Money, Chiang Mai? Don't Leave Home Without It!

Hanouf

20 hours ago, Justfine said:

Not a bad thing. Humans are better off now than any point in history.

Better off in that we can cure most diseases, make almost anything, have the best education ever, the access to more information than ever, have the ability to house and feed everyone etc.

Unfortunately, we have abused antibiotics till they don't work anymore, ration best health care to the rich, use the internet to publish false information, deprive most people in the world of access to good housing and food, banish the poor and unwanted to live in the street and eat out of garbage tins and work scavenging on rubbish dumps, allow insane people to roam in society, kill other people on an industrial scale, educate poor children in schools that teach nothing, laud actors and musicians, but denigrate people that build and fix, worship money and bad politicians, allow unelected bureaucrats to control us and our own government to spy on us 24/7, kill other people because we disagree with them, destroy the environment, discard our history, allow children to play games involving killing people for hours a day, think talking to imaginary friends on a machine is a rational activity, eat ourselves into obesity while half the human race goes to bed hungry every night, and overwhelmingly we hate, rather than love

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Better off in that we can cure most diseases, make almost anything, have the best education ever, the access to more information than ever, have the ability to house and feed everyone etc.

Unfortunately, we have abused antibiotics till they don't work anymore, ration best health care to the rich, use the internet to publish false information, deprive most people in the world of access to good housing and food, banish the poor and unwanted to live in the street and eat out of garbage tins and work scavenging on rubbish dumps, allow insane people to roam in society, kill other people on an industrial scale, educate poor children in schools that teach nothing, laud actors and musicians, but denigrate people that build and fix, worship money and bad politicians, allow unelected bureaucrats to control us and our own government to spy on us 24/7, kill other people because we disagree with them, destroy the environment, discard our history, allow children to play games involving killing people for hours a day, think talking to imaginary friends on a machine is a rational activity, eat ourselves into obesity while half the human race goes to bed hungry every night, and overwhelmingly we hate, rather than love

Most negative rant I've seen.

There was far more poverty, disease, death and violence before.

Try being positive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, cool man! Oh, wait a minute,,,,,I forgot we are no longer in the 1960 & 70s. Dudes,,,,,,,, this has been an amazing futile exercise in selective perception and self perceived omnipresence of those living in their own little comfortable bubbles in Chiang Mai; If I did not witness it, it could not have possibly happened!!!!! The self denial tactics are on full display when diverting away from the main point of the discussion, by attempting to poke holes of issue on the margins that are not directly related to the main point.

Dudes, some of you folks need to run for for political office or work for corporate media. Hay, sincerely, you are really good at it. I guess, after thousands to tens of thousands of posts, you should be good at it!!!!! Again, it may just be an obsessive/compulsive issue.

My mom used to tell me, back in the day, to turn off the TV when she caught me watching too much Saturday Night Live. Ask your mom, she will tell you to just step back, step back, step back, and turn off the Iphone and/or computer. Its not good for your mental health....and get some fresh air. 

4 hours ago, Hanouf said:

Wow, cool man! Oh, wait a minute,,,,,I forgot we are no longer in the 1960 & 70s. Dudes,,,,,,,, this has been an amazing futile exercise in selective perception and self perceived omnipresence of those living in their own little comfortable bubbles in Chiang Mai; If I did not witness it, it could not have possibly happened!!!!! The self denial tactics are on full display when diverting away from the main point of the discussion, by attempting to poke holes of issue on the margins that are not directly related to the main point.

Dudes, some of you folks need to run for for political office or work for corporate media. Hay, sincerely, you are really good at it. I guess, after thousands to tens of thousands of posts, you should be good at it!!!!! Again, it may just be an obsessive/compulsive issue.

My mom used to tell me, back in the day, to turn off the TV when she caught me watching too much Saturday Night Live. Ask your mom, she will tell you to just step back, step back, step back, and turn off the Iphone and/or computer. Its not good for your mental health....and get some fresh air. 

More word salad.  If there is a point in there, I missed it.

I was offered a hand shandy from a French backpacker girl once in CM in return for $50. She was quite attractive too for a traveller type.

Needless to say I told her to go and.........(you know the rest).

Backpacking in Thailand is not cheap anymore. Back in my days one could easily afford a private room anywhere in SE Asia (even Singapora). These days most youngsters can only afford skanky dorm beds.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:59 AM, j8k said:

I was offered a hand shandy from a French backpacker girl once in CM in return for $50. She was quite attractive too for a traveller type.

Needless to say I told her to go and.........(you know the rest).

