Non-B visa new Requirement

Is a criminal record check now a requirement for a Non-B visa extension? if yes, can it be done at any police station or is there a specific place for that?

My colleague did an extension last week and informed me it’s now a requirement and i just want to confirm so i can get all the documents right before i go next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have never heard of it being required.

Thank you. I have a couple of other questions.

1. If i cancel my work permit, does my visa expire the same day?

2. after cancelling my work permit and i have documents for a new one. which one do i do first, a new work permit first then visa or it’s the other way round? thanks

4 minutes ago, Popenerrow said:

1. If i cancel my work permit, does my visa expire the same day?

If you have a 90 day entry from a non-b visa it would not end. If you an extension of stay based upon working issued by immigration it ends on the date your job ends.

5 minutes ago, Popenerrow said:

2. after cancelling my work permit and i have documents for a new one. which one do i do first, a new work permit first then visa or it’s the other way round? thanks

If you had a 90 day visa entry you could apply for a new work permit and have it issued. If on an extension of stay you have to leave the country to get a tourist visa or visa exempt entry and then apply for a work permit to get a application approval letter to get a new non-b visa.

If on an extension of stay and had a new job it would be possible for your new employer to apply for the work permit and then have your current extension canceled and apply for a new extension using documents from them and then cancel your current work permit so that the new one could be canceled.

If you had a 90 day visa entry you could apply for a new work permit and have it issued. If on an extension of stay you have to leave the country to get a tourist visa or visa exempt entry and then apply for a work permit to get a application approval letter to get a new non-b visa.

If on an extension of stay and had a new job it would be possible for your new employer to apply for the work permit and then have your current extension canceled and apply for a new extension using documents from them and then cancel your current work permit so that the new one could be canceled.

Thanks for the quick response.

I’m currently using a 1 year extension of stay but i’ll be switching jobs. so. i thought i’ll have to cancel my current work permit before obtaining a new work permit. The have the documents for a new work permit and visa already

9 minutes ago, Popenerrow said:

I’m currently using a 1 year extension of stay but i’ll be switching jobs. so. i thought i’ll have to cancel my current work permit before obtaining a new work permit. The have the documents for a new work permit and visa already

The new work permit can be applied for without your current work permit being canceled. You would apply for a new extension using a work permit application approval letter from the Labor Ministry and then after it issued your new work permit would be issued after the old is canceled.

The new work permit can be applied for without your current work permit being canceled. You would apply for a new extension using a work permit application approval letter from the Labor Ministry and then after it issued your new work permit would be issued after the old is canceled.

Morning there! Do you happen to have a link to the latest Work Permit form for first time applicants? They always change the form so i’m not sure. Thanks in advance

Just a quick update. i just came back from Labour department and i couldn’t get a new work permit without cancelling the first one. so i practically wasted my day there. What is the best way to cancel a work permit and a visa then getting a new one?

25 minutes ago, Popenerrow said:

Just a quick update. i just came back from Labour department and i couldn’t get a new work permit without cancelling the first one. so i practically wasted my day there. What is the best way to cancel a work permit and a visa then getting a new one?

You cannot have a new work permit issued until the existing one is canceled. You can apply for a work permit with supporting documents from your new employer and then it will be issued when the existing one is cancelled.

You will need a termination to letter to cancel you extension of stay (it is not a visa). You can go to immigration a few day before the date on the letter and they post date the cancellation to that date. Then you would have to leave the country on or before the cancellation date.

Your current employer can cancel you work permit if you sign a power of attorney for them to do it. 

This was your previous post regarding this

You cannot have a new work permit issued until the existing one is canceled. You can apply for a work permit with supporting documents from your new employer and then it will be issued when the existing one is cancelled.

You will need a termination to letter to cancel you extension of stay (it is not a visa). You can go to immigration a few day before the date on the letter and they post date the cancellation to that date. Then you would have to leave the country on or before the cancellation date.

Your current employer can cancel you work permit if you sign a power of attorney for them to do it. 

I can’t get a new visa here without leaving the country? i have documents for new visa and work permit already.

9 minutes ago, Popenerrow said:

I can’t get a new visa here without leaving the country? i have documents for new visa and work permit already.

You could apply for a new extension of stay (it is not a visa) if you have a work permit application approval letter. Your existing extension would have to canceled to apply for the extension.

You cannot apply for a non-b visa here unless you are on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

You could apply for a new extension of stay (it is not a visa) if you have a work permit application approval letter. Your existing extension would have to canceled to apply for the extension.
You cannot apply for a non-b visa here unless you are on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

Ok thanks for replying.

I went to the Labour Department today and i was told that i need to cancel my current work permit then get an extension of stay first before applying for a new work permit. I can’t get a new work permit on my current extension of stay because it was issued in the name of my previous employer.

So as i understand it, the steps are:

1. Cancel the current work permit and extension of stay.

2. apply for a new work permit then get an extension of stay.

I did this last time , it went well except that i have to pay for over stay because my visa expires the same day i cancel my work permit.