Stranded in HCMC - they voided the SETV they gave me

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
2 hours ago, BritTim said:
At many consulates, especially if you have spent significant time in Thailand, they ask for financial proof. Unlike at immigration on entry, this is not in the form of cash. It must be a bank statement or some other printed document.

Would they ask for financial proof when going for an extension? Say at Jomtien. They haven't asked me before but things change

When applying for a 30-day extension of a tourist entry, no financial proof is required. However, if applying at Jomtien, ensure the TM30 notification has been done.

• Like 2

You seem to have lots of ins and outs, and various reasons for visiting over the years.  Are you working in Thailand or do you have a business in Thailand?  If you are a tourist (which seems a bit dubious), that goes there a lot,  then presumably you have financial assets, so just suck it up and buy one of the Elite Visas and be done with things.  Your situation lends itself to many questions by authorities and agencies

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Essecola said:

Looks like Ho Chi Minh might be joining Penang as a place to cross off the list. This isn't the first account from someone who submitted the documents they wanted then got a void visa. I got a visa from them last month and they didnt ask me for receipts for my hotel bookings. Just the bookings alone were fine. Something seems fishy. Maybe u can go over to Cambodia and do a land border entry which can be extended 30 days. Just don't do it at Poipet. All the best.

Thank you for englightening those of us less informed mortals (and have lost our code deciphers) what HCMC stands for.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

You seem to have lots of ins and outs, and various reasons for visiting over the years.  Are you working in Thailand or do you have a business in Thailand?  If you are a tourist (which seems a bit dubious), that goes there a lot,  then presumably you have financial assets, so just suck it up and buy one of the Elite Visas and be done with things.  Your situation lends itself to many questions by authorities and agencies

I don't have a job in thailand. I came to get married but that never happened. The situation with my employer in the US was working out where I could stay here and still do my us job.  For me the Elite Visa is too expensive so I needed considered it. Was thinking about looking into one of the other Visa options.

13 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Did you supply them with a flight ticket out of Thailand within 60 days?

No, only my ticket to Los Angeles which is in 90 days. I didn't know of the 60 day limit, maybe it would have helped to have a ticket out at that time too

10 hours ago, darrendsd said:

I have already explained to you that you can get 30 days extension on your 30 days that you will get when you fly in so why on earth would you want to fly to Vientiane at the end of the month to get a Tourist Visa?

You're right. That was a mis-calculation on my part. I was also thinking of trying once more here, but do not know what they want in the detail letter they requested for my further travels in thailand --  I have one trip already planned but they might want me to have several.

At this point I will go back to Don Muang airport Thursday for a 30-day stamp, and then go to Laos in 30 days as suggested. Only worry is the SETV from here that has the VOID stamp on it, and it that would create a problem at Don Muang.

Again thanks for all the advice.

you might want to look into education visa when you come back. learn some thai and get long term visa too, some places will lie about your attendance so don't even need to go to classes. i know people have been doing that for a while and works for them. there's always the elite visa but just overpriced option if you cannot do another way

You're right. That was a mis-calculation on my part. I was also thinking of trying once more here, but do not know what they want in the detail letter they requested for my further travels in thailand --  I have one trip already planned but they might want me to have several.

At this point I will go back to Don Muang airport Thursday for a 30-day stamp, and then go to Laos in 30 days as suggested. Only worry is the SETV from here that has the VOID stamp on it, and it that would create a problem at Don Muang.

Let us know how you get on

3 hours ago, ClaySmc said:

I don't have a job in thailand. I came to get married but that never happened. The situation with my employer in the US was working out where I could stay here and still do my us job.  For me the Elite Visa is too expensive so I needed considered it. Was thinking about looking into one of the other Visa options.

10 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

So it seems he is employed by an American company and is working while based in Thailand, but he thinks that because he is working for an American company that he is exempt from Thailand's work permit requirements, paying taxes etc.

Serious question: When the Immigration officer looks you in the eye and asks you what you're doing in Thailand or if you're working in Thailand, what do you say?

Edited by mstevens
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, mstevens said:

So it seems he is employed by an American company and is working while based in Thailand, but he thinks that because he is working for an American company that he is exempt from Thailand's work permit requirements, paying taxes etc.

Serious question: When the Immigration officer looks you in the eye and asks you what you're doing in Thailand or if you're working in Thailand, what do you say?

Lie?

57 minutes ago, mstevens said:

While this may not always be true in the future, for now, honestly replying "I work here as a digital nomad for a US company" is not a problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mstevens said:

i work for a uk vat registered company and also pay witholding tax in thailand on money brought in. I tell them exactly what i am doing and have had no problems. the work permit is for work within thailand not elsewhere. old discussion but same outcome. it's allowed

**i was going to do a contract with a thai based firm and needed WP in order to do it. ended up cancelling that deal as too much bother with getting the WP. Non thai business is not a problem

Edited by Happy enough
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:
4 hours ago, ClaySmc said:

Let us know how you get on

I'll post an update. As well as when I return to LA, I'll ask the consulate there what is the best visa option for my situation, and post any information they give. Thx.

