Arsenal

MiG16

I think for NON-southern fans, we still like the League Cup as it's another chance to get to Wembley - we all still like to go down to see the streets paved in gold, the Queen's ouse and Wemberley, Wemberley...

Don't let em fool you BB. The southerners still like it until they get knocked out, then it miraculously becomes just a meaningless cup for blooding the kids.

• Like 1

I think for NON-southern fans, we still like the League Cup as it's another chance to get to Wembley - we all still like to go down to see the streets paved in gold, the Queen's ouse and Wemberley, Wemberley...

Don't let em fool you BB. The southerners still like it until they get knocked out, then it miraculously becomes just a meaningless cup for blooding the kids.

That was a strong team that both Chelsea and Arsenal put out last night.

To be fair to Wenger, he did used to put a lot of kids into the team on League Cup nights. That has changed recently. Dont know whether thats because he wants to try and win the cup that he has never won, or Arsenals youth system isnt doimng much. Especially when Wenger said last night that none of his kids were good enough to play at the level of a Championship team!!ohmy.png

Can't say i particulary liked wenger arguably blaming the.debutants for the result with 'they weren't ready to play in games like this ' well matey that's your job to know who is and who isnt ready so if your looking at a 'blame game', best look a little nearer home.

If he didn't think they were ready why did he select them?

No issues with the reasons but coming out in public and critising and effectively blaming the YOUNG PLAYERS Nah no need. Not that Im in favor of it but There were enuf full internationals that didn't step Up and if anyone was to held out they should have been. until then i was lookin at him thinking now that's the way to handle defeat ...then he came out with that..still fuc sight better than the way the chavs manager handles a loss.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit

I hope you've all got your poppies....

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will be one of the famous voices heard over the transport network on London Poppy Day.

The Gunners boss and a host of other famous voices will encourage commuters to donate to The Royal British Legions Poppy Appeal on 29 October. Other celebrities include Chelsea captain John Terry, Spurs striker Harry Kane, Brian Blessed, Danny Dyer, Jo Brand, Trevor Nelson and Ian Lavender.

Wenger, whose side were beaten 3-0 by Sheffield Wednesday in the League Cup fourth round on Wednesday night, will be heard across Arsenal, Finsbury Park, Highbury & Islington, Holloway Road, Caledonian Road and Tottenham Hale.

In what has now become an annual tradition, two Circle line Tube trains will be wrapped in the poppy livery, as well as nine London buses. All London Underground, London Overground and DLR trains will also have poppies on the front and back of every train.

Kings Cross, Canary Wharf, Tottenham Court Road, Liverpool Street, Westminster and Waterloo Tube stations will also be dressed in the poppy design in support of the appeal. Poplar station on the DLR will also be partially branded in the famous poppies.

London Poppy Day is part of the national Poppy Appeal that aims to raise as much money as possible in a single day to support the whole Armed Forces community.

Err ... I'm a northener and I never said that Arsenal fans generally share my disdain for that competition.

I think we have always fielded a second string team with 3 or 4 first teamers in the early rounds. Yes in the later stages we have put more strength out.

Of course against Spurs in the lst round it was mostly first teamers - doesn't matter what the competition is, it's Spurs and no-one wants a loss

and so they should care, the selfish arsoles that say 'ahh it interferes with our program, should remember where football develops;

the schools, the lower leagues the Sunday am games, and the funding from this competition is what v much helps keep that going..

Edited by rijit

and so they should care, the selfish arsoles that say 'ahh it interferes with our program, should remember where football develops;

the schools, the lower leagues the Sunday am games, and the funding from this competition is what v much helps keep that going..

That's what the FA cup is for. We don't need 2 knockout competitions. If you want to go back to tradition then maybe you don't recall that this Milk Cup is only 30 ish years old (have not bothered to Wiki it to be precise). For 100 years plus the FA did not see the need to expose larger clubs to smaller clubs in the interest of development of the game. The FA does it for money anyway.

It's all just my opinion. Others may like the thing but not many put there money where there mouth is. Attendances are poor and it seems the FA can't even sell the games to a broad TV audience. Big teams don't exactly throw the matches but they don't try very hard either*. Too many people in football are being dishonest about their true feelings on the worth of this thing.

This is a general post - not specific to Arsenal, but I didn't create a new thread

*You think the Championship teams are so great that they can regularly knock out top Prem teams on the basis of skill alone?

until the dimwitted kind hearts allowed the jackels 2 hijack the crown jewels and turn it into the self serving monster that is now the prem it helped feed the rest of the ENGLISH football world and now financially it does as little as it can. It'll sooner cover trains i n bangkok with bullshit adverts than spend money on English football world So yeah its needed and that's it's worth. Fuc the prem, its self serving clubs and its fans note not football fans,,, prem fans. And there is a difference .

Edited by rijit

That's what the FA cup is for. We don't need 2 knockout competitions. If you want to go back to tradition then maybe you don't recall that this Milk Cup is only 30 ish years old (have not bothered to Wiki it to be precise). For 100 years plus the FA did not see the need to expose larger clubs to smaller clubs in the interest of development of the game. The FA does it for money anyway.

