Has Pattaya Reached Tipping Point

Tammi

Has Pattaya reached tipping point with respect to its development? Do you think it's now all downhill because of increased street crime, wanton violence, drugs, increasing dissatisfaction with public utility services (water supply, public transport, garbage collection), no user friendly green areas, dirty beaches, stinking drains, traffic increase, traffic signals not working, air pollution, stressed out Thais?

This morning I walked along Dongtan beach. The walking road is filthy. The smell of sour garbage hung over everything. Palm trees are unkempt. Green corrugated iron fence looks awful and garbage is being dumped behind it wherever it's open. I looked at the faces of all the tourists I met and didn't see one smiling. If I were a regular tourist there's no way I would make a return visit. In Jomthien and Pattaya outside of the hotel grounds everything is soooo dirty!!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only in sensationalist headlines. This is Pattaya not Beirut.

So you think the powers that be have everything under control here and there will be no worsening or escalation of all the things I mentioned in OP, that, in fact, everything will get better?

Only in sensationalist headlines. This is Pattaya not Beirut.

So you think the powers that be have everything under control here and there will be no worsening or escalation of all the things I mentioned in OP, that, in fact, everything will get better?

Has Pattaya reached a tipping point? It's not the same as it was ten years ago, but neither is the rest of the world

Pattaya is what it is and it has all the assorted problems that go with it's particular distinction.

Sure there's a lot of mugs getting ripped off and the police could be more conspicuous, but this is Sin City and shit happens.

If you want a quality destination stay in your compound or go to the Seychelles.

No, but it has reached the tipsy point.

Look, Pattaya's future is as an exciting urban resort with some water to look at and some nice sea breezes.

How many people can stay more than a few days at an isolated desert island without getting bored silly? There are scores of quiet islands. There is only one Pattaya (and I know many of you are saying Thank God for that!).

People looking for ecotopia should know better than to come to Pattaya in the first place.

I predict Pattaya will get better and better.

And, yes, I am running for Mayor of Pattaya!

Edited by Jingthing

Look, Pattaya's future is as an exciting urban resort with some water to look at and some nice sea breezes.

How many people can stay more than a few days at an isolated desert island without getting bored silly? There are scores of quiet islands. There is only one Pattaya (and I know many of you are saying Thank God for that!).

People looking for ecotopia should know better than to come to Pattaya in the first place.

In what ways will it "get better and better"?

In what ways will it "get better and better"?

My rose colored glasses are in the shop, but I'll get back to you on that.

Pattaya will continue to expand and will continue to improve it`s facilities.

Tammi you must always remember that Thailand is a developing country and it takes longer time to improve situations here.....................but isn`t that all part of the charm of the place?......that`s why we don`t go to Blackpool....we go to Pattaya. :D

There are far worse places in the world to be believe me :o

Edited by Pattaya_Fox

Tammi you must always remember that Thailand is a developing country and it takes longer time to improve situations here.....................but isn`t that all part of the charm of the place?......that`s why we don`t go to Blackpool....we go to Pattaya. :D

There are far worse places in the world to be believe me :D

you can get anything you want in pattaya as long as pay for it :o

Pattaya is a mess..the crime is getting terrible...gun crime is crazy now,roads are like crap, the list goes on and on...and only 4 million tourist pumpin money into it....this place should be as clean as Singapore...why not?....because they don't give a ###### better to throw $1.5 million on stupid signs etc...and get the kick back

WHERE CAN I FIND GRAPE NUTS?

And, yes, I am running for Mayor of Pattaya!

I agree. As long as we take suitable precautions, it's a very liveable city with much to offer.

At boyztown

There seems to be a lack of planning. They can't seem to get an area clean and tidy, without digging up the roads, Beach Road, Pattaya Tai etc.

It is frustrating but, I try to look on the postive side. What about those funny green men statues? After several years of living here it is easy to forget the plus points of why I chose to settle here.

Weather and cost of living, restaurants, night-life, some really good places if you know where to look, and always a surprise around every corner.

The crime at night, and bag snatches by day are tiresome, but I feel safer, on the whole, than in my British city of birth.

you can get anything you want in pattaya as long as pay for it :D

At boyztown

Grape Nuts not Grope Nuts :o

Getting back to the OP, I lived in Pattaya between 1980 and 1991. Back then there was irregular garbage collection, flooding, water shortages, horrible traffic, drunk driving, beach vendors, homicides, tailor-touts, baht buses that sometimes overcharged, some MIB on the take, rude farangs and Thais, dirty beaches... all of the things that make it undesirable.

There was also the relaxed expatriate lifestyle, wonderful weather, sublime cuisine, lower prices, easy immigration rules, good service, golf, expat friends, friendly locals, nice beaches (Rayong and beyond), decent highways, great bars, discos and restaurants... all of the desirable things.

