looking for a bank in bangkok to open account . They all refuse.

Hello 

I have been in bangkok 4 days now i have asked almost 14 banks about opening a bank account with my non-o (marriage visa).

All answer  same "we can't do without work permit" they don't even want to listen that i have a marriage visa and i need to put 400k in a Thai bank! How can i do without an account?:)

All banks around don muang - pak kret. Didn't visit any banks except this areas but also it is very time consuming looking for banks every shopping center:)

Can someone recomend me a bank in bangkok that can open a NON-o visa farang bank account.?

If any left.

Thanks

bangkok bank silom branch will open accounts

if you have a letter from the embassy confirming

your passport.

i found that they will accept some other document

with an embassy stamp and your passport number. 

maybe you have your affidavit of freedom to marry

or similar.

• Like 1

Is the Bangkok area where you will live and if not open the account in the region where you will reside to avoid charges for deposits etc. from the bank of the same name but different profit centers. It’s been a few years so policies may have changed but I went with Bangkok Bank upcountry with a marriage visa and wasn’t blocked from opening without a work permit. Just had to have a Thai government worker vouch and fill out all the papers.
I’ve also read Citibank being global is an option to consider but I don’t know how many locations they have in bkk or any presence throughout the rest of Thailand.
Someone will be along to tell you to keep trying banks or to request speaking with a superior and tell them you don’t need a work permit to open an account in 3,2,1,,,

• Like 1

you'd be best to head into town for the day from where you are and try around asok where they are used to foreigners and know they can open accounts on your Non O. You're a bit out of the way so they probably hardly ever see a foreigner so fob you off

• Like 1

I just went through the same thing 4 months ago when I returned after a few years back in the states. I have a Non Imm O spousal visa, retired so no work permit. I was turned down by several banks, including two Bangkok Bank branches, even though I had a previous Bangkok Bank account in good standing for 9 years and my old bank books with me.

They are much more reluctant to do the paperwork if they don't have to, and of foreigners opening accounts, especially Americans I think, because of pressure from our government about foreign accounts and money laundering.  When I finally found a Bangkok Bank branch that would open an account for me, I had to fill out a US IRS W-2 form for income reporting. 

What it came down to for me was finding a receptive bank manager and having verification of residence. If you are in a hotel that might not work. They wanted the residence verification from the US Embassy. Which is a pain in the butt and 50 bucks.  I also took a copy of my TM-30. And it turned out to be essential to have my wife along with her ID and Tabien Baan. They wanted it all. It's just a CYA thing, cover their butts in case we turn out to be criminals. 

Try the larger branches where they have a foreign exchange section and English speaking staff who are used to dealing with foreigners.  But I ended up at a mini-branch at a Robinson shopping mall in a suburb where no one speaks English. So it really doesn't matter except to keep trying, and have all your paperwork, Thai wife, presentable appearance, patience and a smile.  

Good luck.  

• Like 2

Fwiiw, although I also have a Bangkok Bank account, I have found Kasikorn and Siam Commercial easier to deal with. That said, I have not opened a new account for a couple of years, so my experience is not recent.

2 hours ago, nkg said:

Kasikorn are generally held to be the easiest for getting a Thai bank account. I got an account there with a tourist visa in my passport, all done in 10 minutes.

Oh Really?

What branch and who was your contact ??

The banks tighten the rules a bit more all the time, so that it can really become a bit difficult to open an Account today.

1.5 years ago it was very easy to open one at Krungsri, but they also tightened the rules and somebody reported that he was not able to open one, even though the bank manager told me that it is, see this thread: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1027199-girlfriend-very-keen-to-register-me-at-her-family-home/

Somebody in this thread that UOB should be easy, so maybe give it a try.

With a non-o Visa you should be able to an Account at nearly all banks, but if you can't speak Thai it's probably difficult, yes.

By seeing how much trouble people have to open bank accounts, i wonder is there no company providing assistance when opening a Bank account?

37 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The banks tighten the rules a bit more all the time, so that it can really become a bit difficult to open an Account today.

1.5 years ago it was very easy to open one at Krungsri, but they also tightened the rules and somebody reported that he was not able to open one, even though the bank manager told me that it is, see this thread: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1027199-girlfriend-very-keen-to-register-me-at-her-family-home/

Somebody in this thread that UOB should be easy, so maybe give it a try.

With a non-o Visa you should be able to an Account at nearly all banks, but if you can't speak Thai it's probably difficult, yes.

By seeing how much trouble people have to open bank accounts, i wonder is there no company providing assistance when opening a Bank account?

Agencies will help open one for a fee.

Just go to about any of them on Soi 13 Sukhumvit and they will assist you.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Is the Bangkok area where you will live and if not open the account in the region where you will reside to avoid charges for deposits etc. from the bank of the same name but different profit centers. It’s been a few years so policies may have changed but I went with Bangkok Bank upcountry with a marriage visa and wasn’t blocked from opening without a work permit. Just had to have a Thai government worker vouch and fill out all the papers.
I’ve also read Citibank being global is an option to consider but I don’t know how many locations they have in bkk or any presence throughout the rest of Thailand.
Someone will be along to tell you to keep trying banks or to request speaking with a superior and tell them you don’t need a work permit to open an account in 3,2,1,,,

No it has not changed. I posed the question of opening an account in Krung Sri Bank yesterday. To me they said that I need my passport, and the owner of the house confirming my address.
That is on the same Non-O visa without work permit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

No it has not changed. I posed the question of opening an account in Krung Sri Bank yesterday. To me they said that I need my passport, and the owner of the house confirming my address.
That is on the same Non-O visa without work permit.

Which branch and who was the contact?

There are again on this topic, so many he said, she said, on opening an account.  Most outdated or fabricated.

It is funny how not many,  or truly no one can name a specific branch and the name of the contact to open such accounts......

Just go to your embassy and register your address. Get it printed and stamped. The bank just want to see you are living in thailand. I just did it for a friend who even did not have a visa, just stamped in for 30 days.  Kasikorn or bangkok bank from asoke to Nana .

Edited by Mann33bkk

Just now, bkk6060 said:

There are again on this topic, so many he said, she said, on opening an account.  Most outdated or fabricated.

It is funny how not many,  or truly no one can name a specific branch and the name of the contact to open such accounts......

the reason being that it depends on the people in the branch on the day and whether they can be arsed or not. i would recommend going to any kasikorn bank around the asok part of suckumvit with passport and rental agreement and 500 baht and they'll open you're account.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mann33bkk said:

Just go to your embassy and register your address. Gwr it printed and stamper. The bank just want to see you are living in thailand. I just did it For a friend who even did not have s visa, just stanped in For 30 days.  Kasikorn or bangkok bank from asoke to Nana .

going to the embassy is hassle. not needed by kbank from any of what my friends have said recently

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

There it is.  Your friends. 

He said she said.

they were opening accounts in kbank 2 weeks ago on tourist visas before setting off backpacking. you asked for advice and i gave it. don't take it then. not my loss is it

• Like 2