Backpacking in Thailand is not cheap anymore. Back in my days one could easily afford a private room anywhere in SE Asia (even Singapora). These days most youngsters can only afford skanky dorm beds.

Given that some dorm rooms are as much as a cheap hotel/ guest house room, I don't think cost is a major factor. Also, they all have mephones and expensive gear, so not poor IMO.

I think they just don't realise that they can get cheap places to stay, or they like travelling around in a flock.

I came to doubt their sense when I kept seeing them with their faces in their machines while the wonder of LOS is all about them.

The other thing would be that they do everything on line, and the trendy dorm places will have a better website than a cheap guest house. To that sort, if it's not on line it doesn't exist. Their loss, IMO.

• Like 1

I'm not really certain of the definition of the term "shanky".   The Urban dictionary defines it as an adjective for someone who steals or plagiarizes the work of others.  I think, however, that j8k was intending to imply that the hostel dorm rooms in Chiang Mai are unclean and unsavory.  More like "skanky".

There have been many new hostels opening in CM in the past several years and I've seen the inside of some when making reservations for others.  I've got to say, I've been impressed with the clever design of the dorm rooms, with wifi, and every bed has a reading light, electric socket, shelf for glasses and electronic devices, nice large storage lockers and there are good, clean toilet/bathing facilities.  24/7 availability of hot water for tea, coffee, noodles and usually some sort of breakfast spread available, plus tour booking services.  All for usually about 200 baht/night.  Way better than the older guesthouses in the Old City, where yes you get a "private" room, but at a higher price and with questionable cleanliness and amenities or security for your belongings.  

Would I stay in one of the new hostels -- well no, but I'm not traveling on a budget of 200 baht/night for accommodation, either.  But, it's nice to see such good options exist.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

I'm not really certain of the definition of the term "shanky".   The Urban dictionary defines it as an adjective for someone who steals or plagiarizes the work of others.  I think, however, that j8k was intending to imply that the hostel dorm rooms in Chiang Mai are unclean and unsavory.  More like "skanky".

There have been many new hostels opening in CM in the past several years and I've seen the inside of some when making reservations for others.  I've got to say, I've been impressed with the clever design of the dorm rooms, with wifi, and every bed has a reading light, electric socket, shelf for glasses and electronic devices, nice large storage lockers and there are good, clean toilet/bathing facilities.  24/7 availability of hot water for tea, coffee, noodles and usually some sort of breakfast spread available, plus tour booking services.  All for usually about 200 baht/night.  Way better than the older guesthouses in the Old City, where yes you get a "private" room, but at a higher price and with questionable cleanliness and amenities or security for your belongings.  

Would I stay in one of the new hostels -- well no, but I'm not traveling on a budget of 200 baht/night for accommodation, either.  But, it's nice to see such good options exist.

I'd happily pay a few hundred baht more ( and I've paid more than that in Europe ) to stay in a room by myself, regardless of age of accomodation. Even the cheapest places have ensuite now.

Last time I stayed in a dorm, I had to get aggro to stop a woman blabbing on interminably to her boyfriend ( in the male only room ) while I was trying to sleep.

No savings is worth putting up with 7 other people in the same room, and I've never slept in a dorm without squeaky bunks.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd happily pay a few hundred baht more ( and I've paid more than that in Europe ) to stay in a room by myself, regardless of age of accomodation. Even the cheapest places have ensuite now.

Last time I stayed in a dorm, I had to get aggro to stop a woman blabbing on interminably to her boyfriend ( in the male only room ) while I was trying to sleep.

No savings is worth putting up with 7 other people in the same room, and I've never slept in a dorm without squeaky bunks.

Oh, I somehow survived college where my sorority house had dorm rooms with anywhere from 6 to 10 beds in a room, all bunkbeds.  Now, mind you we did have a strict no talking (and no members of the opposite sex) policy and anyone who was stupid enough to have an early morning class and hit the snooze feature on her alarm, soon found that the device was thrown out the window by those of us whose first class was at 10 am.  It was during this time that I first started to wear earplugs to bed every night and still do.  They come in handy in a marriage, too.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, NancyL said:

Perhaps he meant "shonky".

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps he meant "shonky".

Oh, that's a new word for me.  Yes, perhaps that is what he meant -- "of poor or dubious quality"  I just love the way that Chiang Mai is an intersection of so many different English-speaking cultures and I can pick up slang from all over.  And to think, I didn't know what w*nK*r meant before moving to Chiang Mai.  Thank god for the Urban Dictionary online.