Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

27 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Is it not also true, that E.U citizens, who may have no connection with the U.K And may never have set foot In the U.K. can obtain a loan/ grant to enroll in a English/ Welsh university, and then on completion of their British tax funded university education, return to their own country, and forget to pay the loan back.

Meanwhile a British tax paying  citizen residing in say, Thailand, is not only refused a loan/grant, but should their children enter a British university, they will be expected to pay the full cost PLUS an extra 50%.

This I beLeave  is another example of British citizens being treated as 2nd class by all governments.

I do hope that's not true - but it wouldn't surprise me, the way we've been the suckers of the EU for decades.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nontabury said:

English,Welsh and Nth Irish people cannot even obtain free entry to Scottish universities, while citizens of the E.U can. Of course this has nothing to do with discrimination.

Regarding British students moving, post grad to a E.U. country. That is no easy feat for the majority. And let’s remember that  E.U citizens do not even need to move to the U.K post university in order to obtain a British tax funded education, and yes, funded by British tax payers residing in Thailand. 

"English,Welsh and Nth Irish people cannot even obtain free entry to Scottish universities, while citizens of the E.U can." 

Do you mean after Brexit or now?  Surely if you mean now, then English Welsh and N. Irish people are still EU citizens.

2 minutes ago, PREM-R said:

"English,Welsh and Nth Irish people cannot even obtain free entry to Scottish universities, while citizens of the E.U can." 

Do you mean after Brexit or now?  Surely if you mean now, then English Welsh and N. Irish people are still EU citizens.

It's because for UK citizens in the UK, UK law overrides EU law. It's the British government that decides you must pay.  However EU citizens are protected from being treated differently to local(Scottish) ones so they must be offered free places too.

5 minutes ago, PREM-R said:

Now, and yes citizens of the three home countries can not obtain free entry into a Scottish university, while citizens of E.U countries can. What will happen after Briexit,I’ve no idea, best ask the SNP.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Swimman said:

I have chosen to ignore your rudeness but would point out that you have failed to answer the question asked. Is it a reading or comprehension problem?

No, the problem is all yours and that appears to be due to an absence of basic maths skills.  The numbers are evidence, can't you grasp that?

3 minutes ago, tebee said:

It's because for UK citizens in the UK, UK law overrides EU law. It's the British government that decides you must pay.  However EU citizens are protected from being treated differently to local(Scottish) ones so they must be offered free places too.

So at the moment, why are English,Welsh and Nth Irish citizens not protected by the same E.U rules?

1 minute ago, nontabury said:

So at the moment, why are English,Welsh and Nth Irish citizens not protected by the same E.U rules?

Not in the UK - if Scotland became independent they would be !

Eu law covers how a country treats other countries citizens not how it treats it's own.

Is the same reason it's easier for a EU cit to bring their spouse to UK

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

The date thing was barely relevant to my point, so I couldn't be bothered to respond - sorry.

And you didn't admit your mistake - you just blamed it on a typo by whoever wrote it. To not know who Best for Britain represent suggests you know little about this topic, despite copy pasting writing lots of comments on it.

So, you are still failing to admit your mistake.  The date was 100% relevant as the year that was absent from your paper saw a change in the trend your argument was based on, your claim was false.

And I did admit my mistake, my mistake being not to check their article for mistakes.  Are you seriously suggesting that it is a mistake not to be aware of a group?

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

Reciprocal arrangements only really work when both sides make use of them.

I think it's far more likely a parent from Romania comes to the UK to take child benefits for a child in Romania than it is for a UK parent to do the same in Romania. So it's the UK that loses out in these arrangements. I think.

Romania is one country, there is also France, Germany, Holland, Italy etc. I personally knew many British expats in Germany and Finland, none of them ever wanted to go back to the UK.

Edited by soalbundy

59 minutes ago, nontabury said:

English,Welsh and Nth Irish people cannot even obtain free entry to Scottish universities, while citizens of the E.U can. Of course this has nothing to do with discrimination.

Regarding British students moving, post grad to a E.U. country. That is no easy feat for the majority. And let’s remember that  E.U citizens do not even need to move to the U.K post university in order to obtain a British tax funded education, and yes, funded by British tax payers residing in Thailand, who I repeat must pay an extra 50% to send their British children to those same U.K universities.

This is just one of many instances that the British have allowed themselves to be played as Muggs. All because in 1975 we voted to join a trading block called the E.E.C. That has now transformed without our agreement into the hated E.U.

Dont You realise you are regarded as Mugs by the EU.Your Lefties caused you big prob. Better you get out now.Why you ever dig tunnel to France was dumby..no matter ,you win in end.Allways Have like Churchill did,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tebee said:

Why not, Brits have unrestricted access to jobs in 27 countries ? Wages - you have heard of the minimum wage ? If that's too low it's for the UK gov to raise it.

I suspect there are far more British Criminals in Spain alone, than EU ones in the UK.

Yeah, but the ones in Spain are retired. Have a heart!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Romania is one country, there is also France, Germany, Holland, Italy etc. I personally knew many British expats in Germany and Finland, none of them ever wanted to go back to the UK.

And were they claiming child benefits from Germany for children living in the UK?  That's the issue I was discussing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

Is it not also true, that E.U citizens, who may have no connection with the U.K And may never have set foot In the U.K. can obtain a loan/ grant to enroll in a English/ Welsh university, and then on completion of their British tax funded university education, return to their own country, and forget to pay the loan back.

