Arsenal

MiG16

One nil up playing against ten men after ten minutes, then concede a late goal through poor inept defending.  You don't knock out Athletico Madrid like that.  Arsenal not out of course but with Simeone's rigid, narrow, highly disciplined defense and the worry of a quick Greizeman/ Costa break its a bit of a mountain to climb.

Yet again, Wenger scant disregard for his defense and the obvious new blood needed last summer return to haunt Arsenal.  

If ever there was an explanation of why his time is up it was last night.  

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, carmine said:

One nil up playing against ten men after ten minutes, then concede a late goal through poor inept defending.  You don't knock out Athletico Madrid like that.  Arsenal not out of course but with Simeone's rigid, narrow, highly disciplined defense and the worry of a quick Greizeman/ Costa break its a bit of a mountain to climb.

Yet again, Wenger scant disregard for his defense and the obvious new blood needed last summer return to haunt Arsenal.  

If ever there was an explanation of why his time is up it was last night.  

I thought it was a very poor performance by arsenal,they dominated the first half but nobody knew how to score.

or was it a good performance by A.T.M.with a man down shortly after the start they pulled down the shutters and left arsenal to find they key,yes they scored 1,but atm.done better.to be honest I cant see simeone let this slip,hope I am wrong.

2 minutes ago, meatboy said:

I thought it was a very poor performance by arsenal,they dominated the first half but nobody knew how to score.

or was it a good performance by A.T.M.with a man down shortly after the start they pulled down the shutters and left arsenal to find they key,yes they scored 1,but atm.done better.to be honest I cant see simeone let this slip,hope I am wrong.

Well Chelsea went there and got a result but the circumstances were very different and Arsenal have nothing like the discipline that Chelsea possess.

On hols in UK/Europe. Family sucking the oxygen out of my footy watching and my tight schedule found me driving the girls from Cambridge to Luton while the game was on. No surprise we couldn't raise the game enough and will soon have been out of the big boys league for 2 years running. 10% chance of miracle game at their gaff! 

11 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

There is no way that Arsenal side is going to Atletico and getting a result. Sums up the last couple of years that performance. 

Stranger things have happened. Like how the hell did Wenger survive the last 22 years.

21 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

There is no way that Arsenal side is going to Atletico and getting a result. Sums up the last couple of years that performance. 

In many ways that performance mirrored the Wenger era of recent years.  Purely on a footballing point.....oh no can't do it, was going to say i have some sympathy for Arsenal fans, but i just can't.

I wish you many years in the doldrums and you all can stick your St Totteringham's day jibes right up your rear ends.

13 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Buvac to manage Arsenal, sly dog

BBob on the red phone with Edin Dzeko.:shock1:

That would be a shocker.

I'd go with Viera, but I doubt the American owner is going to sign off on that one.

18 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Buvac to manage Arsenal, sly dog

Story is coming from Serbia sources but given Arsenal's Head of Recruitment worked with him at BVB, you never know!

Just now, wilai said:

Story is coming from Serbia sources but given Arsenal's Head of Recruitment worked with him at BVB, you never know!

Yeah, I saw those reports from the homeland. Funny, I was wondering if there was any connection between the new Arsenal big wigs and Buvac. Seems there is !

4 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Yeah, I saw those reports from the homeland. Funny, I was wondering if there was any connection between the new Arsenal big wigs and Buvac. Seems there is !

Probably not connected to his 'leave' from Anfield for remainder of the season. Apparently his father is unwell and he has been spending more and more time in Bosnia of late.

1 minute ago, wilai said:

Probably not connected to his 'leave' from Anfield for remainder of the season. Apparently his father is unwell and he has been spending more and more time in Bosnia of late.

Now that makes more sense.

39 minutes ago, jellydog said:

It’s the same newspaper that broke The Klopp to Liverpool a day before Brendan was sacked.

• 2 weeks later...

Who said that Arsene retires in the first season that he has not won a trophy. Europa League qualification is a trophy innit?

................................................................................

Seriously glad that Arsenal did not relegate Huddersfield with that lucky win and seriously glad on his account to get the no-away-points-in-2018 monkey off his back. I do hope he thinks better of his seeming intent on continuing in high level serious management, although I guess slitty-eyed and dewey-eyed parts of the world like China and the US don't count as 'serious' to the European and South American mind. Seriously though fellah - try spending it rather than accumulating it - you might find it's more fun.

