Thai Xenophobia

samtam

if you invest 2,000,000 baht you can own 1 rai.

sounds fair enough to me.

No you can't.

Must be a misprint in the Lonely Planet Tourist Handbook :D

yep,a little gem.Terry, where do you get your stuff?

cricky's chok,

i make one little mistake and your sticking the knife in. :D

but that is the nature of the this forum and i love it.

i'll be watching you mate for a bit of pay back. :D :D

besides i was only 38,000,000 baht out so whats the big deal. :o

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Xenophobia, racism, call it what you will, it exists and it exists at a grass-roots level. Example: There I am a few weeks back taking a songtaew home and it comes close to my place so I press the bell to get him to stop however the bell doesn't work so the Thai dude sat close to the driver's end of the cab bangs on the window and says in Thai "This farang wants to get off". Now being as we were the only two passengers in the cab, what was the need to indicate my ethnic origin? Why wasn't it enough just to say "there's a guy here who wants to get off" Imagine I was back in the UK on the bus and a non-caucasian passenger was in the same situation and I bellow to the driver "This black/coloured/Indian/Pakistani/Asian guy wants to get off" Yeah I'd be looking at a whole heap of trouble. The fact is that many Thais do stereotype westerners and the very fact that a single term can be used to label all of us is indicative of a basic ignorance of our respective cultures.

" falang " is a generic term used to describe all foreigner's and has absolutely nothing to do with being xenophobic.

Seems like you missed my point completely Terry. I asked what was the need to make reference to my ethnic origin. There wasn't any and the fact that it occurred is indicative of something deeper.

Xenophobia, racism, call it what you will, it exists and it exists at a grass-roots level. Example: There I am a few weeks back taking a songtaew home and it comes close to my place so I press the bell to get him to stop however the bell doesn't work so the Thai dude sat close to the driver's end of the cab bangs on the window and says in Thai "This farang wants to get off". Now being as we were the only two passengers in the cab, what was the need to indicate my ethnic origin? Why wasn't it enough just to say "there's a guy here who wants to get off" Imagine I was back in the UK on the bus and a non-caucasian passenger was in the same situation and I bellow to the driver "This black/coloured/Indian/Pakistani/Asian guy wants to get off" Yeah I'd be looking at a whole heap of trouble. The fact is that many Thais do stereotype westerners and the very fact that a single term can be used to label all of us is indicative of a basic ignorance of our respective cultures.

" falang " is a generic term used to describe all foreigner's and has absolutely nothing to do with being xenophobic.

Wrong.

Falang = caucasian foreigners.

Chinese, Japanese,Indians,African etc... are not called Falang, there are other terms for them.

je--sus,

i just made another mistake and i better get it sorted before i get slammed again.

its " FARANG " and not FALANG. :o

Seems like you missed my point completely Terry. I asked what was the need to make reference to my ethnic origin. There wasn't any and the fact that it occurred is indicative of something deeper.

Yes, it's indicative that you are rather assuming in this particular situation and paranoid in general.

Wrong.

Falang = caucasian foreigners.

Chinese, Japanese,Indians,African etc... are not called Falang, there are other terms for them.

oh, dont be so pedantic will you as its bloody close enough. :o

and its not falang, its " farang " so get your facts right. :D

you like that come back miss jet?

that was a little ripper aye. :D

No you can't.

I guess it tells us something about the credibility of the poster and his in depth knowledge of Thailand, its laws and culture. :o

Yes, it's indicative that you are rather assuming in this particular situation and paranoid in general.

sorry mate but you have lost me,

what am i assuming and why am i paranoid ?

i though that all the people who think los is xenophobic were paranoid. :o

No you can't.

I guess it tells us something about the credibility of the poster and his in depth knowledge of Thailand, its laws and culture. :o

mate do you think you can keep up with the thread before you start speaking crap like that.

that was sorted ages ago and i made a little mistake.

back to bed with you. :D

Assuming of what? I'm not paranoid at all and I certainly don't get upset everytime someone refers to me as 'farang'. I don't think for one minute that the guy in my example was a bad sort or that his words were intended as any kind of racial slur however, the fact that he, without even thinking about it, saw a need to make a distinction between me and himself and the driver when such a distinction served no useful purpose indicates something about the Thai attitude to foreigners and the way the education system presents us.

We can hardly expect an enlightening discussion on Xenophobia in Thailand when many of those defending or denying the existance of Thai racism and xenophobia are the same people who themselves spout racism and xenophobia.

