Thai Customs Department steps in to calm public outcry over pre-departure declaration rule

webfact

Customs Department steps in to calm public outcry over pre-departure declaration rule

ff.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, 9th March 2018 - The Customs Department has stepped in to calm public frustration and outcry over its latest notifications, including an apparent requirement for travelers to declare their personal effects before departing the country. 

Deputy Director-General of the Customs Department, Chaiyuth Khankun said on Thursday that the notification at the center of public attention, requiring travelers to declare such personal effects as watches, video cameras and computer notebooks before leaving the country, is not intended to be compulsory but has been initiated to facilitate the intentions of some travelers, who plan to take some items out of the country only to bring them back later.

According to the much-criticized notification, which has been in effect since February 26, travelers who wish to make such a declaration, can report to an on-duty customs official to have all such items recorded and use the issued copy of record to prove they are not newly-acquired items that are subject to import duties when they re-enter Thailand with the traveler. 

Mr. Chaiyuth said that the declaration process will take no more than 10 minutes to complete.

Nevertheless, he conceded that this notification includes some information, which appears confusing to the public, and the Customs Department has already started working with related agencies to make adjustments to it in order to help the public gain a better understanding, tentatively within a week.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-03-09

7 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Such a ridiculous story considering the deputy PM has over 25 luxury watches that were all undeclared. 

"Not only do we not follow our own rules - we make sure you do!"

NO your wrong...they are not his...just "loaned" by friends....:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

• Haha 1

yep a CLOSE FRIEND, and who has died, and bugger i cannot remember his name, if the guys memory is that bad what in gods name is he doing in office,and today is FRIDAY or is it SATURDAY???  duh !!

Edited by mercman24

25 minutes ago, webfact said:

initiated to facilitate the intentions of some travelers, who plan to take some items out of the country only to bring them back later

This is leaving the door wide open for abuse. The requirement will be selectively enforced, depending on who you are, or how profitable it could be for the officer on duty at the time of your arrival.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So if i buy something expensive in my own country such as a phone or a computer then why the f#×* is it the Thai customs' business if i bring it back with me the next time I come.

More numbskullery being spouted by those at the top

Perhaps this is for Thai residents, not tourists? Why do people automatically assume everything is a personal assault. Most counties have value limits for importation by residents.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Sealbash said:

Perhaps this is for Thai residents, not tourists? Why do people automatically assume everything is a personal assault. Most counties have value limits for importation by residents.

1/ So most counties have the same limitations for their citizens for the re-import of smart phones, jewelry, etc?

2/ What about foreigners married to thai citizens? How to prove who owns what?

The regulation is wide open to abuse and shows once again that army bureaucrats and their brown nosers should not not be in charge of the economy.

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, z42 said:

So if i buy something expensive in my own country such as a phone or a computer then why the f#×* is it the Thai customs' business if i bring it back with me the next time I come.

"Money makes the world go round..the world go round.."

There is no doubt that they have grown envious of their counterparts in other branches  of the civil service

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, z42 said:

They used to check the contents of luggage of passengers travelling between Dublin and London return and between other European states until we got the EEC, then later EU. Now we can see this happening again with Brexit!

Not only in Thailand does this kind of 'numbskullery' occur!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, car720 said:

This is perfectly true but why open your post with such a cutting remark?

Okay - I'll take that part back. I admit to having grown somewhat impatient with people refusing to inform themselves.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

So tourists should bring all their receipts for their cameras, dive gear, laptops, tablets, smartphones, designer clothes, handbags, luggage, watches, etc?

Away and take a running jump ya nugget! :laugh:

On an equally friendly note: as stupid and inadequately low the limits may be, it's generally accepted practice by customs in most countries to let expensive items like notebooks, cameras and mobiles through without a commotion. That's as far as tourists go, who will take the gear out of the country again. From the viewpoint of a country, someone going shopping abroad (because prices are lower) and importing stuff without paying VAT/duty creates a loss for the country. It's as simple as that.

Edited by AsiaCheese
an "s" added :-)
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, AsiaCheese said:

On an equally friendly note: as stupid and inadequately low the limits may be, it's generally accepted practice by customs in most countries to let expensive items like notebooks, cameras and mobiles through without a commotion. That's as far as tourists go, who will take the gear out of the country again. From the viewpoint of a country, someone going shopping abroad (because prices are lower) and importing stuff without paying VAT/duty creates a loss for the country. It's as simple as that.

So you don't believe in the free market system?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

So you don't believe in the free market system?

Define free market system? As in no import duty on anything anywhere? Doesn't exist. Ask Trump - he's an expert on the subject :partytime2:

On the other hand, VAT has nothing to do with a free market system. It's sales tax - you sell it, you get taxed.

