Walmart raises minimum age for buying firearms

webfact

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

Again, the idea that the founders could not imagine a semi-automatic rifle is silly.

The founders were in the America's using muskets. Do you think they just popped on google to see what was being invented 5000 miles away in Austria? A repeating rifle that needed 1500 hand pumps of a device to recharge it every 30 shots. The Girandoni was NOT a semi automatic weapon. I have no idea why you have even started this conversation. What is your point? Semi automatic weapons were NOT invented until the end of the 19th century and NOT in mass production until the 20th century. Simple!

2 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

Nobody has said it could not be imagined you said semi-automatic weapons were in service and mass produced in the 18th century.. Even the invention by Girandoni was nothing more than a concept weapon. DaVinci imagined tanks and long range artillery are you to now propose that the tank was in service in 1560? 

I see you are sticking with the fact you believe the Girandoni was a successful weapon. This discussion is utter nonsense, please stop.

Again, I have admitted I mistakenly used semi-automatic rifle for repeating rife, why it that not enough? Is your position so weak you feel you have to shut down the discussion?

People arguing that the founding fathers of the United State could never have imagined the possibility of semi-automatic rifles at the time of the 2nd amendment. I believe that is a false claim.

The founders were in the America's using muskets. Do you think they just popped on google to see what was being invented 5000 miles away in Austria? A repeating rifle that needed 1500 hand pumps of a device to recharge it every 30 shots. The Girandoni was NOT a semi automatic weapon. I have no idea why you have even started this conversation. What is your point? Semi automatic weapons were NOT invented until the end of the 19th century and NOT in mass production until the 20th century. Simple!

Thomas Jefferson had two Girandonis prior to the 2nd amendment.

The Lewis and Clark Expidition used others in demonstrations shortly after the 2nd amendment. 

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Thomas Jefferson had two Girandonis prior to the 2nd amendment.

The Lewis and Clark Expidition used others in demonstrations shortly after the 2nd amendment. 

That will be the same Thomas Jefferson that said

“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." 

or at least that is what all the pro gun groups will quote. What they always seem to forget is the other half of the sentence

“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms, within his own lands or tenements”

you all use whatever excuses you want. In the meantime countless children die every single year in the US as a result of gun violence. I really wonder what actually defines a country as a 'first world nation'.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

That will be the same Thomas Jefferson that said

or at least that is what all the pro gun groups will quote. What they always seem to forget is the other half of the sentence

you all use whatever excuses you want. In the meantime countless children die every single year in the US as a result of gun violence. I really wonder what actually defines a country as a 'first world nation'.

So do you believe the the 2nd amendment should be repealed, and guns should be outlawed and confiscated?

If not, what do you think should/can be done?

Countless children every year might be a stretch, but I think we all agree one it too many. That said, is interesting no one seems to care until it's white kids in a rich neighborhood... 

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

Where do you buy guns where you come from?

I have no idea.

I cling to the idea that you would have more chance of being shot if you actually owned a gun. If anyone else with a gun sees that you have one, I believe it will only add an instictive 'kill-or-be-killed' twitch to their trigger-finger.

1 minute ago, CharlesSwann said:

I have no idea.

I cling to the idea that you would have more chance of being shot if you actually owned a gun. If anyone else with a gun sees that you have one, I believe it will only add an instictive 'kill-or-be-killed' twitch to their trigger-finger.

I agree walking around showing or pointing your gun at people i probably not a good idea. 

Owning a car makes it more likely your going to die in a car wreck as well. 

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

So do you believe the the 2nd amendment should be repealed, and guns should be outlawed and confiscated?

If not, what do you think should/can be done?

Countless children every year might be a stretch, but I think we all agree one it too many. That said, is interesting no one seems to care until it's white kids in a rich neighborhood... 

Keep your own prejudices to yourself. I said 'Children'.

Whilst 1300 children per year may not literally be countless as they have in fact been counted i think you get the idea. Of the top 22 nations in the world in terms of economy, law and order etc the USA which has less than half the population of the other 22 nations combined has 82% of the total gun homicides of all 22 nations, and 91% of child deaths caused by guns. Something is CLEARLY wrong!  So no, I do not believe the 2nd amendment should be repealed and guns outlawed or confiscated, but ANY reasonable intelligent person would understand that the 2nd amendment needs to be amended to include the 21 century changes in technology and to represent accurately what the purpose of the 2nd amendment was and to adjust that for todays society.

