So much for zebra crossings - Russian tourist mown down on one in Jomtien

webfact

So much for zebra crossings - Russian tourist mown down on one in Jomtien

2(5591).jpg

Picture: TNews

CCTV showed a Russian tourist collide with a fast moving motorcycle on a zebra crossing outside the Ambassador City hotel in Jomtien last Thursday morning.

Sergei Paialnikov, 51, was dead at the scene suffering head trauma and a broken leg.

Two women on the Honda Wave motorcycle came off but survived and were taken to hospital. They were 39 year old Rampheung Thepwarin and Miss Sudarat Saengsuk.

The accident happened at a U-turn near the hotel where the road is poorly marked as a zebra crossing.

Police said that the victim had just been to a store and was returning to his hotel at 7.45 am.

2pm.jpg

Picture: TNews

Na Jomtien police are investigating.

Zebra crossings have been in the news in the last week with an anti drink drive foundation and the Culture Ministry teaming up to try and get riders and motorists to stop for pedestrians in Bangkok.

It is not known if the campaign is being rolled out nationwide.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-14
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Thian said:

In Thailand the zebra-crossings mean absolutely nothing, they better write that on huge signs at the airports where the quality tourists arrive.

Your right they are deadly here in Thailand. That video shows how wrong it can go. Absolutely shocking. As a car driver here I don't always know what to do. If you stop for a Zebra crossing people behind you honk the horn and on the sides they still pass you.

I feel that in Thailand all things should be regulated by traffic lights (not that they are always obeyed) 

Though in the Netherlands had my bad experience too. I was used to Hoorn (smaller town) that cars always stopped for them (you could enter them without looking a lot). Then I went to study in Amsterdam and foolishly thought it was the same. I was lucky my friends pulled me back or I would have been hit by a car. In Amsterdam they don't always mean that much (at least back when I studied there). But of course they meant a lot more then in Thailand. 

• Like 1

Not only poorly marked but poorly lit.  Suk road on any day of the week has long stretches of lights out.  This carnage will continue until the police are made to work at night and drive about arresting speeding/drunken drivers + those without lights.  

I was astounded on Monday to find I was following a police pickup complete with flashing lights.  It was following two motor cycles without lights.  Then it turned off; the driver was obviously on his way home (from the pub?)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Zebra crossing sin Thailand, purely decorative. That one in particular is just plain ridiculous. I would guess that average speed along there is 60-80kmh. People simply will not stop. Either need traffic lights or an overhead bridge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrJohnson said:

That one in particular is just plain ridiculous. I would guess that average speed along there is 60-80kmh. People simply will not stop. Either need traffic lights or an overhead bridge.

I looked at it on Street View (March 2017).

Assuming that nothing has improved than this is indeed criminal negligence.

If a driver goes along this road he can hardly see them before getting close.

Also as there are no signs before the zebra crossing.

They would better scratch if off completely and put big warning signs for the unknowing tourists.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I live close to the intersection and drive by virtually every day. There is a pedestrian bridge 50 m away, but most Russians there prefer to walk across the road. The great danger is that some look right, when they should be looking left, and late at night, vodka may be a factor. Even slowing down for pedestrians is dangerous (for them), I slow down but the car behind me overtakes and zaps them as they come out of his blindspot.... I usually hoot and  make it quite clear that I ain't stopping, for their own safety!!!!!!

Looking at the video i wonder why the motorbike doesnt anticipate on the person crossing the road. There is no other traffic and it seems like the person is clearly visible.

The motorbike could have slowed down, passed on the left, passed on the right... its almost as if they are aiming for the russian.

• Like 1

Always blaming Thailand do people think bad things only happen here?

I got mowed down by a motorbike driven at high speed on a zebra crossing in Italy where they are supposed to stop and the rider was blaming me that I ran out too quickly onto the zebra crossing :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:.

Luckily I survived.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They actually stand out much better than before with the grubby white paint.

They recently upgraded the U turns in the area adding filter lanes specifically for u turners
I suppose thats part of the upgrades in preparation for the motorway extension opening which will bring even more traffic to the area.
I hope that traffic lights will be installed at this Ambassador/Mimosa junction to help breakup the almost constant stream of traffic and give everyone pedestrians and motorists a chance to get across the road.

Looking at the video i wonder why the motorbike doesnt anticipate on the person crossing the road. There is no other traffic and it seems like the person is clearly visible.

The motorbike could have slowed down, passed on the left, passed on the right... its almost as if they are aiming for the russian.

Sorry, but you dont know this stretch of road it is a very busy high speed "motorway"

Just before the crossing is a 7/11 that often has cars parked into the
most left hand "motorcycle" lane that could have easily obscured the Russian man from motorcyclists view until the last second, no time to react he justs poops out in front of the bike and bam !

The motorcyle didn't even slow down for the junction. They're lucky it's a man (RIP) and not a bus crossing the road. Idiots.

As for the Russian, I couldn't see clearly in the video but, if he is not used to the traffic system here, he could have looked the wrong way (they drive on the right hand side of the road in Russia, in Thailand it's on the left) i.e. looked to his left (instead of his right) before crossing the road, in which case it would've looked like it's safe to cross when in fact it isn't. Still, another unecessary loss of life on Thai roads.