• Like 1

It's not the actual idea that dumb, it's the value limits set that are "a little low".

Not Thailand, but when I was travelling to India on a regular basis we were advised to declare our technology on leaving India to avoid potential issues when re-entering. At the time you were not allowed to bring in more than one laptop, I was using two and was invariably stopped to explain. Having the export declaration smoothed the path considerably. 

I did not notice a value stated in the OP, As an example, The duty free limit in Canada is CDN $800 after a minimum 48 hours outside the country. There are many watches, cameras, and laptops with a value over CDN $800. And customs does and will request proof of purchase of suspect articles.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Customs Department steps in to calm public outcry over pre-departure declaration rule

Sorry everybody peeps, one of our mid level (untrained in cognitive thought) managers had a brain fart and this is the result. Please ignore us and carry on with your everyday business. :jap:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, z42 said:

why do you think it is meant for you? Our for tourists? it is meant for Thais who go shopping overseas and don't declare expensive items on their return to Thailand

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LukKrueng said:

why do you think it is meant for you? Our for tourists? it is meant for Thais who go shopping overseas and don't declare expensive items on their return to Thailand

I think that it is hot air -enough to float 152 Zeppelins,79 Blimps..and a barrage balloon or three..

What say you?

1 hour ago, Sealbash said:

I did not notice a value stated in the OP, As an example, The duty free limit in Canada is CDN $800 after a minimum 48 hours outside the country. There are many watches, cameras, and laptops with a value over CDN $800. And customs does and will request proof of purchase of suspect articles.

It's not in the OP, but IIRC it's set at something like 10k Baht or personal effects may be taxed upon entry (perhaps someone with a better memory can confirm / deny).

I've actually been using this system to avoid hassle as I regularly travel out and back with thousands of dollars worth of electronics and recording gear.  I finally got fed up with hassles on re-entry and got all the receipts for what I had bought locally, paid a small duty on the rest of the gear and had a certificate issued by customs at the airport.  Smooth sailing for three years since then.  In fact almost all the customs officials recognition me at CNX, tell me welcome home,and wave me past the cue.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, z42 said:

this thread is about leaving Thailand

22 hours ago, z42 said:

Because you can buy something in Europe, and if you can prove you live outside Europe you can get back the VAT.

"Bring it back" implies that your formal living address is in Thailand, and you should then pay import duties plus tax on it.

Any numbskull understands that this rule from the ministry naturally only applies to residents of Thailand, right?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Crossy said:

It's not the actual idea that dumb, it's the value limits set that are "a little low".

Not Thailand, but when I was travelling to India on a regular basis we were advised to declare our technology on leaving India to avoid potential issues when re-entering. At the time you were not allowed to bring in more than one laptop, I was using two and was invariably stopped to explain. Having the export declaration smoothed the path considerably. 

I didn't dare to bring my old laptop into thailand for this reason so now my thai cousin can't get my old one which is still much better than the old models sold in Thailand.

But especially for laptops how will they ever be able to check the specs of it and the relating price? They have to open it to see which hardware is inside and yes the new ones are much cheaper abroad in the western world.

Thailand should stop with that importtax cause it sets the Thai behind the rest of the world, same goes for professional power tools which are very expensive here and they only sell old models. That's why somchai can't afford to have good tools which are needed for high standard works.

Thailand better raises it's high income tax and stops with importtax so maybe all the chinese will come here for shopping taxfree during their holidays. In the past Singapore was the taxfree haven but that's also over now....they don't realise how many tourists a country can attract by just being taxfree. Japan already gives cash vat-refunds to tourists shopping there so you don't have to go in the qeueu at the airport for vatrefund...works very well.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bullie said:

Because you can buy something in Europe, and if you can prove you live outside Europe you can get back the VAT.

"Bring it back" implies that your formal living address is in Thailand, and you should then pay import duties plus tax on it.

Any numbskull understands that this rule from the ministry naturally only applies to residents of Thailand, right?

QUOTE: Any numbskull understands that this rule from the ministry naturally only applies to residents of Thailand, right?

Some "numbskulls" will understand that this also applies to our beloved thai wives... and then who is to prove what belongs to us / to thai wife.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2018 at 10:23 AM, Sealbash said:

Why do people automatically assume everything is a personal assault.

Because it is, or has the potential to be intrusive? Anything that comes from "officialdom" here generally has an underlying theme!

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:14 AM, mercman24 said:

just think of it one flight 250 people and each taking 10 minutes, get real IDIOTS, imagine the outbound queues then

Just think of it, how likely it is for every one of those 250 people to have something that is likely to cause duty issues when returning to the country?  Get real.

Edited by Just Weird