Arsenal

MiG16

Shameful that Wenger has to come up with excuses like "as you see, we are a little low on confidence now". Face it guv'nor, you have managed a sub-par team (in terms of competitive at the top end of the table and in Europe) poorly for  most of this season.

Shame when the fans have to take some comfort in repeated defeat because it reinforces the immediacy of the need for change.

Shame that a once-great manager cannot see how his present stubbornness is destroying the memory of his legacy (and ruining his semi-retirement - doubt he will now get a seat of any relevance upstairs and his punditry-status for French TV becomes questionable)

The fact that it may well take a few seasons to rebuild under new leadership to get back to top 4 status is no excuse for trying to kick that decision into the long grass.

How you fans of other teams must be praying for good results for Arsenal and a Europa Cup trophy win. The latter is the only thing that will give the club another year of same-old-same-old. Could well be that the kind of night one would now predict for Arsenal in Milan on Thursday (who can score a goal?) will be the final nail, although I doubt you will see the board doing anything as ungentlemanly as firing him until a mutual agreement is reached at the season's end

On 5/5/2012 at 8:48 PM, SantiSuk said:

Dumped out of the Champions league by poor refereeing?

I dont think so. Cr@p management = poor motivation. Whatever happens Wenger must go!

Why did I persevere for 6 years and more? I'm not even a diehard!

{this was the approximate time when we last heard from fred-founding member Miggsy, who some of you might remember fondly - I never met her m'self}

Found this ... thought it had been posted several days ago.

and now to this mornings comment:

Well I never expected ..... There's life in the old dog yet!

5-1 in aggregate is an eye-popping score, though Milan have been dreadful over the 2 legs.

Wilshere justifying his England recall-up. Welbeck back on form and ran the show (in a rather Italianate manner) both legs. Defence largely glitch-free. Ozil still a bag of variety and sat down on substitution with a look that recognised he aint gonna make it into the Germany WC squad.

No Ramsey for the rest of the season (minor op next week per press) and Koscielney went off injured early on - still don't see us getting the back door entry trophy, but COYG!

Don't want Athletico Madrid next round please!

Forgot to mention "the dive". Was watching the game in Witherspoons in Pats. ACM fan sat nearby - he was pained throughout the first half by his team's performance, delighted by his left back's tremendous strike to put ACM right back into the tie and histrionic in only the way Italians can do when Welbeck went down under the gentlest of touches a minute or so later. 

Don't think he spoke English, so when he looked at me in pleading anguish I mimed the dive with my hands and waved an imaginary card. I don't think it helped much but it got a weak smile!

Appalling officiating by the assistant who seemed to persuade the otherwise skeptical referee. Yellow card not a successful penalty should have been the reward. Well red really, but I don't think we'll ever get that far in football.

PS - first posting meant to attribute Italianate Totti-esque midfield command to wilshere, not welbeck: 5 am not a good time to proof read!

Edited by SantiSuk

On 08/03/2018 at 11:59 PM, SantiSuk said:

Why did I persevere for 6 years and more? I'm not even a diehard!

{this was the approximate time when we last heard from fred-founding member Miggsy, who some of you might remember fondly - I never met her m'self}

I saw Migsy the other week funnily enough Santi. She is well but still suffering from the same affliction as you lol.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

One of those "oh here we go - defensive collapse" moments, but not converted into a frustrating performance as Arsenal's midfield and wingbacks overrun CSKA Moscow in the first half. I'd have taken 4-1 as a final result, so let's hope the Gunners only add to it in the second half. We have a much better bench than they do to at least keep that lead.

35 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

One of those "oh here we go - defensive collapse" moments, but not converted into a frustrating performance as Arsenal's midfield and wingbacks overrun CSKA Moscow in the first half. I'd have taken 4-1 as a final result, so let's hope the Gunners only add to it in the second half. We have a much better bench than they do to at least keep that lead.

Defo make the semis on that result......riding high Santi!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yep - better than expected generally these days. Must be heavy odds on an Athletico v Gunners final. Looked like some missed matches for Mikytharian (playing better than Sanchez for the team:smile:, but that's not a hugely difficult hurdle on the Chilean's form over the last 4 months) and maybe Lacazette.

Found that bit waiting unfinished in my drafts when I checked in to maon about another disappointing away performance in the Prem this calendar.

Mind you, re today, seems to be almost inevitable that teams coming back from places like Moscow on a Friday struggle to get points a couple of days later. Hardly surprising also when you consider there was not one recognised CAM on the park for Arsenal - no Wilshere, Ozil or Ramsey and no,  Xhaka is not creative:saai:. Can't remember Arsenal playing that way before.

Here come Burnley up our arsenal! Am I worried, do I look worried. Nah - not winning the Europa and being outboxed by plucky Burnley would surely be a final nail in someone's coffin? If we struck lucky and won the Europa - no more than 35% likely, even at this stage (remembering my Stats A-Ievel that taught me that a 50% chance in each of two legs is a combined chance of 25% overall)  doubt any fan would harp about a lowly 7th, rather than an equally lowly (for a team with such a rich vein in prior decades) 6th.

Tired as Arsenal - must quaff that Leo in the fridge and go to bed!

The last bit of my last posting was post the Toon loss and was a reflection on it - "mind you re today" was a rather heavy clue?:smile:

We were cr"p but no particular surprise.

Edited by SantiSuk