That alone limits the scope of discussion irrespective of other limitations to their capacity for critical thought.

I'd also add, while xenophobia clearly exists in Thailand, the comment 'If you don't like it go home' is only ever heard from these self same bigots who would deny anyone an opinion to which they themselves do not subscribe.

Or perhaps we ourselves should have some understanding and consider, they are objecting to views they don’t comprehend.

Read the posts of anyone who tells others ‘if you don’t like it go home’ and the lack of intellect is blazingly evident. A half witted argument for half witted people.

Edited by GuestHouse

Assuming of what? I'm not paranoid at all and I certainly don't get upset everytime someone refers to me as 'farang'. I don't think for one minute that the guy in my example was a bad sort or that his words were intended as any kind of racial slur however, the fact that he, without even thinking about it, saw a need to make a distinction between me and himself and the driver when such a distinction served no useful purpose indicates something about the Thai attitude to foreigners and the way the education system presents us.

sorry mate,

but what are you going on about?

if you live in thailand you must realise that the thais say these things every time theres a foreigner within coo wee.

whats the big deal.?

they are not politically correct the thai and nor should they be.

We can hardly expect an enlightening discussion on Xenophobia in Thailand when many of those defending or denying the existance of Thai racism and xenophobia are the same people who themselves spout racism and xenophobia.

That alone limits the scope of discussion irrespective of other limitations to their capacity for critical thought.

I'd also add, while xenophobia clearly exists in Thailand, the comment 'If you don't like it go home' is only ever heard from these self same bigots who would deny anyone an opinion to which they themselves do not subscribe.

Or perhaps we ourselves should have some understanding and consider, they are objecting to views they don’t comprehend.

Read the posts of anyone who tells others ‘if you don’t like it go home’ and the lack of intellect is blazingly evident. A half witted argument for half witted people.

Seconded.

30,000 years ago, we were just a bunch of Cro-magdon men, sitting around flinging our crap at each other. Present day- homo sapiens, sitting around flinging our e-crap at each other. Ain't evolution grand?

i must be xenophobic, as if i had my way foreigner's would not be able to own land in australia.

we have the rediculous situation where any foreigner with enough money can walk in and buy land.

the japanese own most of queensland, bringing there own people in, and the money goes strait back to japan.

because they are so rich the price of land has sky rocketed because they can afford to pay any price.

who loses?

the average australian who can no longer afford to buy land and a house.

im lucky, i already have my own realestate but there's a generation of australians who will have nothing.

why should our government allow foreigner's to buy land?

For once El Tel you are spot on!!

You are xenophobic!!

Who is it that sells all this land to the "invading Japanese"??? Could it be your fellow countrymen by any chance?

This is the exact same small mindedness we are discussing here... the country you are so proud of is changing and quickly, so you blame it all on the fact that "foreigners" are allowed to buy land in Australia. It is ridiculous to think that you can stick a flag in the ground now and say this is my country and we will not allow anyone who does not belong here to buy a part of it.

I don't know the economics of the Australian housing market, but I don't see the connection between Japanese investment in Queensland and the overall rise in house prices.

There is certainly a similarity between Thai xenophobia and your own though, it's a too simple assumption that it all must be the fault of the foreigner and not the person selling the land and making a big juicy profit.

[quote name=chuchok'

mate do you think you can keep up with the thread before you start speaking crap like that.

that was sorted ages ago and i made a little mistake.

back to bed with you. :bah:

I've just got up :D

So commenting on a 38 million Baht little mistake is crap eh? :D

And your little mistaken comment was aimed at me, you know.

So when us of more advanced years manage to ease our creaking bodies into our office chairs, we are denied the right of reply because you 'sorted it ages ago' :D

Good morning everyone, I see it's a lovely fresh morning in xenophobic Thailand, and the thread is alive and well :bah:

I wonder what further pearls of wisdom will be posted here before sundown :D

You are a good debater, GH. Law background? Democratic party advisor a la Karl Rove (oh, sorry, wrong party)? Do not always agree wtih you, but that is another subject to politely tussle with while sipping port after dinner.

I do beg to differ, sir, on your last statement. I would say these posties are full-witted arguments by half-witted people.

sorry mate,

but what are you going on about?

if you live in thailand you must realise that the thais say these things every time theres a foreigner within coo wee.

whats the big deal.?

they are not politically correct the thai and nor should they be.

You've declared outright throughout this thread that xenophobia doesn't exist in Thailand and yet you state that political incorrectness does....strikes me that the two are pretty closely related.

