10 Reasons you left your homeland to live in Thailand

4MyEgo

1 hour ago, MadMuhammad said:

I had an horrific motorcycle accident @ 36 in Oz. Coma for 2 weeks, brain injury ward for 3 months followed by years of rehab. 

My family live around 150km’s away from where I live in Melbourne CBD. I lost 2 lifelong friends tragically, 1 to cancer, 1 in a tragic accident. 

I was an A Grade construction sparky on great money and perks and work was my life. Saturdays & Sundays were just another day of the week for me. 

I also worked the doors of bars & clubs for 17 years.

Since my accident I lost my first love, my job. I lost my second love & sanctuary of hours spent in the gym. I then lost my third love, my filo fiancée of 7 years. 

I have been in & out of Thailand 6-8 times a year since becoming mobile again so it actually works out cheaper to rent a condo and move full time. 

The cost of living plays a huge part. I can get by on 250thb a day for food most days, water & electric is lower than back home and I can head out for a beer and a good old chin wag for under 500thb for quite a few hours of entertainment.

Although I don’t indulge too regularly the availablity of a slim, warm body without having to go trough the mating dance of dinner, movies and riveting conversation is a deciding factor. 

I love the thai lifestyle, food, demeanour, happiness etc. many people seem to have a very different view of the ‘Thai smile’ of recent times but I’ve never experienced any real issue myself. 

Australia is ruled by minorities, snow flakes and corrupt hierarchy these days. Immigrant crime is escalating on a large scale. The roads and traffic are awful and the cost of living is far outstripping the rate of inflation. 

I could easily survive on my dividends & cash reserves in Australia but for me the fun & excitement has been sucked out of everyday life and replaced by mortgage stress, job losses, bad attitudes & entitlement. 

My body needs warm weather to function now, my head needs time to repair. So at 40 I’ve rented a nice condo, sold my worldly possessions and starting my second chance and second half of my life somewhere I wake up everyday with a smile.

Now that's what I'm talking about !

Sorry that you have had to go through what you went through and probably are still going through to get to see that there is life outside the controlled state that we lived in back in the old country which was once a great place to live, but sadly, unless your loaded, you don't stand to have a quality life, that and the smiles are all gone, here, you can smile at any Thai, and 99% of the time they will smile back at yah, teeth and all missing :shock1:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Marriage 2nd time around is only a trap if she is damaged up top so to speak, the 1st one (westerner) was from hell.

When I met my 2nd wife, I told her that I had no interest in marrying again, because I love sex too much, suffice to say we have a very balanced marriage, i.e we are not possessive, jealous or insecure.

I have been very happily married to this Thai chick for over a decade, and I recently did a week in Phuket alone, she's a good girl my Mrs, understands me, as has been the case from day one, she is a stay at home mum, loves the family life, cooking, cleaning, gardening and enjoys looking after the kids while dad is out putting some numbers half his age on the board when he is away on holiday, yeh, a man gotto do what a man gotts do, which makes a lot of fella's envious, :sorry: but as I have always said, if you can't muster telling the truth and the chick can't handle it, then great, but is can't, she ain't for me.

She knows I only have one life, am financial and love sex, (that's all it is sex), and I can appreciate that my contributions to those girls support their families, and as long as I return, and follow some simple rules, she's ok with it, and like she says, don't tell me, but if I ask you, I want you to tell me, and in all the years we have been together, she has only asked once.

So there are some girls out there that will turn the blind eye, to have a better, securer life, and there are girls out there that will control you, if you allow them, so best put them to the test when your dating, even invite them into the arena, and if they join you, all the merrier, sooner or later you will find out if it was all BS or if she is the one, happy choosing. 

Let the dice fly high!

You only live  once.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

<snip> while dad is out putting some numbers half his age on the board when he is away on holiday <snip2>

However if the wife/TGF is a number half his age, it saves on the travel expenses.

1 hour ago, Ridler said:

Enjoyed reading all these answers, but let’s be real fellas, you came here for sex.

admit it.

This is the truth, I came here with a mate who was going through his 2nd divorce, and I had broken up with my Thai girlfriend who I met in Oz, my Thai girlfriend and I came here in 2005, she steared me clear of Phuket, even though I saw a lot of the far south, I loved it and said to my mate that we should do a couple of weeks in Phuket around Xmas, which we did, I had broken up with the Thai girlfriend in October the same year 2006.