Unfortunately that game just served as reminder of what a mountain the new incumbent has to climb to reconstruct a defence - which has been the Arsenal downfall (and its manager's greatest aberation) over the last 5 years or more. I can only think of 2 defenders who have emerged with any credit this year - setting aside the newbie, Maitland-Niles, who is multi-positional and Koscielny, who I think can blame niggling injury more than ability. One is Monreal and the other Kolasinac; curiously Arsene seemed to ignore the latter for a huge middle chunk of the season. [Bellerin is class but is pants as a defender]

I was trying to think of memorable moments of the season ...... I'm still trying! Maybe the excellent purchase of Aubmanayong (as it seems we must now all call him) is the only one. Scored pretty close to one goal a game since arriving, despite wholly inconsistent service - I hope the management can hang on to him and motivate him for next year.

Oh well - on to greater tragedies - the England team in the World Cup :sad:

Oh - forgot to doff my cap to Huddersfield and ManU fans, who did a better job of sending off Arsene than the Arsenal fans (but that's based only on TV coverage, which we all know is fake news)

Too true Carmine. Wenger may be gone but the pathetic excuse for a (mis)management continues!

Appointing a CEO out of emotional attachment rather than analysis of ablity to meet the business' critical success factors - straight out of the management consultant's little red book of "company self-destruct pointers"!

I really do not see a downside at all. The board have pandered to Wenger for many years and now they can back or sack whoever thry wish and do it with zero emotions involved. There was an emotional attachment which prolonged Wenger's tenure and the biggest positive for arsenal is that is now severed. One step at a time for this board and the biggest step has already been taken. 

I reckon Arteta would get more out of the team than arsene, I think most managers would. Once a great coach but not always.

So instead of Klopp you guys would have been happy with Carragher? Wanna swap Klopp for Arteta?

my bad if i spelled jamie's name wrong. Liked him a lot as a footballer and loyal local btw

Point is you should just be happy for a change. The biggest problem you had the last decade has just gone, you bumbled along with Wenger for ten years I think any new head needs a chance, bit like Wenger when he came minus the PL experience or any hint of being a known quantity.

I don't dismiss your point of view and there have been good newish managers that have done well with lower half clubs like Martinez and Poch before moving onto higher. Wenger though was not in that category when he joined Arsenal. Already managed Monaco and in Japan. I would take an Arteta after a good full managerial position or Viera after more experience, but now - I think they would fail. Maybe we have to take one if there is no decent experienced manager willing to jump in.

I don't buy (what I take to be) that part of your argument that we should be happy Wenger is gone and anything else is secondary and I'm sure Gazidis isn't thinking that way.

Shame that Allegri isn't in the market but it's hardly surprising he's staying with Italy's top team if a part reconstruction job in a non-CL contender is the only top level job around this Summer*.

Having said all that I'm pretty much resigned to a few years of frustration (but hopeful that the fact we have some good players and the problem is not in attack, easily fixable in mid and mostly confined to defence means it's a one year issue). No team has a right to remain in the top slice notwithstanding the reserves of money giving it a head start.

I still don't believe Gazidis is seriously regarding any of the ex Arsenal players as front line candidates. My latest guess is Unai Emery, who would be OK for Arsenal in my view (but I don't scour the news for the very latest so maybe he's already going elsewhere). As always a lot hinges on chemistry factors between appointors and appointee and no pundit can second guess that, so I'm happy to wait and see.

*Chelsea similar to us. Napoli might be thought of as a better bet though, particularly for those who don't crave cold-wet PL intensity

Unai Emery, best choice available - if confirmed as seems likely per morning news.

Not sure where you got the Thursday night label from Ronnie. Thought he was a CL-eliminated-in-quarter-finals expert. That'll do for Stan Kroenke and will do for the fans in the short/medium term. First build a team to qualify though.

Unai Emery is an interesting choice.  Obviously he won silverware in France but was impressive at Sevilla.

Certainly a more inspired choice than the all too inexperienced Arteta.  Whatever pans out here it would appear the new manager will have little or no autonomy in the transfer market.

Who knows what will be in his contract. Certainly Arsenal set up a whole new transfer set-up in the last years of Wenger's reign but I don't think we ever even found out how that operated in conjunction with the manager. Generally though, the days of manager autonomy over transfer selections seem to be over. In the modern globally sourced game I can't see how they would be expected to be able to assess the prospects, even with a good scouting network.

Managers are now highly paid whipping boys on a short leash!

Archived