Again you've missed my point. I'm not trying to start a new discussion on the validity of the word 'farang', I'm merely trying to suggest for the benefit of those who say xenophobia isn't present, that prejudices begin at a basic level and are an inherent part of Thai society. I refer back to my original point, would any western country tolerate a white man making reference to the ethnic origin of a non-caucasian when it had no relevancy to the situation?

I wonder what further pearls of wisdom will be posted here before sundown :D

Not many more if the discussions continue in this vein. And that's directed at many in particular.

:o

Back on topic folks and cut the personal attacks and tone down the language... or warnings/holidays will be issued and this thread closed.

explain this to me guesthouse as im confused by the very thought.

if a person is not happy where they are and they have a country to go home to, ( as in your case the might blighty ) why would they continue to stay in a place they are not happy with.

10,000,000 people a year visit thailand so it must be doing something right.

the people that tend to moan about los are the ones that live here full time, so if that is the case why not pack your bags and leave.

its a very valid question and you cannot dismiss it by throwing up a rubbish comment that states " a half witted arguement for half witted people "

no one is forced to stay anywhere, so we must be happy in our adopted country dont you think ?

absolutely no point in being there if you are not.

you are a prime offender when it comes to negativity about los, so i say to you why are you here ?

why not stay in rome or england where you could possibly be a happy person and live happily ever after.

this is only an observation of you by the way you right about los.

i must be xenophobic, as if i had my way foreigner's would not be able to own land in australia.

we have the rediculous situation where any foreigner with enough money can walk in and buy land.

the japanese own most of queensland, bringing there own people in, and the money goes strait back to japan.

because they are so rich the price of land has sky rocketed because they can afford to pay any price.

who loses?

the average australian who can no longer afford to buy land and a house.

im lucky, i already have my own realestate but there's a generation of australians who will have nothing.

why should our government allow foreigner's to buy land?

For once El Tel you are spot on!!

You are xenophobic!!

Who is it that sells all this land to the "invading Japanese"??? Could it be your fellow countrymen by any chance?

This is the exact same small mindedness we are discussing here... the country you are so proud of is changing and quickly, so you blame it all on the fact that "foreigners" are allowed to buy land in Australia. It is ridiculous to think that you can stick a flag in the ground now and say this is my country and we will not allow anyone who does not belong here to buy a part of it.

I don't know the economics of the Australian housing market, but I don't see the connection between Japanese investment in Queensland and the overall rise in house prices.

There is certainly a similarity between Thai xenophobia and your own though, it's a too simple assumption that it all must be the fault of the foreigner and not the person selling the land and making a big juicy profit.

flint if you lived in aussie you would know exactly what im getting at, but you dont so cheers mate. :o

Terry,

This xenophobic image you have of the Japanese and other foreigners taking over Australia, is that based on reality, or is it something you dreamed up?

I know you're 'reality challenged' so I'd like to know are you are xenophobe in real life, or just a xenphobe in your dreams?

if a person is not happy where they are and they have a country to go home to, ( as in your case the might blighty ) why would they continue to stay in a place they are not happy with.

Your strawman-arguments against Guesthouse is tidious but they are also off-topic. Please don't force this thread into an early retirement.

Terry,

This xenophobic image you have of the Japanese and other foreigners taking over Australia, is that based on reality, or is it something you dreamed up?

I know you're 'reality challenged' so I'd like to know are you are xenophobe in real life, or just a xenphobe in your dreams?

You are going to crash this thread, GH. Please attack the view of the poster, not the person.

I've just got up :D

Can I bring you a cuppa tea, Mr Mobi? :D

Yes please, made with Loose Yorkshire tea leaves, a seperate milk jug, a cup not a mug, and make sure you warm the pot first. :D

And how about a nice slice of hot buttered toast? :o

Now, back to xenophobia.......

Your strawman-arguments against Guesthouse is tidious but they are also off-topic. Please don't force this thread into an early retirement.

the arguments i raise are not aimed at guesthouse but in response to his posts and his thoughts.

i use his own thoughts in presenting the case.

a very strait question that requires a very straight answer.

do you intent to provide an answer to the question.?

once again guesthouse has skirted the question and presented myself as a xenophobe.

im still waiting for an answer.?

Terry,

they have already taken over queensland guesthouse.

the japs mostly own cairns as the government let them buy it all up.

but you would not know would you.?

keep on subject and dont attack me as you'll kill the thread.