Meanwhile a British tax paying  citizen residing in say, Thailand, is not only refused a loan/grant, but should their children enter a British university, they will be expected to pay the full cost PLUS an extra 50%.

This I beLeave  is another example of British citizens being treated as 2nd class by all governments.

You are correct - that is not correct.

The EU student, assuming that they are resident in the EU, will get charged the UK / EU fees rate "residency is more important than citizenship", to quote 'The Complete University Guide'.  Loans are at the behest of the home country.  The fees for non-EU residents are not 150%, as far as I can tell, they are generally more like two or three times higher, but I think that the UK / EU fees are controlled, while the non-EU fees are not, and the universities charge whatever they think that the market will bear.

It seems fair to me that British residents should pay lower fees than tax-dodging expats who choose to pay their tax in some faraway jurisdiction (or not at all).  Why not send your child to a Thai university?

Then you suspect wrong. There are many harded criminal operating in the U.K. thanks to the E.U. open boarder policy.

While not being criminals as such, I did notice when visiting Boston, lincs in January,  that in addition to hearing many Eastern European languages, while walking through the town centre. I purchased a copy of the Boston Standard, in which 3 pages were devoted to reporting case that had gone before the local court. They mostly involved, drunkenness, violent behavior and other so called anti social activities. Interestingly about 70% involved people with Eastern European names. 

Let's hope they don't have to rename the paper to....wait for it.................

..........................The Boston Strangler.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tebee said:

UK law never overrides EU law. Until we're properly out of course. :smile:

Edited by nauseus

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

So, you are still failing to admit your mistake.  The date was 100% relevant as the year that was absent from your paper saw a change in the trend your argument was based on, your claim was false.

And I did admit my mistake, my mistake being not to check their article for mistakes.  Are you seriously suggesting that it is a mistake not to be aware of a group?

The dates may not have aligned, but the fact remains that EU and British staff are leaving (or not joining) the NHS primarily because of the NHS crisis. That hasn't changed since the paper I saw was written. That's why I didn't feel the need to admit anything.

If I was continually fighting the Remain case on TVF and posted that the main anti-Brexit group were pro-Brexit, I'd be quite embarrassed. Maybe it was your Trump moment (when he re-tweeted the Britain First stuff) :laugh:

13 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

You are correct - that is not correct.

The EU student, assuming that they are resident in the EU, will get charged the UK / EU fees rate "residency is more important than citizenship", to quote 'The Complete University Guide'.  Loans are at the behest of the home country.  The fees for non-EU residents are not 150%, as far as I can tell, they are generally more like two or three times higher, but I think that the UK / EU fees are controlled, while the non-EU fees are not, and the universities charge whatever they think that the market will bear.

It seems fair to me that British residents should pay lower fees than tax-dodging expats who choose to pay their tax in some faraway jurisdiction (or not at all).  Why not send your child to a Thai university?

The Thai-born kids who have British passports can attend British unis under the same terms as any other Brish kids. That is actually what Grouse said. Thai university degrees are not generally favoured over a UK university degree in the big wide world because of perceived poor academic reputation. I've looked at some of the Thai uni courses and the syllabi look fine, so if there is a problem it will be to do with the delivery or "marking". Some British and Canadian kids here that I know have gone to Thai unis because they have decided they want to live and work in Thailand. Good luck to them.

7 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

The dates may not have aligned, but the fact remains that EU and British staff are leaving (or not joining) the NHS primarily because of the NHS crisis. That hasn't changed since the paper I saw was written. That's why I didn't feel the need to admit anything.

If I was continually fighting the Remain case on TVF and posted that the main anti-Brexit group were pro-Brexit, I'd be quite embarrassed. Maybe it was your Trump moment (when he re-tweeted the Britain First stuff) :laugh:

No, that fact no longer remains, that is what I have repeatedly tried to explain to you.  The paper you posted shows British nurses leaving while EU nurses continued to increase in numbers.  This year the number of EU nurses has gone down for the first time, you have not used any resemblance of logic to arrive at your claim that both of them are now leaving because of the state of the NHS.

You were and still are, wrong.  But keep bleating about my mistake if it makes you feel better, but I do think that your mistake is a whole load more embarrassing, particularly the fact that you still cant seem to grasp your error despite having it explained to you three times.

Please provide details, example will you be expected to pay the full cost+ 50%.

or are you able/ clever enough to obtain a British Government loan/ grant?

Or will you resort to moving to your beloved Germany, from where your British daughter will be able to enter a British university at little or no cost to yourself.

Mind your own beeswax

Edited by Grouse
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The Thai-born kids who have British passports can attend British unis under the same terms as any other Brish kids. That is actually what Grouse said. Thai university degrees are not generally favoured over a UK university degree in the big wide world because of perceived poor academic reputation. I've looked at some of the Thai uni courses and the syllabi look fine, so if there is a problem it will be to do with the delivery or "marking". Some British and Canadian kids here that I know have gone to Thai unis because they have decided they want to live and work in Thailand. Good luck to them.

As far as the universities are concerned they are not bothered where people are born.  Residency is more important.  For home fees, you need to be resident in the UK for three years prior to university, with some exceptions.

1 minute ago, StreetCowboy said:

As far as the universities are concerned they are not bothered where people are born.  Residency is more important.  For home fees, you need to be resident in the UK for three years prior to university, with some exceptions.

Ok then. I must have got lucky!

• Haha 1