Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

A question for the Brexiteers:

What set of economic and social circumstances would have to materialise to make you believe that Brexit was the wrong choice? For example and just to get you thinking, but in no way limited to: a 3% drop in GDP for more than 5 years; a 5p increase in the basic rate of tax; an exchange rate of 1GBP=1USD; a drop in the UK credit rating to BBB; privatisation of the NHS as a means to make money, and so on. This is not a trap, I just want to try and understand what the Brexit threshold of pain looks like.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On this forum, people of all nationalities are allowed to comment on political topics. As an American, I welcome comments from non-Americans on our current severe political crisis, but of course I welcome people of any nationality that support my positions more. Human nature, innit? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Not sure if there is any difference in this respect between referendums than elections, but if it were the latter, and the Commission referred the case the police and resulted in a guilty charge, then the election result would be voided.

Where it is reported that the candidate, by his agents, 
has been guilty of any corrupt practice, lie is precluded 
from sitting in the House of Commons for that county or 
borough for seven years from the date of the report; and 
in both cases the election is void.

THE CORRUPT PRACTICES ACT, 1883

Valid point, but elections are more individual orientated and much easier to penalise an individual.

2 minutes ago, aright said:

I control my own destiny in the sense that I am working on my life not just in it.

leaving aside genetics, nurture, place of education, country of birth, sexuality, health, IQ, etc. you will find, if you think deeply about it, that you aren't in control of anything, not even your thoughts, try it out, if you are in control then stop thinking about anything for just 10 minuets. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, but again, people of all nationalities are allowed here to comment on it as well. 

Why bother unless it's for entertainments sake, comments are just sound and fury with some laughter in the background, they serve no purpose. Yes, anyone can comment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

Why bother unless it's for entertainments sake, comments are just sound and fury with some laughter in the background, they serve no purpose. Yes, anyone can comment.

It's a discussion forum here. Nothing more to say that isn't totally obvious. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

if you are in control then stop thinking about anything for just 10 minuets. 

Its a dichotomy. If you stop thinking you were never in control. 

SB this is a bit off topic and an argument that could go on for years.

I will respect your last word

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's a discussion forum here. Nothing more to say that isn't totally obvious. 

Sometimes it's good to have an outside opinion 

"O would some power, the gift tae gi'e us

To see ourselves as others see us"

53 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

A question for the Brexiteers:

What set of economic and social circumstances would have to materialise to make you believe that Brexit was the wrong choice? For example and just to get you thinking, but in no way limited to: a 3% drop in GDP for more than 5 years; a 5p increase in the basic rate of tax; an exchange rate of 1GBP=1USD; a drop in the UK credit rating to BBB; privatisation of the NHS as a means to make money, and so on. This is not a trap, I just want to try and understand what the Brexit threshold of pain looks like.

I'm just going to keep this visible for a while to see if anyone is up to answering the question.

• Sad 1

Just now, StreetCowboy said:

All I could think about was the music and the dancing

maybe but the fact that you can't control your brain,can't order it to stop the internal noise (most of it unnecessary rubbish anyway) shows that you aren't in control. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

You are a trouble maker :smile:

Hand on heart I'm not (in this instance), I'm merely trying to understand the mindset and Brexiteer priorities. But from experience, Brexiteers don't usually do hypothetical, it requires too much thought so I expect the question to be avoided.

Edited by simoh1490
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

maybe but the fact that you can't control your brain,can't order it to stop the internal noise (most of it unnecessary rubbish anyway) shows that you aren't in control. 

SB this is the sort of argument once started you can't get away from.

You are assuming there is something outside your brain which is "you". There is its called your dead body. The brain is the control mechanism. 

6 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Sometimes it's good to have an outside opinion 

"O would some power, the gift tae gi'e us

To see ourselves as others see us"

I think the first line is

Of all the gifts God did nae gie us

or were you paraphrasing? The great Robby would be turning in his grave

1 minute ago, aright said:

SB this is the sort of argument once started you can't get away from.

You are assuming there is something outside your brain which is "you". There is its called your dead body. The brain is the control mechanism. 

I'm assuming that 'me' is a mind induced illusion and that consciousness is non local. Things are as they are,things happen in the manifested space that thinks it is 'me' and can happen in no other way.

27 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

If you were a good friend (as an American) you would not interfere in something that you are not emotionally connected to.

If the US was under the control of an outside power, I would not assume I know what it felt like for you. And therefore I would not pass judgement on your decisions around that arrangement.

It's delusional to accuse me of "interfering" by commenting on a web forum.

11 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I think the first line is

Of all the gifts God did nae gie us

or were you paraphrasing? The great Robby would be turning in his grave

From Wikipedia:

Burns original
O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion:
What airs in dress an' gait wad lea'e us,
An' ev'n devotion!

____

My apologies for the misquote.  "giftie" hurts my ears, to be honest.  Your paraphrase works just as well, and falls easier on my ears

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I'm assuming that 'me' is a mind induced illusion and that consciousness is non local. Things are as they are,things happen in the manifested space that thinks it is 'me' and can happen in no other way.

I don't know why this topic reminded me of a conversation I overheard between my mother and sister when I was a young man over her (sisters) new boyfriend . Sheila you must follow your heart but don't leave your brain behind.

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's delusional to accuse me of "interfering" by commenting on a web forum.

don't argue with a brexiter,for them it's all about taking back the control they never had, in America it's Joe the plumber, in the UK it's Joe Bloggs, they both think they matter. I think the German reference is even more pointed, a 08/15 citizen ( a comparison to a file number)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1