High blood pressure medecine - Sheryl (and others) Advice needed

Darkkakashi

Hi all,

I have been an obese 35 years old guy (178cm / 130kg) for more than 2 years now, following a bad accident that kept me on a bed for 6 months.

I was really sporty before that accident but i put on a lot of weight since then...anyway this is not the topic.

I have been diagnosed with high blood pressure, mainly the diastolic one (the lowest of the 2 numbers when you get the results is the diastolic for those who wonder).

Long story short I have been put on CoApprovel 150/12.5 since a year https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/4111/pil

I was wondering if there was some negative experience with it/nocive known factor that should get me reconsider taking it daily.

I tend to feel more tired since i use it and cant lose the god damn weight despite trying (not hard enough I guess).

PS : my blood test are ok, just a bit of pre-diabete but the cholesterol (both the ratio and the actual results) is ok. Got a liver inflamation but after a biopsy it seems to be the beginning of a NASH that might have been triggered by a medical hepathitis back when I was hospitalized.

Also done a fat/muscle % with the electrods and stuff. I am 37% fat

Cheers and thank you for reading.

Edited by Darkkakashi

Begin tomorrow as the first day of a new life. Change your eating habit (no need to feel hungry) exercise whatever is possible in your condition. Report back in 6 months when all is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

You've been on CoApprovel for a year? That shouldn't have happened.  CoApprovel is only for short term use where hypertension is severe and a rapid reduction in blood pressure is imperative.  By now you should have been moved onto something more suitable for long term blood pressure maintenance.  If you haven't seen a consultant recently, do so.  And if you're seeing the same consultant, get a second opinion.

And, of course, be more active and lose weight.

As others have said, try to lose weight, easier said than done, but the older you get the harder it will be.

I understand what you said about being on your back for 6 months, motivate, or pay someone here to motivate you, a while back a dietitian put me on some prescription drugs, (can't think of them for the life of me), but my doctor was at odds with her, as I did a glucose test and was borderline diabetic, but again my doctor was against them so I came off them, although I did lose about 4kg-6kg in the short term that I was on them (6 months), weight is back on now !!!

You could try Xenical, marketed as Orlistat or as the over-the-counter pill Alli, works by blocking a portion of the fat you consume with each meal. The fats are passed out of the body undigested in the feces. Xenical is intended for use with a low-fatdiet, and you should not exceed the recommended grams of fat per meal.

But as always, consult your doctor before hand, as for hypertension, I have been on Irbestatan, you could also look at Losaratan, but again, not before you consult with your doctor.

Good Luck

21 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

As others have said, try to lose weight, easier said than done, but the older you get the harder it will be.

Losing weight is simple.  Just consume fewer calories than you burn and the weight will come off.  That applies however old you are.

• Thanks 1

Co-Aprovel is a combination of 2 drugs, irbesartan (an angiotensin 2 inhibitor) and hydrochlorthiazide, a diuretic. 

It can be, and often is,  used long term in the management of hypertension (though it is much less expensive to take the two drugs it contains separately in a generic form).

Fatigue is a known side effect of irbesartan. In addition, hydrochlorthiazide can cause electrolyte imbalances that also cause fatigue.

Weight loss woudl certainly be best ofr you but can be very hard o achieve.

I suggest you start by getting a thyroid panel done if you have nto had one recently, as hypoactive thyroid would both cause fatigue and make it hard to lose weight. While at it get basic blood chemistry - BUN, potassium, sodium, chloride

If these all come back normal then the irbesartan may indeed be the culprit. If it causes you fatigue likely so will other drugs in the same class. Discuss alternatives with your doctor, these might include calcium channel blockers

Yeah, you need to lose the weight, seriously.

FYI I'm on Enalipril or Enalaril?? 20mg. I had a doctor put me on it bc it seemed best for the heat and weather here. Been 12 years, works great and super cheap. B2 per tablet.

I'm also cutting out sugar finally. Well, severely cut back. It's the latest to thinking instead of salt.

I'm 78-79 kg 183. Soft gut, can't get rid of the belly fat bc I'm too lazy and hate sit ups. Really do yourself a favor, lose it. Impossible as you age.

Edited by Number 6

On 3/19/2018 at 9:25 PM, Number 6 said:

FYI I'm on Enalipril or Enalaril?? 20mg. I had a doctor put me on it bc it seemed best for the heat and weather here. Been 12 years, works great and super cheap. B2 per tablet.

