‘Men of discipline?’ Police banned from wearing sunglasses following haircut order as force gets an image makeover

webfact

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

i agree with most of it, ie, the haircuts, standing properly and speaking to the public in an appropriate manner but not so sure on the sunglasses. some of those traffic cops probably wouldn't be able to see what's coming their way on really sunny days and to expect them to not wear sunglasses when they are out there for hours is a bit much i think. perhaps, officers must remove sunglasses when addressing the public might have made more sense

Are you serious?? You really think this isn't some kind of comic sketch right? How could anybody ... I'm wasting my time right... This is just some govnmt stooge trying to give this move credibility isn't it??

Oh well...

• Confused 1

Thai really don't think things out just come up with an idea , implement it then when things don't workout say oh well. Here are  some photos on California's Highway Patrol Officers  . Sunglasses are part of the uniform due to the bright sunlight. Same with officers in Florida , Texas , Arizona and other states with sunny conditions.

CHIPs.jpg

Chips2.jpg

CHips1.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jonstarjon said:

Are you serious?? You really think this isn't some kind of comic sketch right? How could anybody ... I'm wasting my time right... This is just some govnmt stooge trying to give this move credibility isn't it??

Oh well...

yes i am serious. and your post makes no sense whatsoever so yes, you are wasting your time as am I by even replying to such drivel

Edited by Happy enough

2 hours ago, Happy enough said:

i agree with most of it, ie, the haircuts, standing properly and speaking to the public in an appropriate manner but not so sure on the sunglasses. some of those traffic cops probably wouldn't be able to see what's coming their way on really sunny days and to expect them to not wear sunglasses when they are out there for hours is a bit much i think. perhaps, officers must remove sunglasses when addressing the public might have made more sense

Thai don't need sunglasses, even not on motobikes when not wearing a helmet...also not in the back of a pickuptruck, not in construction, not in the garden, not as security guards.....

They might wear a balaclava but i never see them with sunglasses, only police do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ossy said:

This says it all, re the RTP's 'Men of Discipline' image. And this is after the Police Chief General Chakthip's 'statement, on November 15, that officers on duty must dress properly and have short haircuts', a reiteration of the policy one month later and random checks, during February. Quite simply, officers couldn't give a shit about orders from the very top cop.

There is an attitude problem, within the RTP that will be impossible to fix until all ranks literally bust a gut to carry out all rulings concerning behaviour and public image. If ranks aren't listening and obeying their boss, now, the only way to change that is to change the boss, which is what I and many other posters have been hankering after this for months, now. If we can see the spanner in the works, why can't the Powers that be? Too scared to use the 'power', maybe.

Power (with wielding arms), force, discipline, respect, responsibility . . . all words that are dying the death, when it comes to Thailand's governmental departments and agencies. There's this 'couldn't-give-a-shit' disease and it's spreading without control. Any posters got an idea as to why?

It would indeed take someone with 'balls' to remove the top cop for failing in his duties. Someone like Police Chief General Chakthip knows where all his bosses 'skeletons' are hidden and is Teflon coated by now!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jack Mountain said:

Remove their gun as well, let them finish the elementary school and they come close to be a human. Well the Thai version of course ...

I wonder if your comment is stupid and xenophobic or just stupid.

I don't know what mountain you come from, Jack, but I guess it's the kind where trolls, goblins and future-expats-in-Thailand are born. Hate, despise and mock, that's the rallying motto of these brave folks.

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually it could become a health issue.

My wife was advised to "always" wear sunglasses while out and about as without them could be the cause of cataract problems.

Perhaps if the polit get a prescription set they will have immunity.

3 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

I wonder of your comment is stupid and xenophobic or just stupid.

I don't know what mountain you come from, Jack, but I guess it's the kind where trolls, goblins and future-expats-in-Thailand are born. Hate, despise and mock, that's the rallying motto of these brave folks.

Sure that that expat thing will be not the case ...

7 minutes ago, Thian said:

Thai don't need sunglasses, even not on motobikes when not wearing a helmet...also not in the back of a pickuptruck, not in construction, not in the garden, not as security guards.....

They might wear a balaclava but i never see them with sunglasses, only police do that.

really, well i know many thais that choose to wear sunglasses so find that statement rather strange to be honest and also see many out and about wearing them including moto taxi drivers. the helmet issue is not what this post was about so i'll leave that

RE - A Bangkok office worker in her 30s, who asked not to be named, said police should not impose a ban on sunglasses as such a “petty” regulation could affect traffic police duties.

Yes, there is a certain risk that without sunglasses you can be blinded by bribes, which in turn could affect other traffic tasks whatever they might be.....:coffee1:

• Haha 1

Just another something to think about..........

About 'Thailand's Finest'..........

I know this girl, 22 year old and has 2 kids by run-away Thai man fathers.......

She was tired of selling her body in a massage shop and I helped her re-locate back to living in Udon with her Grandma....... She found work in a local restaruant for 6,000 baht, 8,000 after 3 months...... Working about 2 weeks a male customer was touching her body sexually and offered 2,000 baht for her to go to a hotel with him...... She complained to the boss and then she laid out of work for a couple days....... about that time I called her and she told me the story........

I suggested that she tell the Thai Guy to 'back-off' or she will talk to the police............... guess what????............. She replied to me........... He is a POLICE..........

And our present PM (who Probably is in the same class as that cop) is talking to Thai's about trying to wipe out prostitution and clean up Thailand's 'Face'.............

My Thai wife has 2 of her 3 brothers that are Thai RTP Cops...... and they are just as bad as the cop mentioned above....

And now they are putting on a show of 'cleaning up the behavior of cops by not wearing 'Sunglasses'..................

Funny or not????????? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

really, well i know many thais that choose to wear sunglasses so find that statement rather strange to be honest and also see many out and about wearing them including moto taxi drivers. the helmet issue is not what this post was about so i'll leave that

I don't see Thai wearing sunglasses, only when they're welding and for that one needs a weldingmask which is much darker and protects the face against uv-light from the weldinglight.

RTP?
What is RTP?

Thai Police !!!

It's the modern version of the Keystone Kops. Now to be seen all over Thailand and in full color.

Edited by metisdead
Troll video removed.

1 minute ago, Thian said:

I don't see Thai wearing sunglasses, only when they're welding and for that one needs a weldingmask which is much darker and protects the face against uv-light from the weldinglight.

yes, like i said i find that very strange. i see thais wearing sunglasses all the time including pretty much all my  family and friends so we can just leave that at that i guess

8 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

what about varifocal glasses .....the ones that change colour with different light conditions??

Varifocals are progressive prescription lenses. You're thinking about photochromic lenses like reactolites. 

• Like 1

Maybe not everybody feels the need to wear sunglasses. If the sun is strong / low i definitely feel uncomfortable without sunglasses, and others will feel like this too. And i think everybody will agree that UV is not good for the eyes.

I agree with what others said before, if they are standing at the intersection and are directing traffic (and cause traffic jams...) they can wear whatever they want.

But as soon as they are talking to another person, for example they are stopping a car or a motorbike, they should be required to remove anything covering their face, like a mask and sunglasses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dustdevil said:

Silly order. Even US cops wear sunglasses. Because sun in your eyes all day, esp. tropical sun, leads to early damage such as cataracts. Why do they think sunglasses are polarized, UV-protected, etc?

Agree. Aside from the health implications even earlier damage is likely through accidents due to limited visibility caused by the relentless glare of the sun. I certainly couldn't drive here without sunglasses unless it was completely overcast. What's wrong with just saying they need to remove sunglasses during face to face dealings with the public? Very poorly thought through as usual with these things

• Like 2