Anti-Thaksin Yellowshirt Party To Be Revived With Anti-Corruption Mandate

snoop1130

Anti-Thaksin Yellowshirt Party To Be Revived With Anti-Corruption Mandate

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

party-696x392.jpg

Members of the planned New Palangdharma Party at a Thursday launch event in Bangkok. The party vows to tackle corruption and push for national reforms. Photo: Matichon

BANGKOK — A defunct political party will be reconstituted to tackle corruption and push for reform, its leaders announced Thursday.

Founders of the New Palang Dharma Party said at a press conference at Bangkok’s Asia Hotel that the party is needed as the country has fallen behind in ASEAN and become trapped in political division.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2018/03/01/anti-thaksin-yellowshirt-party-revived/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-3-1

50 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

These new parties from ex-PAD and PDRC will only appeal to the Dem constituencies. More headache for Ahbisit.

True, cant imagine an pro Thaksin party to be anti corruption. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Eric Loh said:

All manifesto of political parties have anti corruption as their policy. Even the junta proudly and shamelessly declared themselves as corruption eradicator. But when push comes to shove, all failed miserably. 

Yes the junta failed.. Thaksin did not even try (only made it worse just look at the corruption index during his time).

This party however will have to prove themselves. 

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes the junta failed.. Thaksin did not even try (only made it worse just look at the corruption index during his time).

This party however will have to prove themselves. 

Not splitting hair; all make poor attempts to eradicate corruption. Unfair dispensation  of justice made it difficult to eradicate. 

7 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Maybe you should look again. Take note, lower is better.

Different indexes show different Things.. your not even showing Thaksin his time in power

Look at the graph and his reign of power 2001 till 2006 look how it rises. Higher then at any other graph (though its a bit unclear how they compare the 2 different scales)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra

5a935a7714ddd_ThaiCorruption.jpg.466a4792d854967a5765194e01636e98.jpg

Edited by robblok
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

So let's take the one that floats your boat right?

I thought you always claimed that Yingluck was a puppet and that Thaksin was in power in 2011 - early 2014, so yes I showed Thasin's time in power, at least according to your own words.

But even in your " favourite" ranking, anyone can see that 2017 wasn't any better than the years when a Thaksin proxy government was in place, and 2016 was a VERY bad year.

Can you remind us who was in charge in 2016?

I said Thaksin.. never mentioned YL. I agree that YL is a puppet of Thaksin, but I was specifically talking about his reign. Sorry that it confused you. 

Just look at the huge increase during his reign... that shows what people always have known he was one of the most corrupt there were. 2001 - 2006

I already voiced my disappointment with the junta so I agree with you that they did a bad job. 

This was not my favorite graph at all.. just one that popped up recently in a topic. 

• Like 1

A thought has just occurred to me, slowly and fuzzily as I am a bear of very little brain...

Yet another "pro junta" or at least "likely to favour Prayut" party. 

Now isn't one of the aims of the "new unique to Thailand" electoral system to ensure that the party list seats are distributed amongst those parties which don't do so well in the constituency battles - no vote wasted or something along those lines?

Now with such a plethora of these new small parties, with shall we say a clearly defined if not particularly strong support base, we might well find that a number of parties all following a particular "train of thought" collect a somewhat disproportionate number of such seats.

Well, "strap my vitals" as they say in all the best pirate films, that is almost gerrymandering, surely not the intention?

As I said, I am a bear of very little brain...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

I said Thaksin.. never mentioned YL. I agree that YL is a puppet of Thaksin, but I was specifically talking about his reign. Sorry that it confused you. 

Just look at the huge increase during his reign... that shows what people always have known he was one of the most corrupt there were. 2001 - 2006

I already voiced my disappointment with the junta so I agree with you that they did a bad job. 

This was not my favorite graph at all.. just one that popped up recently in a topic. 

What I see from your graph is that from mid 2003 to 2006, that was Thaksin's reign don't you agree, the ranking was better than any year between 2014 and 2017.

Drop those eye shells Rob, hate makes you blind.

You do realise that in your rank, higher is better, don't you?

Edited by janclaes47

8 minutes ago, JAG said:

A thought has just occurred to me, slowly and fuzzily as I am a bear of very little brain...

Yet another "pro junta" or at least "likely to favour Prayut" party. 

Now isn't one of the aims of the "new unique to Thailand" electoral system to ensure that the party list seats are distributed amongst those parties which don't do so well in the constituency battles - no vote wasted or something along those lines?