I remember on the plane, he leaned over to me and said, lets just get one thing straight, I am not in it for the sex, I just want a holiday, I need to chill, my reply was dido, as we opened a bottle of Johnny Red from duty free and drank half before the plane left the tarmac, the plan had an air conditioning problem and the engineers had to sort it, with my mate asking the hostesses to keep bring him coca cola as he had a problem and needed sugar, but was mixing the drinks, we woke up two hours later in the air, not even remembering the take off, we were smashed.

In the 2 weeks we were here, he had 14 women in 13 nights, I had 2 and then met my wife, the rest is history, he is my best man and adores my Mrs, when ever he visits, I say, mate, you have to wait till I am gone, because there is no way I am going to let you cut my grass with the Mrs....lol

Since then he has visited Thailand about 5 times, but has moved on from the yellow fever, he is now into Russians or blondes.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I will agree that it is only an 8.30/9 hour flight direct from Bangkok or Phuket, is convenient and cheap for a holiday, and add to that, to live.

Sydney where I am from originally would cost me at least double if not triple the amount for a similar holiday.

Corrupt cops, pollution, population density, noise can be found in most major cities around the world, the corruption is not so open in some places, but believe you me, its out there, as are obese people, be it at a bar or a pub.

Sure Australia has great beaches, national parks as does Thailand outside of Patong and Pattaya,, to add to that, it also has an easy going country town lifestyle if you venture out of Bangkok, where I would say you spend most of your time, judging by your post, and there is nothing wrong with that, but when comparing eggs with eggs, you cannot compare Thailand as if it is BKK.

You say in Australia you live in the country, but you don't say where you live in Thailand to be fair in giving us your comparison, or what parts of Thailand you have visited, to be able to make your judgement.

Good friends can be found here, and yes we do lose medical benefits here is we change our residency status, government guaranteed banks in Australia are not an issue as you can keep your accounts and operate them from here, clean water and food we have, efficient pollution control, yes you are correct, there is none, and there is no elected political government at the moment, but I do see stability since the onslaught, and the sooner they go the better for the country obviously.

I differ about the comprises and quality of loss living here in Thailand, the only thing different for me is the health care system, Australia has better hospitals and doctors, but I have to be fair, I have been under the knife here and apart from the hospital floors, walls, being a little unclean, everything went smoothly, however we are used to what we have grown up with, and pristine hospitals I am used to as well, regardless of golden staff and other hard to kill bacteria lingering.

But each to their own, and I for one am living here, earning what I was making back in the old country after tax previously, without paying tax and living a great life style through my investment back in the old country, suffice to say, Sydney is expensive and I wouldn't have the same lifestyle there as I do here, if I returned, so it is a lifestyle change that has attracted me, i.e. more bang for your buck and a stress free life as opposed to less for your buck and loads of stress.  

My initial experience with LoS was in the mid 70's when I scored a posting to Udon Thani, then a second one the year after at Ubon. 

As a single guy in those days I kept returning for holidays, and apart from marriages (neither of them longer than 9 years) and kept revisiting the provinces,  only visited Pattaya in 2015; not really my scene nowadays though. 

My TG works for her families business in BKK,  but hails from Phitsanulok,  where we often go when I'm in country.   

Next trip April-May I'm visiting Chiang Mai for a week with the girl then on to other locales, I still find myself liking Thailand despite all of it's problems.

I'm reasonably sure that I'll end up relocating to LoS further down the road,  but if I hang with my current TG it will have to be somewhere in BKK, which doesn't suit me at all.  

I'm a country boy, live in SE Qld hinterland on some acres, Horses and relative freedom since retiring from the Army 10 years ago.  

My problem for now is having to sort through a couple of years of business before I'm ready to move,  time will tell. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kimber said:

My initial experience with LoS was in the mid 70's when I scored a posting to Udon Thani, then a second one the year after at Ubon. 

As a single guy in those days I kept returning for holidays, and apart from marriages (neither of them longer than 9 years) and kept revisiting the provinces,  only visited Pattaya in 2015; not really my scene nowadays though. 

My TG works for her families business in BKK,  but hails from Phitsanulok,  where we often go when I'm in country.   

Next trip April-May I'm visiting Chiang Mai for a week with the girl then on to other locales, I still find myself liking Thailand despite all of it's problems.

I'm reasonably sure that I'll end up relocating to LoS further down the road,  but if I hang with my current TG it will have to be somewhere in BKK, which doesn't suit me at all.  

I'm a country boy, live in SE Qld hinterland on some acres, Horses and relative freedom since retiring from the Army 10 years ago.  

My problem for now is having to sort through a couple of years of business before I'm ready to move,  time will tell. 