I have recently decided to relocate BACK to Pattaya after living in the US and Brazil over the past 15 years. Apart from an alcohol induced overnight as a guest of Pattaya's finest, I have never been a victim of crime in Thailand. Meanwhile, I have have been robbed twice in the US and once in Rio. When visiting family in the UK, I have avoided city centres in the evenings, especially at weekends due to drunk and disorderly conduct by people 'having fun'.

I visited Pattaya several times over the past 24-months so I have not rushed the relocation decision, maybe a case of 'the devil you know'. However, I don't consider Pattaya is anywhere nearer any perceived 'tipping point' than it was back in the 1980's... everything is relative. It has got bigger, noisier, more populous and crime has increased in proportion to the city's loosely regulated growth.

Thailand in general and Pattaya in particular has and always will have sanuk! IMHO

Take it or leave it.

Central Festival Department Store ( the Big C)

Got charged for the car park today.

thought that was a bit knob of them.

Never checked if you buy something and get a stamp then its free parking,

any one know?

TIT.

You really have to watch those parking attendants. They make a fortune by adding 10 or 20 baht to farang's parking bills.

They recently charged me 40 baht to park a motercycle under Royal Garden Plaza for 3 hours and 5 minutes.

If anyone parks in the motorcycle area there, watch out for the young female parking attendant there. She does very well for herself.

Getting back to the OP, I lived in Pattaya between 1980 and 1991. Back then there was irregular garbage collection, flooding, water shortages, horrible traffic, drunk driving, beach vendors, homicides, tailor-touts, baht buses that sometimes overcharged, some MIB on the take, rude farangs and Thais, dirty beaches... all of the things that make it undesirable.

There was also the relaxed expatriate lifestyle, wonderful weather, sublime cuisine, lower prices, easy immigration rules, good service, golf, expat friends, friendly locals, nice beaches (Rayong and beyond), decent highways, great bars, discos and restaurants... all of the desirable things.

I have recently decided to relocate BACK to Pattaya after living in the US and Brazil over the past 15 years. Apart from an alcohol induced overnight as a guest of Pattaya's finest, I have never been a victim of crime in Thailand. Meanwhile, I have have been robbed twice in the US and once in Rio. When visiting family in the UK, I have avoided city centres in the evenings, especially at weekends due to drunk and disorderly conduct by people 'having fun'.

I visited Pattaya several times over the past 24-months so I have not rushed the relocation decision, maybe a case of 'the devil you know'. However, I don't consider Pattaya is anywhere nearer any perceived 'tipping point' than it was back in the 1980's... everything is relative. It has got bigger, noisier, more populous and crime has increased in proportion to the city's loosely regulated growth.

Thailand in general and Pattaya in particular has and always will have sanuk! IMHO

Take it or leave it.

Hope this works , found this back of anold album the other day, The Real Pattaya, Nignoy

post-11182-1169774890_thumb.jpg

Take it or leave it.

well written and very true...I get sick of listening to the negative <deleted> who post on here, who know it all and have only been here half a dozen times!!!

any one know?

TIT.

They announced it around end Nov 2006 (if iam correct) In Dec. they tested it giving out the bills without charging you, but for you to learn the change.

So, to my opinion the implemention was good. In BKK its very normal to pay for parking. Moreover at Mike you also pay. (even if you have have a discount shopping card at Mike's, you get charged for parking.....)

Peter

any one know?

TIT.

Damned ripp offs; since when is that? Pay for parking at this horrible caroussel!!!! The last time I went up there.......it tok about 1,5 hours to find out that the place was absolutely stuffed (twice) and luckiy there was some kind of exit. What a crap!! And now they are charging? Amazing!!!

quote]Hope this works , found this back of anold album the other day, The Real Pattaya, Nignoy

Thanks Nignoy great photo for the collection. :o

No problem, got a few black and whites of the camp and the airfieldfrom 62 to 64 in Leong Nok Tha as wellmight be interesting for the isaan forum :D Nignoy

pattaya is indeed a shithole.

years upon years it floods

the drivers are crazy/rude

the traffic is awful

garbage is everywhere

the beach/water are filthy

-bangok is cleaner. i had this epiphany some months ago when stepping off the bus and running about bkk for the day. everywhere i went was cleaner.

then i did a visa run to hat yai. it was cleaner.

evrywhere is cleaner from trang to aranyapathet.

it rakes in money and spends it on call centers and electronic billboards.

the kids are uneducated, crime is all time high - and much of it directed at foreigners and violent.

-bangok is cleaner.

It depends on where in Bangkok and where in Pattaya you are making the comparisons. They both have good and bad areas.

The sea air in Pattaya is much cleaner than Bangkok's smog, and this is what will really impact your health in the long run.