May be Enalapril 20 mg ? ; Hospital gives me  1/2 tablet a day, and my blood pressure dropped much in one month ; not tired at all ( I have other pills, but the good  changes come from Enalapril )

and also, but I don't know if it comes from Enalapril , my heart beats much slower than before, now I have 50/60 beats / minute ; before, more than 75

Edited by Aforek

1 hour ago, Aforek said:

and also, but I don't know if it comes from Enalapril , my heart beats much slower than before, now I have 50/60 beats / minute ; before, more than 75

After reading on the Internet, after all the slow heart seems to come from the other med I take ( one month now ), Atenolol

combinaison of enalapril and atenolol for one month now helps me very much to low blood pressure ( I have now about 120-130/70 , before , more than 190 ! )

Yeah, it's worked great and zero side effects. Only thing was, like my wife's cholesterol I had to do all the research and have the doctor ok it for me. After trial, I just take the responsibility on myself. Doctors pretty worthless here.

29 minutes ago, Aforek said:

After reading on the Internet, after all the slow heart seems to come from the other med I take ( one month now ), Atenolol

combinaison of enalapril and atenolol for one month now helps me very much to low blood pressure ( I have now about 120-130/70 , before , more than 190 ! )

I wonder whether you could achieve the same satisfactory results by reducing or even eliminating the atenolol dose.

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

I wonder whether you could achieve the same satisfactory results by reducing or even eliminating the atenolol dose.

I don't know, I am not a doctor, but I don't intend to stop it, as I told above, no pain, not tired at all

I know it's artificial, but it's better to take medicine than take nothing

I know a Thai man who had a treatment for high blood pressure, one day he decided to stop to take medicines

two months later, he had a stroke , and now he has one side paralysed, he is permanently disabled

43 minutes ago, Aforek said:

I don't know, I am not a doctor, but I don't intend to stop it, as I told above, no pain, not tired at all

Neither am I! However my impression is that atenolol is no longer much prescribed by clued up doctors and has its current usage mainly because of inertia.

I was prescribed atenolol 100 about 20 years ago subsequently reduced by my doctor to 50 mg.BP has remained fine (after some significant health adjustments) and last year off my own bat reduced it to 25 mg.Not sure if that low dosage is even therapeutic but BP remains OK (120/65)

7 minutes ago, Aforek said:

I know it's artificial, but it's better to take medicine than take nothing

I know a Thai man who had a treatment for high blood pressure, one day he decided to stop to take medicines

two months later, he had a stroke , and now he has one side paralysed, he is permanently disabled

Interesting.I was astonished to hear that authoritative studies have shown that placebos not only can have demonstrable clinical effect, but also that this remains the case even if patients know they are being treated with a placebo.

Neither am I! However my impression is that atenolol is no longer much prescribed by clued up doctors and has its current usage mainly because of inertia.

I was prescribed atenolol 100 about 20 years ago subsequently reduced by my doctor to 50 mg.BP has remained fine (after some significant health adjustments) and last year off my own bat reduced it to 25 mg.Not sure if that low dosage is even therapeutic but BP remains OK (120/65)

Atenolol is no longer recommended for management of hypertension alone, but it does have a role in those who also have certain cardiac cobditions.

So when someone is on it, need to figure out if this is just due to a doctor who has not kept up with the literature or whether it was prescribed because of cardiac condition in which case abruptly stopping it would be unwise.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Atenolol is no longer recommended for management of hypertension alone, but it does have a role in those who also have certain cardiac cobditions.

I don't have cardiac problems, why it is no longer recommended for hypertension alone ?; before it was good, and now , not good ? why the opinion has changed ?

thanks

4 hours ago, Aforek said:

I don't have cardiac problems, why it is no longer recommended for hypertension alone ?; before it was good, and now , not good ? why the opinion has changed ?

Subsequent research has shown that whilst it reduces blood pressure it doesn't actually reduce the rate of death from heart attacks and strokes.  In some groups the risk of death is actually increased.  It also increase the risk of diabetes.

In the UK it was dropped as a primary treatment for hypertension back in 2006.  (It's now a fourth-line treatment.)

4 hours ago, Aforek said:

thanks

Don't why it shouldn't be used alone for hypertension but that's what various medical/drug websites say such as the one below talking about use of atenolol.  The core reference seems to be "JNC 8" guidelines...that is, Eighth Joint National Committee (JNC 8)....here's a link to that: http://csc.cma.org.cn/attachment/2014315/1394884955972.pdf

https://www.drugs.com/ppa/atenolol.html

Use: Labeled Indications

Acute myocardial infarction: For the management of hemodynamically stable patients with definite or suspected acute MI to reduce cardiovascular mortality.

Angina pectoris caused by coronary atherosclerosis: For the long-term management of patients with angina pectoris.

Hypertension: Treatment of hypertension, alone or in combination with other agents. Note: According to current guidelines for the treatment of high blood pressure in adults, a beta-blocker should only be added to existing antihypertensive therapy when patient is not at goal blood pressure and not used alone (JNC8 [James 2014]).