Good luck with it all mate.

I reckon 6 months here, 6 months there, or 2 x 3 if BKK gets too much for yah, SE Qld sounds nice on acres, got a mate of mine that live further up in Hervey Bay on acres, and has a nice ocean view. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Kimber,

It is not only convenient but it is a place where you toss the dice.

No use complaining when you get ones or twos..

"Let the dice fly high!.."

You don't get that in the normal RSL club,do  you?

Strangely enough I've never been an RSL kind of guy,  had plenty of adventure at government expense over too many decades though. 

I prefer an easier pace nowadays,  and the TG's always do it right for me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kimber said:

Strangely enough I've never been an RSL kind of guy,  had plenty of adventure at government expense over too many decades though. 

I prefer an easier pace nowadays,  and the TG's always do it right for me. 

I meant  that it is our choice.

My Thai wife was a termagent..but she was a 60 kg termargant..

Whereas the ones I see here (OZ)are really,really big bad,kinda evil termargants...

I think of Mr  Kurz in "Heart of Darkness" and whisper to myself "The horror..the horror.."

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Good luck with it all mate.

I reckon 6 months here, 6 months there, or 2 x 3 if BKK gets too much for yah, SE Qld sounds nice on acres, got a mate of mine that live further up in Hervey Bay on acres, and has a nice ocean view. 

Yeah living here is pleasant enough but mostly boring as bat crap,  plenty of older Aussie girls husband hunting hereabouts which makes me nauseous.  

In the last couple of years I've realised that there's not a lot left holding me here,  2 now adult kids (1st marriage) are doing their own thing, while all I do is play daddy to my animals.  

I just want more out of life than enjoying great scenery, and waiting for death; but I know if the move happens that's it for me. 

Every year as soon as I return from Thailand, I'm booking my next flight and holiday 555. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Just remember, when and if you do move here, and if you shack up with your lady, only invest as much as your prepared to lose, referring to my number 1. rule.

Rule 1. Only be prepared to lose 10% of your total net worth, and exit as quickly as you entered the relationship and keep going, women a plentiful, next !!!

Rule 2. Love is only as good as it lasts, so be prepared to cut and run if need be, i.e. after having a real good look at ones self and if the root cause is not you and she is not able to repent, move on

Very true. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

I have to admit I always enjoy reading your balanced and forthright comments. You definitely appear to have the life mate

Your wife is one in a million for sure. I concur that honesty is the best policy and if your partner can’t handle the brutal truth, good or bad, you’re unfortunately in for a long painful death lol

I’m working in a new relationship with a girl from Korat to the moment and I’m putting the acid on her a bit early on, she hasn’t tripped up yet. 

I move into my condo in pratumnak in April so that’ll be the true test, her living in Korat while I’m located deep in the bowels of the hell hole. Time will tell. 

I’m in absolutely no rush to partner up and I’m even hesitant to take home a BG at the moment, I’m just not into it for some reason. That’ll obviously change of course! 55

I'm glad you enjoy my boasting....lol....and yes I do have the life, i.e. having learned from my past mistakes and 1st marriage (hell) of 12 and a half years and one child, I was a firm believer that you have to keep trying, perseverance would prevail, and she would change, suffice to say I came home from work on the 24th April 1999 to an empty house, just a bed and a small TV. She did me a huge favour to be honest, because when you are in so deep, you just can't focus, or have the courage to get out of it.

I swore on that day I would no longer be a fool to any woman, and now, right or wrong, I do not bend, and it seems to work just perfectly, because they soon learn, this tree has settled, don't get me wrong, I am sensible, accommodating, but when I want something, I will get it, be it a short break away with a couple of young females to massage my ego as I age gracefully, this is my life, and if this is what I enjoy, within reason, I will, and any woman who shows me her jealousy, or insecurity will no longer be a part of my life, no threats needed, my wife knows me 110%, what makes me tick, and she respects me for my honesty and needs.

Hope everything works out for you, just remember, here we can be King, back in the old country, forget it, the hoes, rule the roost, or at least think they do and can dismiss us with the snap of their fingers, sel-a-vee, life is now upon us to enjoy the yellow fever :partytime2:

• Thanks 2

Take one for a test ride,  check out the reviews on internet; they're a superb retro style bike.
The classic Triumph 1200 cc donk is more than enough power for my needs,  the only negative is the small fuel tank but I can live with it.

The 2018 Boober Black is reported to be the big seller for Triumph, 

The 'Boober' is probably popular with lady boys, the Bobber popular with bikers.
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1