1 hour ago, mstevens said:

I tell them I am visiting friends and traveling. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ClaySmc said:

I'll post an update. As well as when I return to LA, I'll ask the consulate there what is the best visa option for my situation, and post any information they give. Thx.

Consulate's information tends to be tainted, and sometimes even totally incorrect.

IMO, the problem is not so much that you were refused a visa, but that,most likely the embassy staff were satisfied with what you submitted and put the visa sticker in your passport, but the consul signing the visa for whatever ever reason, maybe just because  he was in a bad mood , overrode their decision and voided it, which looks worse than a red warning stamp.

I have been able to get visas with a red warning stamp, but a voided visa sticks out like a sore thumb, and raises suspicions wherever you go.

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Consulate's information tends to be tainted, and sometimes even totally incorrect.

I read on TV that A and A-O might be good options. I was going to ask them about those.

4 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

IMO, the problem is not so much that you were refused a visa, but that,most likely the embassy staff were satisfied with what you submitted and put the visa sticker in your passport, but the consul signing the visa for whatever ever reason, maybe just because  he was in a bad mood , overrode their decision and voided it, which looks worse than a red warning stamp.

I have been able to get visas with a red warning stamp, but a voided visa sticks out like a sore thumb, and raises suspicions wherever you go.

Do you think that will be an issue going back on Thursday and getting a 30-day stamp?

All the staff here could say was they wanted more details on where I was going in thailand.

12 minutes ago, ClaySmc said:

I read on TV that A and A-O might be good options. I was going to ask them about those.

If you are 50 years old or over the NON-OA (not AO) long stay visa may be a good option.

General requirements are here. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

18 minutes ago, ClaySmc said:

Do you think that will be an issue going back on Thursday and getting a 30-day stamp?

All the staff here could say was they wanted more details on where I was going in thailand.

No , that shouldn't be a problem:going back to the same embassy and suppling them with the documents they asked for, I would say they then have to issue you a new visa.

But any other consulate, they will notice the voided visa and asked themselves why.

5 hours ago, ClaySmc said:

No, only my ticket to Los Angeles which is in 90 days. I didn't know of the 60 day limit, maybe it would have helped to have a ticket out at that time too

You must show ticket out in 60 days or less. Cannot say for example that you have a ticket in 90 days because you are getting a 30 day extension. You can buy bus ticket  Bangkok to Cambodian online.

http://giantibis.com

1 hour ago, my friend I said:

You must show ticket out in 60 days or less. Cannot say for example that you have a ticket in 90 days because you are getting a 30 day extension. You can buy bus ticket  Bangkok to Cambodian online.

http://giantibis.com

Did this thanks.

Edited by ClaySmc
to clarify

2 hours ago, thecyclist said:

No , that shouldn't be a problem:going back to the same embassy and suppling them with the documents they asked for, I would say they then have to issue you a new visa.

But any other consulate, they will notice the voided visa and asked themselves why.

With your warning in mind I changed my plans and went back this afternoon before they closed.

Turns out the documents they wanted was proof of employment outside out Thailand. I had my laptop with me so at first I was showing them screenshots of company web pages and e email with my name on it. Then I remembered I had a scan of my w-2 tax form. They had me email that to them and the guy then went to the Head guy to explain things and show him a print out. Then he came back and took my money. Told me to come back tomorrow to find out the results. I'm hoping that's a good sign. Thanks!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ClaySmc said:

I tell them I am visiting friends and traveling. 

Yes. If they press you on the source of your income, you can just say you have income or money from your home country.

Shame to hear HCMC are tightening up their procedures, very straightforward there last time I went. Anyway, the solution seems to be having a printed out hotel booking for the first night in Thailand - plenty of options online that don't require prepayment.

Agree the earlier advice - cheapest way to solve the current problem is return without a visa on Thursday on a visa exempt entry. Wouldn't recommend to throw away the 30 day extension on this, this will take you to mid May. You can probably do a border run to take you up to June, doubt you'll have a problem if the flight out is within 30 days.

*Just saw your update above, sounds promising. Good luck! 

Edited by lamyai3

2 minutes ago, ClaySmc said:

I just returned form the Consulate. Picked up my passport and found that they did place a new SETV visa on the page after the one that was voided, but this one is good. So all good that ends well!

Many lessons learned here. Given there is a  chance the Saigon Thai Consulate will look at every part of one's passport, especially if having many tourist visas: have a ticket out of Thailand within 60 days, have proof of income earned back home, maybe don't use a condo rental contract, but a booking.com hotel reservation for proof of place to stay.

I want to thank everyone for your valuable advice. Now I'm no longer stranded...

Next would be to deal with any fallout of the voided visa at Don Muang airport.

Don't think you will have any problems at the airport.If they ask about voided visa, just explain that there were some documents missing, which you later provided to their satisfaction.

But, might be a good idea to get a new passport for future applications.

I always get a new passport when passport chock full with Thai stamp and/or I receive the red warning stamp.