday. I was here on a 60 day Tourist Visa.

First went to US Embassy, filled out form they supplied stating pension income above B65k. Paid $30 to have it notarized.

Went to Immigration office on soi Suan Plu(?). Went to room 303 to change tourist visa to O visa. Filled out form provided, gave them passport/w copies of all relevant pages. 4x6 photo.

copie of Income doc and B2000. got "O" visa

Down to info desk got queue # waited in room 101. gave them filled out form T7 they provided, passport/w copies of all revelant pages (including new one just done upstairs) 4x6 photo, original notarized income statement from embassy, and B1900. Got 1 year extension.

Back to info desk new queue # for window 7, gave them fillied in form they provided, passport /w copies of all relevant pages, 4x6 photo, and B3800. Got mutiple entry permit.

I had a letter from pension provider available.

J

Apologies in advance if my situation and the question I want to raise have already been dealt with before, but a] I haven't been able to find a definitive answer by searching previous posts and b] I'm conscious that things have been changing subtlely since late 2006.

I'm a UK citizen aged 56 and currently living in Chiang Mai with a 1-year multi-entry non-Imm B which will expire in August 2007 (in practice, November 2007 - with the final 90-day stamp acquired before the B visa expires). I've pretty much decided that the O-A retirement visa route will be more appropriate when the time comes later this year to set up for my continued stay here. On balance, I prefer to make the visa switch in Thailand, rather than have to return to the UK to apply for the O/O-A through the Hull consulate.

If possible, I would prefer to avoid the 800,000 for 3-months in a Thai account route - I have the funds to do it but prefer to continue getting 5% UK interest rather than nothing/negligible interest available to me in a Thai account. But - I am not receiving a UK pension and won't for another 9 years. I am receiving rental income from my UK property which is way more than 65,000 baht per month. Even if I sold it, the deposit income from the selling price would still be comfortably more than 65,000 baht per month.

Question: Can that rental (and, possibly, later UK deposit) income qualify as the equivalent of a pension - assuming I can show accountant's letter and bank statements (+ agent's rental contracts etc) and get the UK consulate/embassy to notarise the relevant documents?

I would also appreciate any comments on other factors that I should be looking out for. Many thanks.

Apologies in advance if my situation and the question I want to raise have already been dealt with before, but a] I haven't been able to find a definitive answer by searching previous posts and b] I'm conscious that things have been changing subtlely since late 2006.

I'm a UK citizen aged 56 and currently living in Chiang Mai with a 1-year multi-entry non-Imm B which will expire in August 2007 (in practice, November 2007 - with the final 90-day stamp acquired before the B visa expires). I've pretty much decided that the O-A retirement visa route will be more appropriate when the time comes later this year to set up for my continued stay here. On balance, I prefer to make the visa switch in Thailand, rather than have to return to the UK to apply for the O/O-A through the Hull consulate.

If possible, I would prefer to avoid the 800,000 for 3-months in a Thai account route - I have the funds to do it but prefer to continue getting 5% UK interest rather than nothing/negligible interest available to me in a Thai account. But - I am not receiving a UK pension and won't for another 9 years. I am receiving rental income from my UK property which is way more than 65,000 baht per month. Even if I sold it, the deposit income from the selling price would still be comfortably more than 65,000 baht per month.

Question: Can that rental (and, possibly, later UK deposit) income qualify as the equivalent of a pension - assuming I can show accountant's letter and bank statements (+ agent's rental contracts etc) and get the UK consulate/embassy to notarise the relevant documents?

I would also appreciate any comments on other factors that I should be looking out for. Many thanks.

Bump.

(surely I'm not the only 50+ who receives non-pension rental/investment income and would like to use it as the basis for O-A extension?)

And as has been said so many times you have to convince your Embassy first that you have income and have them issue a letter to that effect. Normally Immigration will accept whatever your Embassy will accept but there is no hard and fast rule.

FYI: O-A is what you obtain from your home country to retire in Thailand and provides a one year permitted to stay stamp on entry; but you seem to be talking about extending your current stay which will not be an O-A extension.

I went Monday. I was here on a 60 day Tourist Visa.

First went to US Embassy, filled out form they supplied stating pension income above B65k. Paid $30 to have it notarized.

Went to Immigration office on soi Suan Plu(?). Went to room 303 to change tourist visa to O visa. Filled out form provided, gave them passport/w copies of all relevant pages. 4x6 photo.

copie of Income doc and B2000. got "O" visa

Down to info desk got queue # waited in room 101. gave them filled out form T7 they provided, passport/w copies of all revelant pages (including new one just done upstairs) 4x6 photo, original notarized income statement from embassy, and B1900. Got 1 year extension.

Back to info desk new queue # for window 7, gave them fillied in form they provided, passport /w copies of all relevant pages, 4x6 photo, and B3800. Got mutiple entry permit.

I had a letter from pension provider available.

I am impressed. Procedures have changed. Previously after applying to change visa type you would have been told to return on a future date to have your passport stamped with the new visa.

Since the new government has made several changes in laws, I was wondering if anyone could provide a concise outline as to retirement visa laws now, or if any changes have taken place. Could someone provide the cost of the application, the amount of funds required to be put in the bank (I've read that you have to have 800,000b in a Thai bank for 3 months...but is that for an intial application), and any other important information. Basically, if someone could type out a walkt hrough from the begining retirement visa process all the way to the end of the process, I'd appreciate it, and hope that's not too much to ask?

Sincerely,

Tom

The initial retirement visa must be issued in your home country but subsequent extensions can be made here in Thailand. The new rule as of last month is that the minimum of 800,000 baht must be on deposit in a Thai bank three months prior to the application and also for subsequent extensions. Cost of the initial visa varies by country and in the UK I believe it is now about 75 GBP. Renewals are 1,900 baht in Thailand. No need now for a health certification to go with the application but still need a letter from the law eforcement angency in your country stating you have no criminal record.

Interesting, now my question is, how do you get the money in a Thai bank account, if they won't let you have a bank account. See numerous other posts!!!! Regards, BD