Immigration no longer issue Certificate of Residence

On 3/9/2018 at 6:28 AM, akampa said:

Just got my C o R to renew driving licence  in Chiang Mai   took 2 weeks at the immigration office for free.

Same in Phitsanulok. But I am a bit worried as my Driving Licence is not due for re-newal until Dec 28th, more than a month from now. Will the C of R still be valid anyone?

On 3/8/2018 at 11:28 AM, Tanoshi said:

You could also try your local Police Station who have templates for Certificates of Residence.

Amphurs are another option, rather than the expense of using your Embassy.

My office still issue C of R's, but now require a letter from the DLT requesting the C of R.

Still issued free though, unlike some offices.

So the Imm Office requests a letter from the DLT to issue a C of R, you take it to Imm Office, get one, and take it back to DLT.

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Same in Phitsanulok. But I am a bit worried as my Driving Licence is not due for re-newal until Dec 28th, more than a month from now. Will the C of R still be valid anyone?

You can apply for your new DL up to 2 months prior to it's renewal date, at least at mine you can.

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

So the Imm Office requests a letter from the DLT to issue a C of R, you take it to Imm Office, get one, and take it back to DLT.

In Roi Et yes. They request a letter from the body that needs your proof of address, then they issue the COR directly addressed to them, same day, free of charge.

They now do it this way because people were abusing the system before.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You can apply for your new DL up to 2 months prior to it's renewal date, at least at mine you can.

In Roi Et yes. They request a letter from the body that needs your proof of address, then they issue the COR directly addressed to them, same day, free of charge.

They now do it this way because people were abusing the system before.

Thanks for the info. I did read that if you go to re-new your DL after the expiry date, the new one will run for 5 years plus up to your next birthday. So go the day after your birthday and you get 6 years instead of 5. But in the words of Jonny Logan 'What's Another Year?'

11 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Thanks for the info. I did read that if you go to re-new your DL after the expiry date, the new one will run for 5 years plus up to your next birthday. So go the day after your birthday and you get 6 years instead of 5. But in the words of Jonny Logan 'What's Another Year?'

Maybe this is what you were referring to, but it isn't really clear. If you are going from a 2 year temporary license to a five year permanent license and you wait until after the 2 years expires, you will get another 2 year license. If you renew the 2 year before it expires you will receive a 5 year permanent. However if you are going from a previous 5 year permanent, to a new 5 year, then if you wait until after the expire date you get the 6 years minus a little, if you go before the 5 year permanent license expires you will get another 5 years.  Just so some understand the difference in a temporary and permanent renewals. No International licenses are issued on temporary, only permanent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Every DLT has it's own little quirks with requirements.

At mine, if more than a month overdue, you have to take the full driving test to obtain a replacement licence.

As BobTH commented, the first time you renew the temp 2 year licence for the 5 year licence, it's dated to expire 5 years from your birthdate, so it could be valid for 5yr 1 month, or 5yr 11 month.

Thereafter it's usually dated 5 years from the expiry date. No extra at mine for being late up to a month, but a penalty of sitting the full test if later than a month.

They don't send a reminder when it's due, the prompt to check is your birthday.

• Thanks 1