Tourist falls at Ao Nang Cliff

rooster59

Tourist falls at Ao Nang Cliff

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

S__17915937.jpg

A 32 year old Argentinian woman, Karina Laura Citroner, fell from the Lagoon Cliff at Phra Nang Beach, Railay Bay, resulting in serious injuries.

The Argentinian woman ended up with her right leg and the joint on the right foot broken with a serious open wound.

The Director of First Standard Group (Ao Nang), Doctor Yingyong Temsinsakul, together with more than 20 members of Railay Bay and Tonsai Bay Climber Club, went to rescue the woman. The team had to climb up 200 metres on a very rough route which took about 5 hours. Once retrieved she was sent to a clinic in Ao Nang.

Full story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/tourist-falls-ao-nang-cliff

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2018-03-03

1 hour ago, Thian said:

So they never invested some money for a rescue-helicopter? 36 million tourists are coming this year, it's time Thailand raises it's standards.

I've seen a lot of choppers over Phuket lately.  They had a navy bird doing sky donuts all day on Kids Day last month.  One probably could have been in Krabi in 20 minutes.  Ehh sounds too much like work.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Thian said:

So they never invested some money for a rescue-helicopter? 36 million tourists are coming this year, it's time Thailand raises it's standards.

Agree with your sentiments..... But how many choppers will be needed.... Where will you base them? Not an easy issue to resolve. 

1 hour ago, Dario said:

Excellent and necessary remark! I applaud you. In our tiny Switzerland we have REGA (Swiss Air Rescue). Google it. Many lives have been saved with Rega. Thailand badly needs Air Rescue. 

Of course, topographically speaking, Switzerland couldn't live without Services like Rega, think only bout the mountains ... Thailand is another story. But one helicopter stationed in Phuket can be within minutes in Krabi and possibly save lives. That would be one at several locations like Pattaya, for example. Rega is funded with donations. A donor also gets free help from Rega should the situation arrive. CHF 70.-- (2'400 Baht) for a family of three per year, not much for an excellent service provided.

800px-Rega_EC-145_rescue_helicopter_interior.JPG

Just have a fall back home.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thian said:

depends on the location......you can't always use a helicopter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thian said:

Could a helicopter access the area in which she was found?  Perhaps it's time for some Thaivisa members to raise their standards?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thian said:

"it's time Thailand raises it's standards".

Thailand has no standards and it never will. Ask the tourists who are chopped to pieces by boat propellers or who die while scuba diving. Or die on any sort of boat or bus or mini-bus transportation.  They don't care so long as you spend your money before you die.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, tryasimight said:

From the photo it looks like the airbags deployed and may have saved her life.

I shouldn't laugh but that is funny. She does have a chest and a half....

Hope she recovers fully.

5 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Agree with your sentiments..... But how many choppers will be needed.... Where will you base them? Not an easy issue to resolve. 

Well let's start with 1 chopper first...and if the pilot doesn't crash it the first year we do another one...

That victim must have suffered big pains when they carried her down the mountain...a chopper would be so much better and her insurance would have paid it probably.

Thailand is so far behind the developed world.

• Sad 1

They couldn't climb down to get her?

I don't recall any 400 meter tall cliffs around Ao Nang. Seems like the took the long route if they climbed up 200 meters to get her. 

I assumed climbers could go both directions, up and down. 

12 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

I shouldn't laugh but that is funny. She does have a chest and a half....

Hope she recovers fully.

it's crying out for someone to jump on top of her and perform CPR like that thai girl did last week

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Thian said:

Well let's start with 1 chopper first...and if the pilot doesn't crash it the first year we do another one...

That victim must have suffered big pains when they carried her down the mountain...a chopper would be so much better and her insurance would have paid it probably.

Thailand is so far behind the developed world.

Numpty, you can't get a chopper in there.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Thian said:

back home my area has an air ambulance, the government wouldn't fund one so it is wholly supported and funded by charitable donations from the community - and delivers a fantastically beneficial service. in a country where no one seems to care about the carnage on the roads, and has started to run commercials in an attempt to educate divers to move out of the way of an emergency ambulance do you really think your  proposal would fly?(!)

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

back home my area has an air ambulance, the government wouldn't fund one so it is wholly supported and funded by charitable donations from the community - and delivers a fantastically beneficial service. in a country where no one seems to care about the carnage on the roads, and has started to run commercials in an attempt to educate divers to move out of the way of an emergency ambulance do you really think your  proposal would fly?(!)

Back home we have so many ambulance helicopters that neighbours started complaining about their noise!

I sure think my proposal will  be answered if only more tourists started questioning about it. 300 firetrucks rotting on a field in BKK, all unused and almost a decade old and they even have no rescue helicopter while tourist boats collapse/explode almost weekly...

Most Thai even don't know about the 300 rotting firetrucks...why? Because they don't dare to speak about such cases but they did pay for them.

On 03/03/2018 at 3:35 PM, Dario said:

Excellent and necessary remark! I applaud you. In our tiny Switzerland we have REGA (Swiss Air Rescue). Google it. Many lives have been saved with Rega. Thailand badly needs Air Rescue. 

Of course, topographically speaking, Switzerland couldn't live without Services like Rega, think only bout the mountains ... Thailand is another story. But one helicopter stationed in Phuket can be within minutes in Krabi and possibly save lives. That would be one at several locations like Pattaya, for example. Rega is funded with donations. A donor also gets free help from Rega should the situation arrive. CHF 70.-- (2'400 Baht) for a family of three per year, not much for an excellent service provided.

800px-Rega_EC-145_rescue_helicopter_interior.JPG

This is a Thai story, so no need to come here an brag about how good things are in Switzerland. Sure Rega is great so are rescue services in many neighbouring countries, of Switzerland.

What I don't get is that you compare the country that has the N°1 GDP per head in the world with ailing third world Thailand.

The only way to provide effective rescue services would be to request tourist to get a mandatory insurance that would be dedicated to the provision of rescue services.

Also when I was paragliding I found it ridiculous that they sent out a "free" helicopter to lift us out of the big trees some of us landed in.

Edited by KiChakayan

On 03/03/2018 at 4:41 PM, tryasimight said:

From the photo it looks like the airbags deployed and may have saved her life.

Don't think that's funny, would have said the same if it had been of of those farangs with a massive beer gut?

I am recovering from food poisoning, so don't take it too badly.