You do understand why it's called the "League" cup, don't you Santi?

gigglem.gif

You do understand why it's called the "League" cup, don't you Santi?

gigglem.gif

Try doubling that figure and you'd be closer! As far as I'm concerned it gives the 'Big clubs' a chance to blood youngsters in a competitive environment, and the smaller clubs, a realistic chance of getting to Wembley. All good for methumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Heavy legged and the ref is doing nothing about a succession of fouls from behind. We'll be lucky to get anything out of this if it continues.

Campbell a disappointment again so far.

Cheese with your whine? rolleyes.gif

Just an observation.

But it didn't continue.

Ollie with a great header, and then our former keeper loses a battle for the ball with his former teammate who taps it in.

Two nilllllllllllll to the Arsenal Two nilllllllllllllll to the Arsenal.

Come on Smokes, join in, you know the tune.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Chicog

Heavy legged and the ref is doing nothing about a succession of fouls from behind. We'll be lucky to get anything out of this if it continues.

Campbell a disappointment again so far.

Cheese with your whine? rolleyes.gif

Just an observation.

But it didn't continue.

Ollie with a great header, and then our former keeper loses a battle for the ball with his former teammate who taps it in.

Two nilllllllllllll to the Arsenal Two nilllllllllllllll to the Arsenal.

Come on Smokes, join in, you know the tune.

thumbsup.gif

Fark off Chics. :D

Only saw the first half as we were hosting a bunch of falang to a party, the remainders of whom wanted to watch the Rugby World Cup. After that first half I was more than happy happy to switch over!

Surprised and delighted the performance turned round when I woke up. Got up early to try to find the replay and of course CTH scheduling online is f*****. Nov 1 not even selectable. Flicked thru' the Stadium channels to alight on the Wenger post-match interview. Dang - missed that particular rerun and it's gonna be a pain checking the channels every 45 minutes to discover the second half.

Traditionally tricky fixture for us negotiated. Man U dropping 2 (and Chelsea cheesy.gif) losing - good weekend! Let's have Mouron out today just to complete the festival.

Edit: Sky just quoting sources - no chance Mo going in short order; actually maybe that's a good thing

Edited by SantiSuk

tongue.png

Yeah - not a foul by Kos and possibly even a foul on Kos - but to use that well hacked phrase "I've seen them given". Nice of Friend to disregard the usual over-protection of goalies (particularly playing-at-home) approach.

Still a flaphandski, good sale by Arsene a couple of years back - for both him and us.

Montero must be the best left wing man in the Prem (unless you regard Alexis as such - he's more an inside left). He mostly tore Bellerin up in the first 30 but was then bossed until he left the pitch. Not enough stamina to keep up with the kid, but luckily his early dominance which drove Swansea's early dominance (that plus a good showing from baldy in midfield - not a hair-ist, for obvious reasons if you met me, but his name escapes me!) failed to get them goals.

Dunno whether it's 10, 15 or 20 points Cech is saving us this season but I seem to count one or two goal-saves a game that I would not expect from his predecessors. Gomis was through in acres of space then seemed to stop and say ahh $hit - it's Cech!

If Arsene doesn't (by repute) do hair-dryer, I'd like to be a FOTW to see what he does do!

Edited by SantiSuk

Bellerin injured. Interestingly, although Debuchy is in the squad, Wenger has added Reine-Adelaide to the squad.

Which is a sign that he may prefer his pace over Debuchy's experience, esp. as Debuchy has played like a lamp post in his last two appearances.

We shall see.

BM targeted More al last time to no great effect. They will get a lot more joy targeting a depleted right with the junior and Campbell. It's curtains for Debuchy if Arsene has that little confidence in him. As u say we shall see

It will be h_llish difficult to get anything out of Bayern tonight even though I seem to recall we won there (or was it a draw) about 3 years ago, but I seem to recall the result didn't matter to Bayern.

If we are to qualify I suspect we have to avoid a drubbing at Bayern, beat Dynamo Zagreb at home and win well at Olympiacos -that is perhaps shaping up to be a fiery final game. I'm assuming that Olympiacos will win at home to Dynamo, thus securing their 3 wins. A draw between Zagreb and Olympiacos tonight would be as important to us as getting a draw ourselves. An unlikely win by Dynamo would be almost as useful as winning ourselves in Munich.

Top spot is pretty much out of the question, so whatever happens there's at least a 50% chance of getting Real, Barca or Man City in the first knock-out. Anything but the Europa League please

It will be h_llish difficult to get anything out of Bayern tonight even though I seem to recall we won there (or was it a draw) about 3 years ago, but I seem to recall the result didn't matter to Bayern.

Actually it was knockout and we went out on away goals having lost 3-1 at home, even though we won 2-0 at theirs.

I'd settle for that score tonight!

2-0. Looks like a very difficult night ahead without Bellerin and Kos! Important we keep the goal count down, but looking like a drubbing atm.

Edited by SantiSuk