VIDEO: American soldier attacked by gang of Thai men in Pattaya

webfact

This video has been on most of the Thai national news stations tonight and they have been reporting that the watch sellers instigated it. From my experience here when US soldiers are involved in an incident the thai military puts pressure on police to make arrests. I would expect in a day or two we will see a follow up with the watch sellers apologizing to cameras from the police station.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ttrd said:

Well, when it comes to the thai crowd mentality part my experience has a different and positive twist. I was driving from Pattaya towards Trat and on the way I got a flat tire. No need to ask anyone as it came Thais from all corners that wanted to give a hand ended up with that they fixed everything with a smile and for no charge so their crowd mentality is not only negative - when it comes to the racist/coward part my experience is that they are not different from us westerner with a mix of all types of individuals....:coffee1:

Yes...TT. There are for sure good and bad in every society. Perhaps my post should have read "some Thais are....etc". This especially in the hot spots for tourists.

But the young Thais, in particular, always seem to take great pleasure in ganging up and beating up foreigners who are in a dispute with a Thai. Despite not having a clue what it is about.

However, I have never, ever witnessed any gang of westerners joining in and picking on, say, an Asian in a dispute with a westerner. In fact, I would say westerners, in Ireland anyway, would stand up for the foreigner.

Just now, harleyclarkey said:

Yes...TT. There are for sure good and bad in every society. Perhaps my post should have read "some Thais are....etc". This especially in the hot spots for tourists.

But the young Thais, in particular, always seem to take great pleasure in ganging up and beating up foreigners who are in a dispute with a Thai. Despite not having a clue what it is about.

However, I have never, ever witnessed any gang of westerners joining in and picking on, say, an Asian in a dispute with a westerner. In fact, I would say westerners, in Ireland anyway, would stand up for the foreigner.

i'd say it's not really about foreigners mate. you seen a gang of college kids gang up on some poor guy from a different college. no mercy

i'll give an example as why not otherwise it's all none sense right. years ago i was waiting for a bus and it was really crowded. victory monument. i must have been only 21. this kid comes running through and i mean fast like he looked like he was running from something bad. white shirts, black trousers. college kids. and right behind him were about five kids all with kitchen knives i'd say not machetes. everyone moves out of the way and you think the kids going to get away but tripped up going from the pavement to the road. ahh. they were knifing and kicking the hell out of him. it's no foreign thing. that's none sense. or thais hate foreigners . that's all BS in my opinion. it's just the way the fights go here. i never really knew if that kid lived. doubt it very much

12 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

So, 3-5 Thai jump an American, because he wouldn't buy one of their fake watches, and half a dozen other farang just sit on their bar stools and watch.  Pathetic all the way around.

Gotta love these fellas who constantly scream about Thais needing a group before they all 'go in ' , then admonish the farang  onlookers for not all going in ... its an English larger lout thing and they just cant see past it ...

16 hours ago, Trojan 27 said:

Tonail. 

That's the fake watch salesman. The American is already standing 50 meters away. Thai is bleeding..lol

I've been accosted by that fake watch salesman in LK Metro....he is a total <deleted> up....i looked at his watches one night for all of five minutes and didn't buy....he started cursing me in Thai...a bar girl told me he say many bad things about me and I should be aware of when he is around...I hope his nose is broken

17 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

In my experience it's best not to get involved here, add to that the fact that the guy walked away.

Discretion is the better part of valour.

I would wait until it is nearly finished then get involved!

11 hours ago, ttrd said:

They are not bought because People are stupid, BUT because they are NOT genuin...:coffee1:

I've bought a few Breitlings from registered dealers here. both genuine.

Probably lots of people who buy fake gold Rolex's don't realise that a real one costs around US$25,000. (a very rich old friend of mine has 3, the last one he bought cost the thick-end of 1 million Baht).

Just now, SpicyMeatball said:

The American soldier, if he is a Marine fresh off an “exercise”, is gonna kick some serious axx before any Thai will land a “fair” blow.

Kudos & HU-AHH to the American!

How childish.

You do not know someones skills.

Lots of these small Thais can fight.

Your thinking can get a person killed in this country.

good old BIB looks like he would be better off counting brown envelope than  getting involved in minor scuffle, on another note why he not arrest fake watch seller, no permit to sell,  sell fake watches,, where's Prawit when you need him?

14 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I've bought a few Breitlings from registered dealers here. both genuine.

Probably lots of people who buy fake gold Rolex's don't realise that a real one costs around US$25,000. (a very rich old friend of mine has 3, the last one he bought cost the thick-end of 1 million Baht).

I agree to that, but the discussion was about the street vendors and from them you cant expect to get genuin ones hence my post...;)...

13 hours ago, ttrd said:

So what to expect, that the trained soldier who is not only trained in martial art but as well trained to NOT use it in civil arenas should have killed the seller...??...:coffee1:

What I was hoping to expect, which you missed and it doesn't matter if he was Brit, etc.. did you or anyone else have any evidence from the story or video it was a American or that they were from the military?  Watch the one segment where the foreigner defend or strikes back " well trained " does that look like "well trained" to you. Maybe in your world but in mines that is "Bitch Slapping"  not well trained!

Over 201 great, intelligent, expert posts all for an incident due to a purchase of a watch! In which part of this planet do individuals seeking to buy a Rolex, Omega or for that matter a genuine Casio approach  a vendor at the roadside?

:coffee1: 

21 hours ago, sahibji said:

as long there is no suitable enforcement these cowardly acts will go on. wild dogs can only hunt in packs.

Exactly not seen many police arounf soi 7 and soi 8 and also in front of the beer bars as i almost got into a fight with an american who was aggressive to me for no reason and there was no police in sight , same as walking street down the far end its dark and ladyboys etc desperate for money surrounded a guy and started trying to get money out of his pocket no police anywhere around this was at 3am discos are open till 5am down there sometimes 

18 hours ago, poanoi said:

how to deal with street vendors 101: they dont exist, ignore them,

dont look at them, do not talk to them, dont stop,

at most shake your head while still not look at them

I agree the best way to get rid of then is walk faster, they are too lazy to keep up

23 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

any goose should know a watches for sale from a street walker gotta be fake.

whats the point to make a fuss about it?

just no thanks or mai ow krap work for me 10 years and no trouble.

i dont believe these tough guy ego maniac miliatary heros can have any brains if they feel a need to mouth off at a down and out street vendor

Always best to say nothing, when I am approached by a watch seller or anything seller, I just act as if he isn't there and walk on. If you say anything, he may misunderstand you and take offense.

23 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"...because he wouldn't buy one of their fake watches...".

You really think that is all there was to it?  Really?  Why should the others get involved in the fracas?  Pity you weren't around to sort them all out, eh?

That's why I say just keep walking and say nothing.

23 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

I agree with you and it is fashion to have your head shaved

It is also the fashion for facial hair, it used to be that people with ugly faces nearly always grew facial hair, now you even see handsome guys like me with facial hair, people who follow fashion are sheep.

Now back on topic, shaving your head is fine if you are bald, or even just a little bald on top, but I just cannot see anyone with a full head of hair shaving it all off apart from religious reasons.

Archived