Now with such a plethora of these new small parties, with shall we say a clearly defined if not particularly strong support base, we might well find that a number of parties all following a particular "train of thought" collect a somewhat disproportionate number of such seats.

Well, "strap my vitals" as they say in all the best pirate films, that is almost gerrymandering, surely not the intention?

As I said, I am a bear of very little brain...

JAG its just now that the new voting system makes it easier to start a new party. Nothing sinister behind it, this is the way to get new blood into politics. They will all have to prove themselves. I don't think that all the splintering up is good for the Democrats but at least some new blood is appearing. Maybe some of them will be good others will be in it for themselves will have to see how things go. This way maybe those students and those leading the protests might get in politics too its much easier to enter now. 

Just now, JAG said:

Hmmh, forgive me for being cynical, but all the "new blood" seems to be actually rather old blood - politically.

I am hoping for the students and other to join, its now a lot easier.  Your right in this case its old blood.. and I am displeased with Suthep appearing again. But there are so many parties appearing that there is bound to be some new blood. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eligius said:

And Abhisit deserves every headache that he gets. He, as a Western-educated man (at Eton and Oxford) steeped in liberal democracy, had every opportunity to really make a difference to this country. 

Instead, he chose to align himself with the democracy smashers. Utterly shameful.

abhisit made three absolute horrid mistakes;

1) caught cheating on military entrances

2) caught , in office, red-handed, alleging a false voice impersonation

3) giving away all the money late in the game to crony parties with the hope of re-election;

perhaps western -educated but i would never vote for him or people of his ilk

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

All manifesto of political parties have anti corruption as their policy. Even the junta proudly and shamelessly declared themselves as corruption eradicator. But when push comes to shove, all failed miserably. 

"All manifesto of political parties have anti corruption as their policy.'

And some reduced the budgets to fight corruption.

5 hours ago, Eligius said:

And Abhisit deserves every headache that he gets. He, as a Western-educated man (at Eton and Oxford) steeped in liberal democracy, had every opportunity to really make a difference to this country. 

Instead, he chose to align himself with the democracy smashers. Utterly shameful.

so so right; with just the right/talent of deceitful thai speech; a guy in the line with suthep, (his former deputy PM) along with the prior actual and proxies, worst for all of us;

you could say: 'so much promise and so little delivery'

• Like 1

Chamlong’s reincarnated party could support Prayut, rejects ‘Western-style democracy’

By KAS CHANWANPEN 
THE NATION

f15358bf13d51b21f7e4959804379e70-sld.jpe

The New Palang Dharma Party’s leader, Rawee Maschamadol, seated centre, joins other co-founders in announcing its launch at the Asia Hotel yesterday.

A NEW political party has been launched with an apparent reliance on the reputation of the now-defunct Palang Dharma Party, which was popular in Bangkok 30 years ago with its anti-corruption stance and high standards.

Members of the “New Palang Dharma” announced yesterday that the party could support General Prayut Chan-o-cha as an outsider candidate for prime minister after the next election.

New Palang Dharma leader Rawee Maschamadol yesterday vowed to lead the country towards “dharma-cracy” and reject Western-style democracy.

Chamlong Srimuang, the founder of the original Palang Dharma (which means “the power of virtues”), has kept his word and washed his hands of politics and will have no role in this rebirth of the party, said Rawee.

Anti-corruption is the number one policy platform for the party, he said.

The new party’s founders announced its establishment and direction at a press conference in the Asia Hotel yesterday. They intend to request the official founding of the party with the Election Commission when registration starts today.

The new party is believed to have won the blessing of Chamlong, once a Bangkok governor whose party dominated Bangkok elections for years. The soldier-turned-politician later became a protest leader.

Palang Dharma was founded in 1988 by Chamlong. The party was very successful in its first general election in 1992, winning 32 out of 35 seats in the capital.

Billionaire-turned-politician Thaksin Shinawatra began his political career officially with Palang Dharma before founding his own political party, Thai Rak Thai. Palang Dharma leaders, including Chamlong and Rawee, played a major role in the right-leaning movement against the Shinawatra camp.

Rawee yesterday said the new party, despite being on a budget, would field candidates in all 350 constituencies all over the country. 

He refused to disclose the three candidates for prime minister that it would submit to the EC but said people could expect to be impressed by the names.

New Palang Dharma will support anyone who is honest and capable of leading the country to become the next government head after the election, Rawee said. 

The party would first try to support its own candidate to contest for premiership, Rawee said, but he did not rule out that it would back Prayut as an outsider prime minister.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30339980

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-02