U.S. Holocaust museum rescinds award to Myanmar's Suu Kyi

webfact

That’s their prerogative, take it back. I think it’s ridiculous that they presume to issue “awards” in the first place, and then make a big deal about rescinding them.

Anyway, I’ll leave it with this comment. It’s so absurd that it isn’t worth further discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
Have you been there or visiting their website?

If so, you might not find their activism against genocide site so absurd.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

I think some of the responses have to do with the tendency to idealize and/or idolize political figures. The more they are hyped, the greater the outrage and sense of betrayal when they fail to live up to the projected image. 

Most people (political leaders included) aren't really zealots or may not even apply their ideals in a consistent manner. This can be attributed to many factors, often working in conjunction with each other. Focusing on one apparent "reason" to explain a course of action taken, offers a limited interpretation, and probably ignores a great deal of relevant issues.

She was cast as hero long ago. People saw what they wanted to see. Maybe she's not quite what people thought she was. Does it make her a fraud? I don't know. Don't think the Rohingya issue was the main dish on the menu back when she was being cast as Myanmar's moral compass or something. Quite probably she's still "good" (as another poster put it), just not as "good" as expected or "good" within the limitations of her own society and political situation.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Morch said:

I think some of the responses have to do with the tendency to idealize and/or idolize political figures. The more they are hyped, the greater the outrage and sense of betrayal when they fail to live up to the projected image. 

Most people (political leaders included) aren't really zealots or may not even apply their ideals in a consistent manner. This can be attributed to many factors, often working in conjunction with each other. Focusing on one apparent "reason" to explain a course of action taken, offers a limited interpretation, and probably ignores a great deal of relevant issues.

She was cast as hero long ago. People saw what they wanted to see. Maybe she's not quite what people thought she was. Does it make her a fraud? I don't know. Don't think the Rohingya issue was the main dish on the menu back when she was being cast as Myanmar's moral compass or something. Quite probably she's still "good" (as another poster put it), just not as "good" as expected or "good" within the limitations of her own society and political situation.

I'm trusting Bill Richardson's take on her current level of so called goodness. But you're right that the myth of her was probably overdone before. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm trusting Bill Richardson's take on her current level of so called goodness. But you're right that the myth of her was probably overdone before. 

Living in a cocoon assumes she subscribed and subscribes to the same hymnbook of ideals. I'm suggesting that may not be the case. As he points out there's some difference between Western and Asian views on these matters. Also, to relate to another thing he touches upon - it's easier taking an idealistic higher ground while being the opposition. And while with great power comes great responsibility, it's actually responsibilities - meaning more things to consider, more ideals that might be compromised.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Air Smiles said:

Where does The Holocaust Museum place Israel on the goodness scale seeing as they also ignore the UN regarding human rights abuse?

The Israeli-Palestinian conflict doesn't make their cut for covering genocides. If you disagree, you're free to contact them. Not on topic here though.

Here are the areas that are making their current list --

https://www.ushmm.org/confront-genocide/cases

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, Morch said:

Living in a cocoon assumes she subscribed and subscribes to the same hymnbook of ideals. I'm suggesting that may not be the case. As he points out there's some difference between Western and Asian views on these matters. Also, to relate to another thing he touches upon - it's easier taking an idealistic higher ground while being the opposition. And while with great power comes great responsibility, it's actually responsibilities - meaning more things to consider, more ideals that might be compromised.

Right. Turns out she is no saint, eastern, western, or in between. I think taking the award away was reasonable. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No. Not just because of what they say of course. You just made that up. Your posts here are poisoned by an irrational bias. It's there for anyone to see that Su Kyi has not acted admirably on the Rohingya issue.

What was she given the award for? I don't think it was for her position on the Rohingyi issue.  So why take it off her because of her position on the Rohingyi issue.

This is what happens when you stray outside your bailliewick

SC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StreetCowboy said:

What was she given the award for? I don't think it was for her position on the Rohingyi issue.  So why take it off her because of her position on the Rohingyi issue.

This is what happens when you stray outside your bailliewick

SC

You really don't understand what their "bailliewick" is then, do you?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sanemax said:

The Burmese do not want the Rohinga living in their Country , they are just trouble makers who are now unwelcome and they should go back to Bangladesh

None of which justifies the War Crimes of Ethnic Cleansing and targeted murder / rape of civilians.

Rohingya enjoyed equal rights at the time of Burmese Independence. Later they were subjected to collective punishment for armed resistance by some and were all stripped of their citizenship. Severe oppression of the Rohingya for decades is well documented. It is known extremist Buddhist Nationalists have weaponised racism.

History claims Muslims originally settled in the area in the 15th century. Later  in 1784, the Buddhist kingdom attacked and absorbed the then Muslim ruled area to the North. And so it goes on; a brief history is at the URL below.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/tracing-history-tension-between-rohingya-muslims-buddhists-date-back-to-british-rule/story-9mo9eTjOaJ4JQmXGef0BHL.html

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

I  give full matks to  them in this instance.

I see nothing regarding Israel on this thread.

Any chance of giving me another "sad" without directly quoting me?

Anything else is sotto voce,of course.

Addit-my apologies as you did quote me but it came thru' late

Have you heard the old adage  "people who live in glass houses should not throw stones"? 

do you think it is about houses?

Edited by sirineou

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

One may live in the Chrystal Palace as far as I am concerned but,nevertheless,you may still have to open the front door,observe the refugees trudging past and say to yourself "What the heck is going on?"

The head of state needs to take some responsibility for what is happening outside her front door.

I have no problem with the message, my problem is with the messenger.

7 hours ago, FreddieRoyle said:

I've removed your post from my reply as will not repeat the nauseating apologist content for the War Crimes of Ethnic Cleansing and collective punishment of civilians. Yet another reprehensible post by you.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, simple1 said:

If it is accurate Suu Kyi cannot speak out and so on, all she is a front for the brutal military dictatorship. For the sake of her credibility she should resign.

Correct, the old frats probably beat the fighting spirit out of her. Now she is lame.

On 3/9/2018 at 11:10 PM, Jingthing said:

Right. Turns out she is no saint, eastern, western, or in between. I think taking the award away was reasonable. 

I think one problem is bestowing such honors on acting politicians, especially heads of state and such. Most times, the award given is either more about the ideals of the organization overseeing it, or related to a specific part of the recipient's career. As pointed out in a previous post, given time, most politicians/leader are destined to fall short of the supposed ideals attached to their name. All the more so when considering that political circumstances (and related policies) are often in a flux. Then there are them "peace" awards which cover a whole lot of territory (or some would say,, none at all) - kinda iffy giving them before the aftermath of situations is clear. Ought to be more of a lifetime achievement thing.