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

Owning a car makes it more likely your going to die in a car wreck as well. 

Yes it does, but you buy a car with the intent of traveling from point A to point B. You buy a gun with the sole intent of shooting things. There is only the one reason to have a gun and that is to kill stuff. If killing stuff were the only reason to own a car then in civilised countries we would all have to use the bus.

Keep your own prejudices to yourself. I said 'Children'.

Whilst 1300 children per year may not literally be countless as they have in fact been counted i think you get the idea. Of the top 22 nations in the world in terms of economy, law and order etc the USA which has less than half the population of the other 22 nations combined has 82% of the total gun homicides of all 22 nations, and 91% of child deaths caused by guns. Something is CLEARLY wrong!  So no, I do not believe the 2nd amendment should be repealed and guns outlawed or confiscated, but ANY reasonable intelligent person would understand that the 2nd amendment needs to be amended to include the 21 century changes in technology and to represent accurately what the purpose of the 2nd amendment was and to adjust that for todays society.

No need to get nasty, I was referring to the press and the general public, not you in particular. 

So do you have an example of what changes should be made?

Personally, I think an argument can be made to repeal and confiscate, but I don't have much of an idea what else can be done to have make any significant reduction.

Outlaw semi-autos?

Outlaw bump-stocks?

Outlaw high volume clips?

Outlaw all repeaters?

I am just trying to discuss this, I'm not trying to attack anyone.

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

So do you have an example of what changes should be made?

Personally, I think an argument can be made to repeal and confiscate, but I don't have much of an idea what else can be done to have make any significant reduction.

Outlaw semi-autos?

Outlaw bump-stocks?

Outlaw high volume clips?

Outlaw all repeaters?

Well how about in the aftermath of American Independence the US now realise that 250 years later it does indeed have a well regulated and disciplined militia and that redcoats are no longer blundering through the American woods.

Yes, get rid of assault weapons

get rid of bump stocks

get rid of all high volume clips

and make it MANDATORY for every gun owner to have comprehensive background checks with a national computer database of every single owner and every single weapon. What is there for law abiding citizens to object to?

8 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

Yes it does, but you buy a car with the intent of traveling from point A to point B. You buy a gun with the sole intent of shooting things. There is only the one reason to have a gun and that is to kill stuff. If killing stuff were the only reason to own a car then in civilised countries we would all have to use the bus.

If people only bought guns to kill things there would be nothing left alive in the US.

A lot of people like shooting and never kill anything. When I was in high school in SoCal we had a rife team and competed with other schools. Lot of people target shoot at ranges, nothing to kill there.

I lot of people want to feel secure in their homes, or out late at night, why would you deprive them of that? 

Well how about in the aftermath of American Independence the US now realise that 250 years later it does indeed have a well regulated and disciplined militia and that redcoats are no longer blundering through the American woods.

Yes, get rid of assault weapons

get rid of bump stocks

get rid of all high volume clips

and make it MANDATORY for every gun owner to have comprehensive background checks with a national computer database of every single owner and every single weapon. What is there for law abiding citizens to object to?

How would an assault rifle be defined? Is pretty sketchy. Would the government buy them back or just take them? Most of the "assault" style rifles sold in the US are crap. 

How many shots is a reasonable number for a clip? Would you also limit the number of clips?

Who will/should pay for the background checks of every owner and registration of every single weapon and  whatever testing is needed? 

16 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Who will/should pay for the background checks of every owner and registration of every single weapon and  whatever testing is needed? 

The applicant/owner

16 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Would the government buy them back or just take them?

Buy them, they did it in Australia.

17 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Most of the "assault" style rifles sold in the US are crap. 

They will still kill you.

18 minutes ago, mogandave said:

How many shots is a reasonable number for a clip? Would you also limit the number of clips?

5. Yes

25 minutes ago, mogandave said:

How would an assault rifle be defined? Is pretty sketchy.

Each State already has its own definition - start there.

1 hour ago, Andaman Al said:

The applicant/owner

Buy them, they did it in Australia.

They will still kill you.

5. Yes

Each State already has its own definition - start there.

1 hour ago, Andaman Al said: